“Good value for money, great location”

Best Western Hotel Karlaplan
Ranked #105 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Located in one of Stockholm's best neighborhoods. Very good value for money, considering how expensive Stockholm is. Metro and buses nearby. Also, Red Hop-on-hop-off Karlaplan bus stop is close to the hotel. Near some parks too.
Nice breakfast. Rooms were clean. Adequate storage room available after check-out.
Wi-fi and mobile connection not very good in our room, but maybe it was because we had a nice and quiet room downstairs, located at the end of the hallway.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.
Child friendly, with some toys, colored pens, paper and books available in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good wi-fi connection, if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula G
HotelKarlaplan, Front Office Manager at Best Western Hotel Karlaplan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2015

Dear Proenca707,

Thank you for your feedback! We are constantly working on improving our service and our facilities. I was happy to read your Review and hope that you had a fantastic time here in Stockholm!

Most welcome back!

Best regards
Melina/Front Office Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I suppose really nice hotels have their own unique feeling, as opposed to the universal Hilton, and this hotel has a little of that: I understand it is owned by the Salvation army, and certainly the rooms have a slightly barracksy feel. Still the hotel has a bit of its own charm, nice facade, nice courtyard (which you can see, but I think can't access), nice flight of stairs.

My wife and I shared our tiny room (and we're pretty short, fortunately). Had a view of the street, which was nice, but had to climb over the bed to get to the window. Curtains did a crappy job of keeping out the summer light. No cupboard for obvious reasons (no space). Above average bathroom.

Breakfast was nice, and the hotel seemed largely occupied by Swedes, which might mean one of many things, but hopefully was a good sign.

Anyway, for the price, this is a perfectly reasonable stay. Hotels in Stockholm appear to be insanely overpriced, but if you are hell bent on a holiday here, I think you could do a lot worse. Big Plusses for me were the area, which was handsome (rather than pretty) and the fact you could literally walk to Djurgarden, which truly is very nice.

I would stay here again, but since don't plan to return to Sweden in a hurry, I probably won't...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is awarded 4 star but did not feel like 4 star at all. Inside is an open planned reception and dining area which felt dark and outdated with its furniture. Walking towards our room, the furnishing of the actual building felt really old and in need of modernisation. Me and my dad upgraded to a double room which at most really a spacious single room with 2 small single beds. The room had a wardrobe, small TV, no refrigerator and no safe. To be honest, I felt slightly let down and disappointed by the lack of these items given that it is meant to be of 4 star standard. The room was kept clean everyday although one day, we had an issue with the cleaning lady as they have not cleaned our room despite putting up the sign. They didn't because we apparently have not left the room early enough for them to do so (mind you we left the room at 11am, so did they want us to leave before 9am?). The service in general were bordering poor to average. Didn't really feel that warm vibe towards them.

In my opinion, I would give this hotel 2 stars and no more than that. It provides a clean room but expect nothing more than that. The location is great as it is accessible to karlaplan station which is close to t-centralen and the main tourist spots in Stockholm. It's very quiet as it is situated in residential area. I recommend looking around and reading other reviews before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We got very small rooms in the cellar. I was lucky enough to get a room with a window - my colleague was not... It's amazing how it is even possible to have a windowless hotel room in a "civilized" country. And the rooms were not cheap, around 115 eur... which was a special price negotiated by our travel agency. Book directly from the hotel and pay more!
Otherwise nothing to complain. Rooms were clean, location ok and breakfast was average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.. :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was fine. The location's good. The room was clean. The reception staff were polite and helpful. But one morning, the cleaning lady opened our door even though we had left up the 'Do not disturb' sign. We told her we did not need service that day. 20 minutes later, another cleaning lady burst in. This one actually walked into the room while we were in it! I repeated to her that we did not need service and she actually made an unpleasant face at me and looked around the room (which was not even messy) disapprovingly. Very rude. It's a Best Western, not a youth hostel. Not sure I would stay here again for this reason. Maybe some door chains would be good to add, so the room cannot be opened from the outside when guests are in the room?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Karlaplan is the second stop from the main station and the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk. We had a room on the 8th floor, very quiet. The reception is friendly and helpful. The beds, springbox, were a bit springy for my taste and it was funny that there is absolutely no storage space. Even the handles on the cupboards are fake! But if you don't mind living out of a suitcase in a reasonably priced hotel you will find this OK. Breakfast was more than enough and they even provide a simple evening meal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dick Z,

Thank you for your feedback! We are constantly working on improving our service and our facilities. We hope that you had a fantastic time here in Stockholm!

Most welcome back!

Best regards
Melina/Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Friendly reception, but the '2nd floor' room turned out to be half below street-level, rather dark with high windows. The evening I spent there had the bonus of a free meal in the rather basic breakfast-room - not exactly high-quality food, but adequate for a single traveller not looking for a long evening out (and restaurants in Stockholm aren't exactly cheap!)
Breakfast was ok - no more, no less. Able to check in for the evening flight, and refreshingly the hotel doesn't charge for printer paper! Free wi-fi too although I had to go to the lobby for a decent signal.

Room Tip: Above ground!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business