“Brilliant Golden Wedding Experience”

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lincolnshire
“Brilliant Golden Wedding Experience”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

A belated celebration of our Golden Wedding took us to Stockholm and the Sheraton Hotel in September. This hotel is ideally situated, close to the landmark Town Hall and within easy reach of Gamla Stan (the Old Town area) and most must-visit attractions.

Our room, 822, was accessed by lift (oddly called a 'hiss' in Swedish) and well presented. It did not boast a great view but was quiet and comfortable with an exceptionally large bed, a writing desk with phone & WiFi, a safe for valuables, ample hanging space & coat hangers, a well stocked mini-bar, and plenty of drawers. The en-suite bathroom was accessed through a sliding door and provided a bath plus a powerful shower. All the usual toiletries were replaced as required. The TV was enormous with a variety of stations in several languages.

All the hotel staff are perfect English speakers (probably other languages, too) and are friendly and most helpful at all times. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them during our stay. We needed to print out our return boarding passes on the evening prior to our homeward flight and this was easily done with the assistance of a helpful young lady at the Reception Desk.

We enjoyed the breakfast in the Sheraton restaurant each morning. A very wide selection was on offer for those guests preferring a full cooked breakfast or for those looking for a lighter meal. Tea, coffee and orange juices were brought to our table and we helped ourselves to everything else. Top marks for the breakfasts at The Sheraton.

We also enjoyed our evening meals in the restaurant. After days of busy sightseeing around Stockholm, we were always too tired to venture out later in search of alternative eateries. The menu was good with a variety of starters, main meals of meats or different types of fish, salads and vegetables. The desserts were varied and beautifully presented. The menu changed during our four-day stay. The staff were multi-lingual, attentive at all times, and the service friendly and speedy. Top marks for the dinners at The Sheraton.

We did not use the gym and sauna facilities at the hotel but both were available and were accessed by lift.

There was a major medical conference taking place at The Sheraton during our stay but this did not in any way affect our comfort or the service provided to us.

My husband and I recommend The Sheraton, Stockholm, and will use it again if we make a return visit to this wonderful city.

Room Tip: Our room (822) was at the rear & overlooked an internal courtyard. This was ideal for us becaus...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jilllovescricket
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Golden Wedding Couple,

I am thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful experience from visiting Stockholm and staying at our hotel. It makes me proud to know that you were so well taken care of by the whole Sheraton team, especially since you were celebrating such a special occasion. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Warm regards and welcome back,

Paul Peters,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Location is ideal, steps away from central station and minutes walking to Gamla Stan.
Hotel is big and if you have a room overlooking lake Malaren is nice. There is a serious need of renovation though. Rooms and public areas look old if this is one's priority, could be annoying.
Breakfast is very nice, good quality friendly stahh(especially the greek cook) enjoyed very much. Also reception staff is extremely friendly and helpfull.
The package comes with a decent price. Would stay again fo sure.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
PaulPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear "djibrilliant",

Thank you for your feedback - I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel, and it makes me proud to know that our staff took such good care of you.

We are aware of the fact that the building is a bit worn down in some places, and we are in the process of upgrading - such as painting the rooms, exchanging the hallway carpets, replacing our old lifts and renewing the air conditioning system.

Warm welcome back to Stockholm and the Sheraton!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Why stay at a Sheraton in Stockholm? Well, on a busy weekend in September, there's not much else available. Besides, you pretty much know what you're getting: a decent sized room with a comfortable bed, in this instance, a good, central location, and because it's Stockholm - all delivered at an un-apologetically high price. However, one does expect Sheraton hotels (outside the US) to have helpful and knowledgeable staff. This is where this particular Sheraton failed to meet my expectations. First, a few days before checking in, I receive an email offering an upgrade to a club room for SEK500. As a SPG Gold member, I often receive such an offer [for free] at check-in, but why not. When I attempted to accept, I quickly received a reply saying the club rooms were sold out. OK., so why offer in the first place? Upon arrival, club rooms are still sold out (are there this many SPG members in Stockholm this weekend?) and if I wanted access to the lounge, it would be SEK800. What happened to the SEK500 offer? Then we requested assistance with restaurants. It seemed that every employee standing behind the Concierge sign was wearing a 'Trainee' badge. When I asked about the concierge on duty, the teenager responded that "we really do not have a concierge on staff when its not tourist season". Oh well, ... I guess I won't complain about the $300 dry cleaning bill and the lack of free WiFi access. In summary, my only advice is when in Stockholm, do as the Swedes do, stay at a Swedish hotel. Avoid the Sheraton if you can.

Room Tip: Ask for a Superior room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear “markdolph”,

Of course it is not good news to us that our hotel did not meet your expectations.

September has been a very busy month for us so far, and we are happy that so many Stockholm visitors choose to stay with us. However, it can sometimes affect the overall experience for some of our guests, but I can assure you that we always strive to give the best possible to service to everyone.

I understand your frustration for the fact that you were asked if you would like to upgrade to a club room, and then we turned out not to have any club rooms available. Most likely, the last club rooms were reserved between the time you received the e-mail and the moment that you decided to make the upgrade.

I cannot apologize enough for the fact that you were not offered club access for 500 sek upon your arrival. It is true that we have some new staff on board at the front desk, but it should not affect our service – and concierge assistance is possible all year round.

Should you consider returning, please let us know in advance and I will arrange something extra special in connection with your stay.

Paul Peters, General Manager

Ps. Wifi is free in the lobby/bar area, and you have free access to the computers in our Sheraton Link. The wifi connection in each room is free for 30 minutes, and thereafter you pay for a reliable network connection including support.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed five nights earlier this month and I couldn't fault it. My husband was here on business and I was lucky enough to come too.
Our room was overlooking the courtyard, so no view, but I would certainly not call it a second class room. It was very comfortable with a lovely comfortable Kingsize bed, two comfy chairs, good lighting, plenty of wardrobe space and a supply of coffee and tea etc which was well stocked and replenished. The shower room was compact, but very well lit with a walk in shower and plenty of shelf space and towel rails. Towels and bedlinen were good quality and all was scrupulously clean - what more would I need?
The advantage of a room facing the courtyard is that there is no noise at all, so you get a very good night's sleep. The curtains were also very good at blocking out the light.
I tend to judge a hotel on how friendly and helpful their staff are, and I was very impressed by everyone I met here. They seemed genuinely very obliging. Yes, there always seemed to be queues at the desk, but we were always very well treated when it got to our turn. A very helpful lady concierge helped us find a suitable restaurant on one evening.
Breakfast was expensive, but they seem to often offer a discount at reception which makes it much more affordable. I really enjoyed the breakfast and it did set us up for the day. Again it was often very busy, but staff were always very pleasant and helpful.
Location was absolutely fantastic, with Gamla Stan just over the bridge and the station and T Bana just round the corner. Another plus point was the free Internet access in the lobby and plenty of seats in the lounge area, with no pressure to order coffee or drinks.
I would love the opportunity to stay in the Sheraton Stockholm again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Foss,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel – it truly makes me happy to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and would like to return. Our quiet courtyard rooms allow you to sleep very well right in the middle of the city and our beds are well-known for their comfort.

It makes me proud to know that you were so well taken care of by our staff – I believe we have one of the best hotel teams in Stockholm. My apologies for the queues at front desk; we are always striving to minimize the waiting times, but at busy times there can be some queuing.

Welcome back!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed here three nights at the end of May 2011. I read everyone saying it was so close to the train station but I was concerned that it was walkable with a suitcase when I was very tired and not yet oriented to Stockholm so I did Google maps and Google earth to see what to expect. I did not need to worry - though it was helpful to know I was going the right way. It was a straight shot to the hotel and no problem at all to walk it with my luggage.
My room was comfortable and very functional. I had a nice view of the water and the Stadshuset which I never got tired of looking at. The windows opened.
The first morning I looked out my window and saw the Stockholm marathon going by. I continued to see them the rest of the day as I walked around Gamla Stan, etc.
I made great use of the club lounge. The concierge who was there at peak times went out of her way to help me when I was having trouble finding a boat trip to the archipelago. She accompanied me down to the lobby where she was better able to help me find what I needed. She did the same when an issue arose with my checkout. I also had breakfast there two mornings and in the restaurant on the third morning. I had a drink and snacks in the lounge in the evening. There were also a couple computers to use there. The lounge was relatively small and got pretty crowded at times.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The staff was very friendly, but quite busy. The first room was small and faced a busy street (the cars almost at the eye level). The second room better, facing the tranquil inner yard (which had a scuplture, and wich would need some kind of upgrade, now it somhow looked like a prison camp...).

The bathroom was adequate, the bed comfortable, the quite busy breakfast ok.

There was nothing wrong with the hotel, but it did not feel luxurious at all.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Flying Finn,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel in May, 2011. It is indeed so that the street outside our hotel is busy during daytime, but you can hardly hear it through the windows. Just like you mention, the courtyard rooms are very quiet. Our building is listed as a landmark from the early 1970’s and we cannot make any major changes to the courtyard – although we would very much like to.

We are striving to give every guest a “wow” feeling when staying here. If you are planning to return, I hope we will succeed in making your stay even more memorable than the last one.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

There is no doubt the location of this hotel is outstanding. Very easy to get to by car and a carpark which you access from the hotel lobby. Proximity to the old part of town is outstanding as is the ease of access to most main tourist monuments. We had a room on the top floor with a balcony and a view which was also excellent.

However, it is important to note that at the very busy time of highseason (we were there for midsummer) the feeling was that lots of permanent staff were on holiday and temporary staff was there instead which is rather surprising as it severely affects the service standard. I could of course be wrong about the vacationing staff but for example queues of 10 people waiting to check in was a daily occurrence and a couple of times there were two of those lines. This inevitably lead to that if you wanted any kind of information for sightseeing or the like you had to wait, a long long time.
Also, if you wanted information on restaurants etc which weren't perhaps on their standard list or about going out to the islands but away from the standard route then I got the reply, more than once, oh I don't live here so I don't really know but here is an informationbooklet. Certainly not what I expect from this level of hotel!

Roomservice was also slow and not very good, again surprising for this type of hotel, and the service in the bar was autrocious! We had to wait first for 30 minutes to place an order, then 30 minutes more for the drinks (there were only 3 of us) and then 30 minutes to get the bill. This was not the fault of the personnel, it was the simple fact that in a packed bar there was only one person working behind the bar.

If this place wasn't so incredibly understaffed I would say that it was great, but because service was so severly lacking I can only give it and "average" vote.

Room Tip: balcony with a view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear “glutenfreeswede”,

I am grateful that you took the time to comment on your stay at our hotel, and I can assure you that we take your comment seriously. Just like you are writing, you stayed here during a very busy period and some of our staff had just started for the summer. However – you should still have received better service, without having to wait so long! My sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

I hope you will consider returning and experience a fully staffed hotel. Welcome back!