“Special place but it did not work for us...”

Sven Vintappare Hotel
Ranked #81 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My sister and I wanted to stay in Gamla Stan and you can't beat the location of the Sven. The service was great and the breakfast was substantial. We stay in unique hotels when we can but unfortunately this didn't work for us. The place is amazingly old, which is really cool but couldn't accomodate how tall we are! My sister is 6 feet tall and I am 5'10. We had room #1 and there was a step up to the bathroom and we hit our heads more than once. The use of the bathroom space was great with a shower tucked into a corner, however only having a shower curtain meant water got all over the floor and made it very slippery. We are in our 50's and were concerned with falling so we checked out even though we'd pre-paid. I don't know what the other rooms are like and I am not suggesting people not stay here. I just wouldn't recommend this room for tall people and perhaps older folks who might have trouble with the stairs and who might be afraid of falling.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank alliswell252
There are newer reviews for Sven Vintappare Hotel

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I think that many people come to here have a cafe but TripAdvisor don't give an option to review only that part.

Anyway, cafe (25 SEK) is normal machine cafe, hot chocolate (35 SEK) is Nestle but cakes (25-35 SEK) are good home made ones.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stockholm's hotels are expensive and this one is no exception but is reasonable value in comparison to many others in the city. The hotel only has a handful of rooms and all are different. I had room 5 (on the 3rd floor) -- fairly quiet except for the occasional rowdy tourist wandering through the old town late into the night. Very centrally located in Gamla Stan on a quiet side street. Reasonable breakfast selection (but would be improved with some fresh orange juice). Reception closes in the evening and opens again in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The building was built in 1607. Liked the character of the building. Do not expect a modern room that you would see in a large hotel. That being said the bathroom was upgraded not too long ago. Room was what we needed for our stay. Staff was very helpful when I called for a late check in. Breakfast was more than adequate. Nice location for touring Gamla Stan neighborhood.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyMeg
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in a double room two adults and two kids age 4 and 6 who slept on a mattress on the floor. This hotel is very unique: Building dates from the 1600s and it has subtle, classic Swedidh decor. The service we had with Beatrice was just excellent. After just having arrived from the US we had bad jet lag the first night and my daughter and I arrived downstairs early for breakfast. Beatrice gave us some juice and asked us when we would like breakfast the next day. She was super nice and helpful.
The hotel shows its age in things like sloped floors and narrow stairs. Our first night was a Saturday and with the windows open it was very noisy in Gamla Stan.
We really loved this hotel and its character, cute rooms, cozy cafe, coffee all day, and excellent service.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I visited the Sven Vintappare mit my sister and my mum. We booked two superior romms (room no. 2 and no.4). We were welcomed very warmly as we arrived in the small but cosy cafe inside the hotel. The hotel was built in 1607 and still has a very oldfashioned but stylish feeling to it. First one has to climb the narrow and steap stairs which is not a problem if you are not in a wheelchair. We were very surprised by the huge size of the rooms. They are about 30 square meters big and equipped with the cosiest beds ever, a small tv, a small kitchen area, a desk and a sitting area. The rooms had 4 windows which is very unusual for stockholm where you often find rooms without any windows at all! The bathroom is small with marble walls and floor and a wonderful floor heating. They are equipped with everything we needed.

Breakfast is served in the small cafe downstairs and they are offering a wide variety of different food.

The hotel is located very centrally, right in the heart of the old town Gamla Stan. Everything important can be reached by foot. There is also a small super market in the neighborhood.

Over all the Sven Vintappare is a very personal, cosy, friendly and also stylish hotel which is definetly worth the price. I will come back for sure!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank corrinska
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My wife and I spent two weeks touring Scandinavia. Sven Vintappare is just what you want in a beautiful historic city like Stockholm.

Located in Gamla Stan (the old city), it is surrounded by narrow cobblestone streets, and quaint little alleys. LOTS of restaurants and bars, but in the winter it wasn't that crazy--I would imagine that peak season is a different story. The location was perfect--easy access to everything.

The building is small, but the rooms are quite comfy--very "old world." They even use skeleton keys! The service was excellent...we spent quite some time talking to our host, who was very warm and enthusiastic to speak with us. That is definitely a plus.

The breakfast is served in the cafe on the ground floor, and is VERY comfy and warm. My wife swears this is the best place we have ever stayed.

OK, about the stairs: we had two large bags, and I had to carry them up the MOST steep stairs I have ever seen--our room was on the top floor. It was hard...but, that being said, I CAN'T WAIT TO STAY HERE AGAIN! This experience was so nice, that the stairs are not an issue at all.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple