“Just a five stars hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #20 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tubize, Belgium
“Just a five stars hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

we booked a room without view on the city and we just saw a small street on the back. The hotel is very well located at walking distance of the old town, the city, shopping areas, bus terminal, station and ferries.
The rooms are cosy, clean. Bedding is perfect.
Just one remark, the hairdrayer was fixed in a drawer in the room and not in the bathroom. It was not easy to use it.
If we go back to Stockholm , we will book again this hotel without any hesitation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

The hotel is a standard business hotel. It is quite ordinary looking, both inside and outside. You pay for the location, which is really great so near the central station and Gamla Stan. Elevators are very slow, carpets in the halls are dirty, and it may difficult to find a place to sit at breakfast.
Rooms are spacious and well equipped with the possibility to make coffee or tea, a relatively large TV, safe, umbrella, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, and soaps and body lotion+ other useful stuff. There is a minibar, but drinks and snacks are very expensive. You get what you need for a comfortable stay. I thought the bathrooms should be equipped with a toilet brush, and it could have been cleaned better as spots and dust in corners were very visible. My room at the fifth floor was quiet and I slept very well. I also enjoyed the breakfast. Lots of different types of food to choose from, and I particularly liked the freshly made omelettes.
I was quite shocked to find that the room rate did not include free internet. This is 2011! Internet is part of people's life. There is the possibility to use computers in the lobby, but for people wanting to use skype for talking with friends and family, or to see news broadcasts from home, it is not a good substitute. If you want to use the wireless internet connection for more than 30 minutes a day, you have to pay more. Cheaper hotels (with three or four stars nearby include free Internet access in their price.)

We were a large group staying in the hotel for two nights, and paid between SEK1900-2000 pr room pr night. I think that is quite expensive, but it was clear that we were the low-status guests. The view of most of our nearly 20 rooms were facing the back, so pretty uninteresting.
I passed one of the room service trolleys in the hall, and I noticed that it was full of small chocolates that probably are put on the pillows in some of the rooms for visitors to enjoy. Not an uncommon thing to do in order to surprise guests. However, none in my group got these chocolates, so I guess we did not pay enough for the rooms to deserve this treat (we paid more than SEK70000 for the two nights altogether). This chocolate is not a big deal, but I thought it made the hotel appear pretty unwelcoming. It's like they want you to know that they think you didn't pay enought for the room to deserve all the complimentary items other guests get. If I are to book and pay myself, I don’t think I will book a room in this hotel. I don’t think it is worth it.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2011
Dear “quickstep09”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on Tripadvisor. It is certainly with mixed feelings that I am reading your review; there is plenty of good feedback, but also a number of things that makes me feel a bit worried.

To begin with, I can assure you that we are working on improvements with regards to carpets (will be replaced soon) and lifts (undergoing renovation right now). The crowded breakfast area is explained by the fact that August is one of our absolutely busiest months – however we always strive to shorten the waiting times as much as possible.

I would like to send my sincere apologies for the lack of cleanliness in your room. It should simply never occur in our hotel! I am also terribly sorry for the misunderstanding regarding the chocolates. We have a total of 465 rooms, and each night around 20-40 frequent Starwood guests are staying with us (Sheraton is part of the Starwood chain). These guests are away from home many nights a year and we try to do something special for them, such as placing chocolate in their rooms. It has never been our intention to make other guests feel less valuable!

Finally, just like you mentioned, we offer free wifi in the bar and lobby area, and we have guest computers at the Sheraton Link. All rooms have 30 minutes of free Internet access. After that, you pay SEK 100/day for a first-class connection (actually, after carrying out a survey among our guests, the majority turned out to agree to paying as long as the network is 100% reliable).

I can assure you that I will discuss your comments with my team and investigate how we can improve. Once again, thank you for caring. And – of course – welcome back!

Warm regards,
Paul Peters, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

WOW. The hotel is right in the middle of everything. Rooms very 5 star. Breakfast was one of the best i have had. Room service was delish and the service comes with a smile every time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I enjoyed the stay at this hotel especially for its location, which is very close to the old town and train station. Also, Sheraton's free internet and computer usage at the lobby is always a plus. However, some drawbacks make me want to try other properties in the next visit.

While the price is not unreasonable based on the Swedish standard, the room, facility and service are not quite aligned with the cost, which is about 300 USD on average. For example, the rooms, furnitures, baths are clean yet simple. There is nothing luxurious about the setting. The facilities such as fitness center and sauna are basic like a 3-star property. Breakfast is delicious with many choices, but the dining area (staff and space) lacks the ability to accommodate a large number of guests and gets chaotic during the high season. The walls are thin so it becomes a problem when your neighbors are making noises.

Again, this is not a bad hotel but for the price it charges, I feel a bit hesitant to stay again unless there is some good deal.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed here for 4 great nights August 12 to the 16th. This hotel was perfect! Nice big rooms, very comfortable beds, and walking distance to everything you would ever want to do in Stockholm !!.. The Hotel is right across the river from Gamla Stan and a few short blocks away from the central square and shopping district. If you are arrving by the Arlanda Express it is only a 5 minute walk from Central Station. This hotel can be a bit pricey if you do not get an internet special but well worth it... highly recommended for a comfrtable stay in Stockholm !!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LawrenceToronto
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our first trip to Sweden. We stayed on the club floor. The additional cost was well worth the expense, with breakfast buffet and evening beverages included. However, as with most club or executive lounges, the lounge is way too small. On the plus side the lounge is open on the weekends, without Concierge , unlike some chains who advertise executive lounges but close them for the weekend.
The hotel location is about three blocks from where the Arlanda Express drops you off. Also, there are no signs indicating which way it is to Gamla Stan or the Sheraton. A quick look at a map BEFORE you go is very helpful. During summer there is a two for one deal using the Arland Express, making it a very easy transfer to the hotel, if you are willing to roll your bags for three blocks. I am a AARP member and it was no problem for me. The hotel is located across a bridge from the old town, Gamla Stan, making a trip to the old town and the Royal palace a relatively short walk.
The hotel itself is not particularly good looking and I would describe it as a typical business hotel. I was able to get a reasonable rate and it met our needs.

Room Tip: Club floor rooms also include internet access.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. It is great to read that you liked the club floor and had the possibility to enjoy breakfast and evening snacks. The summer is a very busy period and we are of course happy that so many Stockholm visitors choose to stay with us - however it sometimes leads to a crowded lounge.

I hope you will consider returning to Sweden in the future!
Welcome back and warm regards,

Paul Peters, General Manager
Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Great position good size rooms and nice view great breaky would stay again it's not the Westin but pretty good

• Stayed August 2011