“An older Sheraton... in need of an upgrade”

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“An older Sheraton... in need of an upgrade”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Nothing terribly wrong with the hotel - but the rooms are old. They are in need of an upgrade. In fact, it's more on par with a Four Points than it is with the Sheraton brand. And at the prices they charge almost $400US per night, they should be ashamed that they have labeled it a Sheraton.

On the plus side they have super comfy beds and duvets. And an absolutely gorgeous view in a nice area. The lobby is nice as well and the fitness center is really good. And the front desk staff are super friendly. They also have a good breakfast with fresh fruit, fresh bread, cinnamon rolls and made to order omelettes. But as I stated the rooms are quite dated and the bathrooms and showers are pretty sad. They have one of the showers without a door so water gets all over the floor. And although they offer a club lounge with free drinks and snacks, it is so small that not everyone can sit or fit. They need to expand this area.

If the price were 1/2 of what it was, I would've given it another star. But at these prices and with the Sheraton label, I expected more.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the rooms overlooking the river - absolutely beautiful and bright.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear TravelinShane,

Thank you for taking the time to giving us feedback on your stay at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel in August. I can assure you that we appreciate all kinds of feedback and take all comments seriously.

It is great to read about your good experience from our breakfast, beds, view and location. However, I am sorry that your experience was not as good as you had expected for the price paid. August is one of our busiest months, which has a great impact on the rates. But most of the time, it is possible to find good deals on our website.

Our property is constantly updated and right now we are planning for new carpets, renovated lifts and an upgraded air conditioning system. Should you come back to Stockholm - please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will make sure you are offered a very nice room.

Paul Peters, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I just recently completed a three night stay in Stockholm at the Sheraton and have to report back that this place is indeed a mixed bag of good & not so good things.

First off, the things I like:

1) That there's a Sheraton in Sweden. For whatever unknown business or political reasons, chains like Hilton & Starwood & Hyatts just don't have much of a presence in the Scandinavian region. So while the rest of my vacation I spent at a mix of Norway & Swedish hotels and B&B's, it was nice to have a "familiar brand" to spend the first few days of my trip at.

2) The hotel is close to the train station! It took about 10 minutes to walk from the Arlanda Express platform to the Sheraton. You'll see signs inside the train station pointing the way to the Sheraton. The only hotel that is closer to the train station would be a Raddison.

3) I asked to get a room with a King bed and it turns out they really do have real king beds (instead of two twins smashed together). The duvets are sizes for twin beds though so one will cover you and the other your significant other.

4) In the work desk you'll find electrical outlets for American, British and European plugs (very handy!).

5) The gym is really really well equipped.

6) I was happy there was a room safe. With a little bit of acrobatic turning, I could fit my 15" MacBookPro into it and there's an electrical outlet inside it for recharging devices.

For being a SPG Gold Member, upgrades are never expected but I'm always thankful whenever they do happen. If I remember correctly, I believe I was placed into what the hotel calls a "Superior" room, which simply means a room with a view of the water / city. It's still a standard room and what you do not get in a standard room is: robes, slippers, an alarm clock radio with an iPod dock (or even a clock to begin with, morning newspapers at your door, a clothes iron (there was a shelf / obvious space for it in the closet so it may have been simply missing). In the bathroom there were exactly two towels of large size, two towels of smaller size and two washcloths (which I was thankful for, most European hotels don't usually have these).

The things I didn't like so much (and these are the same things that you'll see mentioned in many other reviews):

Back in the standard / "superior" room's bathroom, there's no toilet brush next to the European-style low flow toilets so to clean excess dirt out from the bowl requires about four or five extra flushes, which kind of defeats the environmental purpose of low-flow toilets.

The cramped reception area experiences frequent crowding and long queues in front of the desks for both check-in and check-out.

The locked down hair dryer was hidden in a non-expected space under the TV.

Climate control is incredibly weak (also known as the common "A/C doesn't work" thing you'll see in all the reviews here). I opened the window and the stuffy room cooled down very quickly, but the "view" side of the building also gets exposed to a lot of road and train noise outside so if you're noise sensitive, go for the "courtyard" facing rooms.

I did a quick peek into the lounge and turned out to not be jealous of the SPG Plats or people that had spent money to get access into it. The lounge is indeed small and very dull. All drinks are served from a dispenser (i.e. unlike other Sheraton lounges, there are no bottles that you can carry back to your room… that's what the mini-bars are there for).

Dinner was a little too bland, and I probably would've been happier spending the 750 SEK / $120 USD somewhere else. The morning breakfast buffets in the restaurant were among the best I've ever seen in Scandanavia but make sure you come downstairs in time (in case you like to sleep in, like me). At 10:30 or 11 a.m. (the earlier shutdown time is during the week), the staff starts putting things away and cleaning things up with almost military precision.

I spent 2270 SEK per night (360 USD) which I felt was somewhat excessive but the rate I chose came with Internet and included breakfast. There is indeed 30 minutes of free internet time per room, and once you exhaust that, internet costs 35 SEK for one hour and 100 SEK (16 USD) for 24 hours. Breakfast buffet is 259 SEK (~40 USD) per person so if you can find a breakfast rate where the benefit of prepaying for breakfast is better than the cheapest non-breakfast rate, go for it!

Would I stay here again? Whew! Hard to say. The entire bill for three nights came out to 7000-something SEK, which is the equivalent of $1000 USD (closing in on some of the prices I've seen at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton). If you can get a rate for less than this I'd consider trying again… and of course there are plenty of potentially more "bang for the buck" competitors to discover just by browsing around here on TripAdvisor.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: flash your SPG Gold card if you have one... it may help you out a tiny bit
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelInSF
New York, NY
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here to test out hotels for our guests to stay for our July 2012 wedding in Stockholm. As SPG Gold members, we were familiar with the brand and also liked its central location on the water. We booked the regular double room with no view no breakfast for 1495kr and were upgraded to the superior room with balcony and view and given vouchers for half price breakfast (this was all due to having gold status). The view and balcony were amazing. Stockholm really is a breathtakingly beautiful city.

We were given tours of all the different room categories and what we noticed is that all the rooms are pretty much the same. Even the largest suites, which run into the thousands/night, are just larger versions of the smallest rooms, some with dining areas, and in corner locations with a view. The suites are not particularly fancy or opulent, just large, which is fine if you need the space, but in our opinion not worth the money. (On the other hand, the suites at the Grand Hotel are definitely worth the splurge.) If you don't plan on being in the room that much, the rooms with no view are the best value, and I can promise you that you are not missing out on anything except maybe a few more square feet of space and a view.

The breakfast was certainly expansive, but left a bit it be desired for me. It's definitely way better than most American hotel buffet breakfasts, but as far as Swedish ones go, it was just ok. I can't imagine having to pay full price for it! It is a lot of food, though, so I think the buffet would be more than enough to satisfy most people.

In the end, we ended up choosing this hotel for our guests because it was by far the nicest with the best value. We looked at about a dozen other hotels during our stay (though we only actually stayed here and at the Grand - see other review) and the Sheraton and the Grand were definitely at the top. The Lydmar is nice, too, but way too expensive for what it is. My only little bit of negative feedback is that if you are looking for that Scandinavian feel or experience, you will have to venture outside the Sheraton. It's a big, corporate feeling hotel (but a lot nicer than any other Sheraton I have ever stayed at - and I've stayed at a lot for business, in fact, it's nicer than most Westins I have stayed at, too). The Swedish hotels will give you more of an authentic feeling, if that is what you are after.

Room Tip: Harbor view, but all the rooms are pretty much the same on the inside
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mpc245
Dear "mpc245",

Here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel we are happy and proud to take part of your feedback! And it is great news that you are getting married in Stockholm next year.

I wish you good luck with the planning of your wedding - and Welcome back!

Paul Peters, General Manager

ps. We will certainly consider your comments regarding breakfast and make improvements with regards to variety.
Great Ouseburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We struck lucky. 125 ukl ro is a good deal in this expensive city. Check out all web sites before booking. Great location. Room good. Staff good. As a tight Yorkshireman I am a happy man. But now in Tallin where three nights inc breakfasr is just 140 ukl it just makes you think..... Check out my review soon...

• Stayed August 2011
Stockholm, Sverige
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Since I travel the world, I think I can trurly say that I know what standards i expect from a five star hotel.
Stockholm Sheraton Hotel is second to none, a staff who work as a team and always are there to serve you, I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions and the service has always been above paar, well done Sheraton.

The 360 degree resturant is just a pleasure to eat and dine, food out standing, service again great, the only thing the location is not 100% how ever every thing else is.

The rooms I have stayed in are just what the doctor ordered, space, clean and most of all a bed which is so easy to fall asleep in.

Price wise if one can choose the right time of the year value for money.
I look forward to my next stay at this hotel.

kindest regards.
team work

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank neil f
Dear neil f,

Thank you for posting this nice review including the fantastic score! I am happy to know that you are able to feel at home at our hotel and are planning to return. We take great pride in having one of the best hotel teams in Stockholm.

Welcome back soon!

Paul Peters,
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Yes this is part of a major chain. However, the earlybird prices are very competitive in any town let alone Stockholm. The standard rooms are very acceptable and large as you would expect from a Sheraton. Just a short walk away is the Old Town with its great attractions and restaurants, and the newer town is behind the hotel. The main station and the airport express terminal is just a few minutes away. In fact it would be hard to find a better located hotel that provides the level of comfort and service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2011
Dear “bh256tr”,

I am happy to read that you came all the way from Noosa – where I have actually been myself! – to have an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Thank you for your nice feedback, and we hope to see you back again some time in the future.

USA
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I do not get it at all. Why do people keep giving this place high ratings. What's funny to me is that many of the reviews give the hotel high ratings and then talk about it being overpriced, outdated and not worth it, yet they then give 4 or 5 stars.

It's ugly as sin on the outside.
It's ugly as sin on the inside.
It's outdated everywhere! Lobby, rooms, etc. The on saving grace is the restaurant which is updated, nice, and has decent fare.

Staff is friendly and the location is good.

The rooms are not scary or anything but they are drap and outdated. There is nothing Swedish and local about the room. It just feels like you're staying at your elderly aunt's house and she's giving you a room that hasn't been used in 46 years. It really feels like that. It felt depressing.

The location is great though, I have to say.

Since hotels are expensive in Stockholm in general, you should not waste your 250-500 USD here on a place that does not merit it. It's just a crappy, sullen drab, uninviting place to stay. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed.

Note: I don't think the beds are Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, either. And some of the furniture (the armoire) in my room was broken and could not be used.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear GlendaleCA,

The title of your review is a question that I think is being answered by many here on Tripadvisor – good location, excellent restaurant, friendly staff, great service, spacey rooms and a much appreciated club floor.

The building is listed as a landmark from the early 1970’s and cannot be changed on the outside – but on the inside we are constantly working on improvements. The hotel was completely refurbished in 2007, and right now we are renovating the lifts, replacing the carpets and planning for an upgraded air conditioning system.

I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Should you consider coming back, please contact us in advance and we will make sure you have a memorable stay.