“Club level was great - but make sure you get the right room”

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, MN
“Club level was great - but make sure you get the right room”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here in August with my wife and 10-year-old daughter.

CLUB LEVEL:
We opted for a club level room, which wasn't too much more expensive, for the nightly reception/happy hour in the club lounge. This ended up being well worth it. They advertise "no children" in the lounge, however, when we asked about our 10-year-old daughter they happily said she could be in the lounge with us (they probably don't want babies or very young or rambunctious children in the lounge). This ended up being a life-saver for us and saved us a ton of money as well. As is life with young children, you never know for sure when they are going to be hungry, the lounge was always stocked with free snacks and pastries throughout the day, so if you need a quick bite you can always stop in. The night time happy hour from 5:30-7:30 was terrific. Several types of free beer and liquor for mixed drinks - very nice after a long day of sightseeing. Also, if you don't feel like going out for dinner, the snacks provided will be more than enough to fill you up - good variety each night, and each night's offerings were different. We were there 4 night and each night's offering was different. A typical night would include Swedish meatballs, chicken strips, pasta, fruit, breads, deserts and so on. Breakfast was also great, mostly what you would typically expect, bacon, sausage, toast, cereals, pancakes, etc. It's best to get to breakfast early if you can, as it can get quite full later on.

THE ROOM:
The room was very spacious by European standards, which was nice for our family of three, and it was very clean and updated; however, what we did not like about our room was the view (our room faced inward with no view whatsoever) and the fact that it was at the opposite end of the elevators, which added a lot of extra walking. I guess I naturally assumed that since we were paying for an upgraded room on the club level, that we would have a view - not the case. So if a view is important to you, make sure the room you reserve has one. Also, it might not seem like much, but having a room completely on the opposite side of the hotel from the elevator is somewhat a pain. Also, the ice machine is located by elevator, so if you want ice you have a long walk if you are on the opposite side of the building.

LOCATION:
The location is really great - very short walk to Gamla Stan and all of its sights. Also very close to the shopping center and restaurants.

SERVICE:
All of the hotel employees we encountered spoke very good English and were courteous.

MISCELLANEOUS:
Taxis are very easy to get. We had a 7:30AM flight and needed a 5AM cab ride and had no trouble getting a taxi that early in the morning.

I would have given 5-stars if not for the disappointing view and room location. When I asked to change rooms, even if it required an upgrade charge, I was told they were completely booked and nothing could be done. There was nothing in the room description when I booked our room that said it was an inward facing room. Also, there isn't much charm to the hotel - which, depending on your taste, may or may not be to your liking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aquaman_22
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Aquaman_22,

Thank you for your feedback on your visit to us here in Stockholm.

We believe in providing great service and our dedication is to maintain and constantly improve the guest experience. From your rating I can see that you were not fully satisfied with your stay this time and I wish we could have fully lived up to your expectations.

I believe that your review speaks for itself and within the Sheraton Stockholm team we have gone through the pros and cons in your detailed feedback. By the way; great to hear that you liked the Sheraton Club concept!

You´ve got a point about the rooms and it is always good to specify what you expect, so we know and you are satisfied with the choice. Every need and request is unique, depending on the specific trip. We love to hear what our customers are expecting from us, and then enjoy adding an extra dimension to the trip by creating a unique experience.

Should you ever come our way again, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly and I will personally make sure we make you feel at home away from home.

igor.buercher@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel on New Year's Eve. The check-in process was very easy and staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was nice and spacious and bed was comfortable. The sauna and fitness center were also really convenient amenities, as not every hotel in Stockholm has them.

However, I was extremely disappointed that the hotel requires guests to pay extra for basic wifi internet in their rooms and even pay extra for television! This is pretty disgraceful for such a reputable hotel and made my stay very inconvenient. The room was also overly hot, which I see other users have complained about as well. I told the front desk that the room temperature was too hot, and all they did was unlatch the window so I could open it wider. Not much of a solution to what seems to be a widespread problem. The view from our room was of the inner courtyard, basically a pile of concrete with four walls surrounding it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear EA44,

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback, although we are a bit disappointed to learn that we did not fully live up to your expectations during the New Year’s Eve.

As you mention the in room internet do still have a charge and we are from time to time reviewing the cost. I cannot promise when it will be fully reduced and therefore we offer free wifi in the entire lobby area. At the Link@Sheraton, our connectivity hub, we have six computers for free usage 24/7.

We have many different room types to choose between, from classic rooms with twin beds overlooking our inner yard, to Superior suites with king bed and great views. The rate varies depending on which room you book and the most popular rooms are the ones that offer a view of the old town. Should you plan a new visit we are more than happy to make you an offer to stay in one of our rooms with a view:(Superior rooms).

We are right now looking at the air conditioning system. It was constructed back in the 70´s and the possibilities we have today are quite different from back then. Therefore, throughout the years we have on a regular basis maintained and kept it updated.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights using reward points.
At check in they did ask us to sign the check in bill with a normal room charge even when booked with reward points, a good 12min and it was sorted.
Also at check in we asked what time the change of guard was the next day, they receptionist took some time to find out and told us 13:00. We went to the castle the next day at 12:40 and were pretty mad when we understood it already took place at 12:00, so be aware and check it up yourselves!

Our room were a bit cold as the window gasket was broken. Apart from that the room was nice but a bit small.
A minus was the ironing board that was worn out and full of bread crumbs (somebody using it as a breakfast table??).

Location is excellent though and the staff is nice

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view, it is worth it
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Kallek,

Thank you for your time and review here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay led to disappointment and I wish we could have been able to end 2013 in a more pleasant way for you.
I have forwarded your concerns to the front desk and on behalf of the receptionist I apologize for giving out misleading information about the change of guards. I am sorry to hear that you missed it because of this.

The other comments about the window gasket and the ironing board have been noted. When it comes to the payment; your description leaves me a bit puzzled, so please feel free to fill me in on the details as I would like to follow up what happened with the reservation.

Great to hear that you found both location and staff to be excellent!

Should you plan a new trip to Stockholm, please let me know and I will personally make sure we take extra good care of you.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My partner and I were off to the Opera on new years day so we booked 2 nights at the Sheraton Hotel in Stockholm. We had an amazing stay in a very nice room for a very fair price. The service was exceptional!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the heart of Stockholm.

Thanks for the enjoyable experience.

- Andrew & Aurora

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Andrew & Aurora,

Thank you very much for your absolutely fantastic review!
The team and I wish you both a happy new year filled with success and many great moments to share.

Warm welcome back.

All the best and warm regards,
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 5 January 2014

As could be expected from a Starwood property excellence is of high importance and such was delivered!
I stayed with two friends at a club room and the room and shower were just perfect.
Spacious and elegant looking.

We discovered a bit of dust on the floor after dropping our stuff on the bed but after mentioning this to the reception the lady apologized in all ways possible and it was taken away by housekeeping straight after.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Close to the station but also to tourist attractions which makes taking the often untrustworthy cabs unnecessary!

The 24h gym and sauna were also in great shape and allowed me to work out even though I was away from home!

Would definitely stay here again if visiting Stockholm again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lars M
Dear Lars M,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. Much appreciated by me and the team.

Glad to hear you had a good time here in Stockholm, enjoying the room where you stayed. Should you have any further thoughts you would like to bring forward to us, please do not hesitate to do so. Hope to see you back in a not too distant future.

All the best and warm regards,
Igor Buercher
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Without a doubt, this is the best possible location to be when visiting the city as a tourist with so many things to see within easy walking distance. My wife and I spent 3 nights here prior to a Baltic cruise. It was our first trip to Stockholm and the hotel staff could not have been nicer in helping us to decide the best way to spend out days here. The room was a bit plain and simple, but very comfortable, and a fair value for the money. We loved Stockholm and would stay here again on a future trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jpeves
Dear jpeves,

My team and I would like to thank you for your lovely feedback here on Tripadvisor. It Is just great to take part of your thoughts and I am so happy you choose us for your September stay.

Coming to Stockholm prior to a cruise is absolutely great. The archipelago is fantastic and I can imagine that you brought many fantastic memories back home.

Thank you for your time - until we see you back we wish you all the best.

Warm welcome back and warm regards,
London
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I from London have returned last night from 3 days visiting the beautiful city that is Stockholm. We stayed here for two nights and cannot recommend this hotel enough for it's location! Central means central! Less than 5min walk from Central Station, 5-10 mins to the heart of the city centre, and also the old town! Perfect...!
The hotel ticked all the boxes for our needs, the only reason I wouldn't score it 5/5 is due to the room itself, it was a mixture of new and old when it came to the dodgy door on the wardrobe and the lighting furnishings being very chic! We did have an issue with the heating in the room and had to keep the window open which let in some traffic noise from outside.
Otherwise, fantastic.
Steve on concierge was extremely helpful, giving his personal recommendations for our budget and helping with directions and the best way to get to certain areas.
Breakfast was fantastic, couldn't complain. We were offered a deal on arrival which was cheaper than booking it before we left, which was another bonus!
We'd love to come back sometime soon and visit it. Thank you Sheraton.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Igor B, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Graeme R,

Thank you for your review and for your comments on your experience.
Both your pros and cons have been noted and we promise to take your opinions in consideration when we are looking at how to improve and keep our premises in good order.

Your nice words has been shared with Steve and he sends a huge personal thank you to you. Encouraged and inspired!