“Good location but disappointing.”

City Lodge Stockholm
Ranked #146 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed there for just one night in the biggest room they have (for 18 people), the space was very limited, beds were quite noisy and there was just one shower for all of us...there were more downstairs, but it was a bit unconfortable. We visited Stockholm in August and despite of renting the sheets (first time I see this in a hostel) we were all a bit cold during the night as the skinny blanket was not enough.

The location is quite fine actually, you just need to walk a few minutes to get in some of the most interesting places of the city.

Just the last note: some of the staff were a bit mean with us (two of them told us up to three times that we did not pay when it was actually the first thing we did, and also, one of them showed very unflexible with the luggage room as we were going to take a flight during the night) but I would not blame the whole Hostel as there was a couple of them very nice with us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank VMogar

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I needed a place to stay in Stockholm for just one night and wanted to be as close to the train station as possible, so in that sense City Lodge is perfect. Two minute walk and very easy to find (and also right by the city centre and Stockholm's 'old town'). Very welcoming although somewhat confused staff. There is a common area and a kitchen which seemed nice, although I didn't make use of them. Free wi-fi.

I stayed in a single room (with shared bathroom). The room was rather small but seemed clean. It is probably good to know that most of the rooms don't have windows, but the hostel does make this clear when one books. It did not bother me in a single room (also, I'm not claustrophobic), but I can imagine that it could get a bit stuffy in a dorm room, especially in the summer. I had to rent sheets and towel (you can also bring your own), but I feel that this should be included (especially as you pay 590SKR per night in a single room). I have found another hostel/hotel that charges the same price (if one includes the sheets at City Lodge), but with private toilet and shower (not as close to the train station, however).

The common toilets and showers are clean and of decent standard, but there didn't seem to be too many of them. As I was there on a Saturday night there was no queue, but I can imagine that it can get rather busy in the mornings at times. Also, there are no separate toilets or showers for men/women, which is quite common in hostels, but which may seem off-putting to some. It did make me a little bit uncomfortable, especially as there is no (dry) place to get dressed after showering - makes things a bit complicated.

Overall a place that I would definitely recommend for people who are not too fussy, only staying for a night or two and who appreciate the proximity to the train station (for example if you have a lot of luggage, or you don't want to bother with public transport). For a longer stay I'd prefer to have more privacy (for the same price), even if it means staying a bit farther away from the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Scarlet8201
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I attended a concert in Stockholm and had a flight early in the morning, so I decided to spend the night in this hostel.

The location is perfect. I booked a place in a 4-Bed dorm. However, upon arrival I was told that there was some bug in the system and they can only offer me a place in a 5-Bed room. I got free bedsheets as a compensation though.

There is a nice kitchen with a refrigerator, a microwave and all necessary appliances.
No wifi.
There is one shower and two toilets. Some rooms have basins (mine didn't). There's also a hairdryer.

I came to the hostel around midnight and left at 5 am. That was really uncomfortable, because someone was sleeping on the floor (I didn't turn the lights on and almost stepped on that person) and the beds were REALLY squeaky. I bet I woke up everyone when I was preparing for sleep, and I myself woke up every time someone was moving in their sleep.

That was my first (and probably my last) time staying in a hostel so I have limited experience, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank teenidle
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The only good is the location near the Central Train and Bus Station (and cheap price for a dorm bed). The bed is dirty and I felt itchy in the middle of the night, even though I've brought my own clean sheets and pillow case. There's no window and it's stuffy and hot, feels like there is no air to breathe, even though there are fans on the floor. People sneeze and cough and everyone inhales the germs. The mattress is old and uncomfortable and is indented in the middle. The chairs are stained and dirty. There's no room to open your suitcase or backpack; you'll be tripping people! Fortunately I didn't book the single room- it's also no window and is just behind a thin screen in the middle of a 16 bed dorm room but the price is 5 times higher! I left after one night. There are far better and more decent options nearby

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed for one night in a double room. There is a separation between walls and roof so that you can hear all the noise from the contiguous dormitory. We booked this room because we had to wake up early in the morning, for not to be disturbed during the night and, above all, for not to disturb anybody when we woke up at 3 a.m. On room's description they warn about the separation between walls and roofing but they say that it is an independent room beside a multiple dormitory but, in fact, it is a room INSIDE the dormitory so when you need to go out the room you have to go through the dormitory. It is not useful at all to pay for a room like this because it is as if you were inside the common dormitory just behind a screen.
Apart from that, room and specially mattress and pillows were very dirty; quite disgusting.
It is quite well located, near from the Centralstation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

It is a very good place which is near the Central station.
A very good value and i have a room shared by 16 people.
I like the way the room encouage a quiet place for the people to live in.
The staff are really very nice and friendly.
But the place actually is a little bit dirtier than I think as it seems like the room is not cleaned everyday. I encouage people to bring a sleeping bed with you.
There is just one bathroom on the first floor and so I have to walk down to have a shower.
But actually this is a good place to stay for a short period of time with a good value and location.

Room Tip: Bring a sleeping bag and all the necessities with you