“Far from 5 stars”

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #25 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I've lived at several 5 stars hotels around the world, and Sheraton Stockholm Hotel does not deserve that amount of stars -

- The air conditioner was not working (well, it blew warm air in my face on any given settings).
- The beds were hard, and pillows too large.
- Constantly disturbed by noises from the hallway - in other words very little sound isolation.
- We had a three course dinner that tasted extremely bland - particularly the main course (chicken and risotto??)
- The breakfast was pretty alright, though our group had to call out to get the waitresses attention (e.g. coffee/juice) the second day of our stay.

As others have mentioned, Wifi priced 100 SEK for a 24 hours? This should be free of charge.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stanley S
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Stanley S,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at our hotel. It is very sad for me to take part of your review and to hear of your disappointment this time.

Rest assured we have picked your comments up internally, especially your description of the air conditioning, the beds and the food experiences.
I would be grateful if you could reach out to me directly, so I can dig deeper into the mishaps. I feel it is important to straighten things out immediately and look forward to hearing from your soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This hotel is comfortable, provides good food and a great nights sleep, is reasonably handy for Gamla Stan (although does require a good walk to get there) and more importantly, is handy for the Central Metro Station just around the corner. The breakfast can be expensive but there are pre-booked packages you can negotiate when checking in to keep the price of this down. Going for a higher floor gives better views if you can secure a room overlooking the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the front of the hotel are best
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Paul M,

Thank you - it is great to hear that you had a comfortable stay here with us at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel and your warming thoughts have been shared with my colleagues.
Stockholm is a fantastic city and I hope you will have a chance to come back one day.
There is plenty more to see and attractions to take part of. Why not do a Summer trip? Old Town looks just amazing during the Summer and Stockholm really shows why we call it Beauty by the Water!

Warm welcome back and warm regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend back in august '12 and to be honest we weren't around much, because of the gorgeous weather we happened into, There were a few drawbacks though - at check-in I was told my room was fully paid for, but I had to leave authorization of my card for "any extras" which is a bit excessive at 500SEK per night, and even having sufficient funds on my credit card didnt save me as this was my first transaction abroad in a while and some anti-fraud mechanism cancelled my card.... I was told there was no way for me to check-in in that case, even though the room had already been paid for... I have worked in some upmarket hotels myself and havent encountered such practice, for comparison - Hilton lets you check-in without the compulsory "extras" as long as your room has been paid for. Nevermind that, we have reached compromise with the receptionist that instead I leave a cash deposit, which was held at the hotel for the entire stay and returned to me on departure - although I dont quite understand the whole point of it as the mini-bar was locked anyway and nobody wanted to check the room when we were leaving - I am really baffled as to what purpose did it serve exactly? From there on the stay was pure pleasure - even though just a classic room, it was spacious, beds so comfortable that I thought I was in heaven and slept on a cloud - no exaggeration. My luggage had stayed behind at the airport and the staff phoned me promptly to inform me when it finally got delivered and someone was bringing it to my room as we speak, even argued with me when I offered to come down myself to collect it - luxury :) free computers and printing in the lobby came in handy when housekeeping mistook my friends train tickets home for rubbish (but its more of my friends fault - he's a scruff :P). Cant comment on any view, gym or spa - didnt use any as were trying to get the most of the city itself - it wasnt the kind of break where one sits in a hotel all day long and pesters staff :D Overall - VERY good hotel, just please get rid of those compulsory deposits - its embarrassing and is the only reason this review is marked down a bit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank moonlightam

Dear moonlightam,

Thank you for making the effort to post your feedback on your August stay 2012 here on Tripadvisor. Much appreciated.

It is nice to see your high scores but of course a bit sad to read that the check in was not flawless and took a while, due to the circumstances. I have forwarded your feedback to my colleagues in the front office team and we are in full preparation for the summer (only three months away).
Our check in standards are to always take a credit card or a cash deposit, but it seems to have been handled in a not too impressive way. After reading about your experiences I am a bit comforted to hear that the rest of your stay was much better. Especially nice to hear that you like or SweetSleeper beds. It is very easy to order one and have it delivered to your home - just let me know and I will send you all the details.
Keep your expectations high and feel free to let me know when our future paths will cross. I will personally make sure you are well taken care of.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

From the first moment as the kind reception staff treated me, my stay at Sheraton Stockholm was impeccable. Breakfast offers great variety and local Swedish tastes. Gym is small but very modern, has all that a traveler needs. Surely will repeat and recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mathias C,

Thank you very much for your great words. It makes me very happy and proud to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Stockholm and us!
We are all grateful for your recommendation to stay at our hotel and hope to see you back many times.

Let me know if there is anything special I can do for you.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

The location was great right by the central station and all the tourist spots. The staff are amazing and always willing to help. The hotel is a very clean and the rooms are comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if I come to Stockholm in the future.

Room Tip: You can get a better rate from online websites if you spend a little time searching.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Dear Wing Y,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Stockholm and us.

Should you come back to stay with us again, please let me know on forehand and I will make sure we arrange everything to your preferences.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel has a great strategic location - within 2 minutes walking to Gamla Stan, practically in the central train station, 5 minutes from main downtown shopping area, 10 minutes to ferry. The rooms are OK, a little outdated, but clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear dadintotravel,

How nice to see your comments here on Tripadvisor - much appreciated by us all. Your description of our location is spot on.
We are constantly looking at keeping the hotel in good shape and will bring your comments about the rooms forward to our hotel team.

You are always warm welcome back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Our mini vacation at Sheraton Stockholm hotel, was indeed a fantastic experience, friendly and helpful staff welcomed us at the reception. The rooms were great, wonderful beds and linen and fantastic view over the City hall and Stockholm. Excellent breakfast including all different items. The location is great with Old Town and Stockholm City center just outside the door. I have used this hotel for large group bookings, always good and friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear AnneW987,

A fantastic review from a fantastic guest! Thank you so much for commenting on your recent stay with us. This February month has been a bit on the chilly side. The temperature might be below zero outside, but on the inside the hotel is warm and cozy.

I would like to thank you for your continuous support and loyalty to the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. We want you and your guests to feel special and welcomed, and it is just great to hear that you had a wonderful stay also this time. Rest assured we will keep the warmth going until we see you again.

Your comments have been shared with the team and we are all looking forward to our future cooperation.

See you soon!