“Great location in quiet area”

Best Western Hotel Karlaplan
Ranked #105 of 157 Hotels in Stockholm
“Great location in quiet area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Our 2 day plan was to visit Gröna Lund (Djurgården) and to do shopping. The hotel was located in a very good spot for this. We had 20 min nice walk to Gröna Lund and the same to get to shopping area. Parking was easy to find close to the hotel and price cheaper than in many other areas. We upgraded our room and it was ok. Beds were nice but the room was a bit warm and could have had "thicker walls". Breakfast was good but we missed some white bread for our daughter. Dust bin was and where you place the used trays was placed next to the food (!?!). Personel was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ull-123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Have stayed in around 20 hotels in Stockholm of similar type over the years and this one ranks with the top 5 I have used. Its quiet, staff are friendly and helpful and its clean. Breakfast is fairly typical fare and you need to be early to get full choice. Close to Karlaplan Tunnelbannan station and there is great little shopping Mall on block down on Valhallavagen which has 2 supermarkets and even a McDonalds.
It was warm at end of June and humid so room got very warm at night and as room doors open outwards you could not leave open to create a trough draught but they provided me with fan which at least helped. As with nearly all budget style hotels curtains are thin so if you are light sleeper like me you need to take eye mask as by 3.30 it was very light in room.

I understand that there are some rooms which do not have a window so was slightly cautious when booking and asked for a room with window.

There was a bus strike on so most buses were not running but number 42 was so this enabled me to get to most places I needed and the Subway system works well and is clean and safe. Also its only about 20 mins walk down Skeppergattan to Strandvagen and onto Skansen/Djurgarden if you are planning to visit the Museums etc.

Room Tip: Rooms on Skeppargatan are quieter as its no through road, but they do get sun in June so by end day...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I participated to Stockholm marathon with my wife. This hotel was conveniently located, it was about 15 minutes walk to the Olympic stadium. You can get to the hotel easily via subway from the train station. Most importantly the price of the room was affordable. We booked a queen room via booking.com and we were a little bit worried of the bed size, which was said to be only 140cm wide. To our surprise the bed seemed to be wider than we expected (it was at least 160cm). The room in the basement floor was clean and spacious enough for two, and we even had a street-level window near the ceiling. Also we had no problems with wi-fi. The breakfast was very good and the free evening meals were a delightful surprise. The only downside was the small seating capacity of the restaurant. Reception staff was friendly and helpful. If I participate the Stockholm marathon again, I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Nis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I was with one friend there and we get one double room. Its was very small room where you can't open the windows .They also have wlan internet in the rooms but signal it was very low and it's seems that you dont have it. The breakfast and light diner are not tasty. You need to be very careful about your documents and money because someone is stealing there.
If you have money I suggest to have a look to other hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Laki310

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I'm a Platinum Best Western Rewards member so i was upgraded to a much larger room upon arrival. Breakfast spread was good, with a decent selection of hot food and cold cuts. What surprised me was that evening meals are complimentary! Every evening the hotel prepares a dish and invites guests to help themselves. The basic juices, water and coffee and tea are also provided for free but you have to pay if you order other drinks. This is a nice touch as food in Stockholm and in Sweden in general, can be pretty expensive. The reception staff were nice and friendly and allowed me to check out much later. Location is perhaps not right smack in the center of Stockholm but i had to be in Karlaplan so it suited me well. It is only 5 minutes walk to the train station, 3 minutes to the supermarket.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lakecomo28
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Hotels are very expensive in Stockholm. Luckely this one made a very good price for me. I had a twin bedroom. This room was spacious enough and very clean. Be carefull, some rooms in this hotel are very small, some colleagues of me had some complaints about this.

There was free wifi in the hotel, but this was not working very well. I've use my 3G more often.

The breakfast was ok. A good choice and good quality.

The hotel is situated in a quit area. If you prefere to be in a more ambiant enviroment, I suggest to have a look to other hotels.

Overall I had a good feeling about the value for money.

Room Tip: Be carefull, do not book a small room, these are really small.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The room was small but enough for me. I slept well and I was very satisfied with the location, close to the subway and Stockholm Stadion. The breakfast was good, not that big but enough for everyone. Free WiFi and very nice personnel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
Norrmalm
BEST WESTERN Capital Hotel
#106 of 157 in Stockholm
BEST WESTERN Royal Star
#93 of 157 in Stockholm

Been to Best Western Hotel Karlaplan? Share your experiences!