“Not quite up to standards” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Stockholm Hotel
Ranked #21 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pretoria, South Africa
“Not quite up to standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

Like all Sheraton hotels this one is conveniently located close to the Old Town, the city centre and the central station. A few years back the lobby area underwent major renovations making room for more meeting rooms and decreasing the size of the lobby bar. This bar is still very good, but tends to get cramped as does the restaurant in the mornings. Breakfast is very good and comes at a competitive price considering quality and variety of food. The room service menu however is almost sad in its lack of imagination and steep prices.
Most of the rooms are rather small and almost all that I have stayed in have lacked a bath tub in the tiny bathrooms. The size of rooms and the lack of a tub makes this a cramped experience for those travelling with children.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel convenient to stay at, and that our restaurant and bar 360 met your expectations.
However, I am concerned to read that you found our room service menu lacking imagination and being too pricy. I have forwarded these comments to our F&B manager, and will follow up.

We have many different room types to choose from, where the standard rooms might be somewhat smaller than the superior rooms. From my own experience I know that a room with a bath tub is to prefer when you travel with children, and normally we offer our guests this choice. I am sorry you were not given that option this time, but can assure you that should you return, please contact me before your arrival and I will make sure that your request is met next time.

Warm welcome back and warm regards,

Paul Peters / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

We stayed in Room 329, which is a “superior room” and has views of the old town. Our room was very quiet even though we were on a ‘busy’ road.

Don’t be put off by the façade of the outside (its an old city) as its different inside. The Hotel is modern and clean and is summed up by the lobby. As a first timer to Stockholm, the location was very good (close to Central station and the bus terminal). More importantly the hotel is in a central position to explore a charming European city.

Check-in was a little busy, we arrived at 4pm, but the members of staff were very very VERY slow and probably caused the queue. We were waiting about 30mins which is not what you want checking into a hotel never mind a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Rooms are decorated in a pleasant modern style, clean and functional with adequate Queen sized bed - i.e. the mattress - although it was covered with two single duvets?!?! No sure why or WHY!?! Pillows not to my liking and no other options available. The room had very limited wardrobe space and only 3 hangers. The room had adjustable air-con.

From my experiences, the room is a standard Sheraton model and comes with all your usual Sheraton stuff i.e. nice toiletries and mini bar with take away tea/coffee facilities. Big screen TV (with a few English channels).

We did like the bathroom; consisted of a walk-in shower (no bath). It also had essentials such as tissues, soap, shower gel, shampoo, shoe horn, hair dryer, sewing repair kit and detergent etc etc.

No umbrellas - must ask at reception and if lost you must pay sek150!!!!

Room service was good although only once daily. i.e. No turn down service.

Overall the hotel is not flashy but does offer what you need. The only problem is they don’t offer it on a plate, you have to ask for it. So it will never be “amazing” just the standard Sheraton hotel. Overall, we weren’t disappointed but felt the hotel was missing something.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. Although it makes me glad to find out that you are not disappointed, I am concerned and sad to hear that you find us missing something, and that we could have done more to create that extra memorable feeling for you.

Within the team we always carefully go through and follow up all comments, no matter if they come through a second part such as Trip Advisor or directly to us. We believe that the only measurement we can trust is the one that our guests represent, so therefore, please accept my apologies for not managing to live up to your expectations this time. I would like to assure that, judging from your feedback, we can do much better.

Thank you for your honesty and should you have any plans to return to us one day – please feel free to contact me directly and I will make sure your next stay is much more amazing.

Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

2nd visit to the Sheraton Stockholm in the past month. First trip quite good - had a "Superior" room with a partial view of the lake. Good service throughout my stay. Enjoyed the food in restaurant and bar (breakfasts were excellent).

Current trip has been disappointing. Planning to move out of my "Classic" room, as it is located next to a service closet/elevators which were noisy all night (avoid rooms ending in 48!). Sitting in lobby right now waiting to get a drink, and have not even been approached by the (completely overwhelmed) bar staff for over 30 min. Poor service.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Rival and Hilton Slussen in Stockholm and enjoyed both more than the Sheraton, though the location of the Sheraton is significantly better.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know and updating us on your last stay here with us. It is a pity that your time at the hotel did not turn out as you had expected, as it has in the past.
The room types and the location of the rooms vary from big suites facing the water to classic rooms facing the inner yard. Also, the need and expectations from our guests vary in the same way, and I am sorry that we did not offer you a more quiet room this time.

Although I understand that it might be hard to restore the trust in us, please feel free to contact me prior to your arrival should you return, so that I and my team can make sure we allocate your room corresponding better to your needs.

Regarding the difficulties to place the order in our bar 360, this comment has been brought forward to the bar team and I am following up on the matter. Our aim is always to make our guests feel at home away from home, and I am sorry we did not succeed in making you to do so. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to share anything else with us.

Malmö
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

The Sheraton is very centrally-located only 3 minutes' walk from the Central Station (where the airport express train arrives). The check-in and check-out were efficient. (I was given a room at 8:30 am on the day of arrival.) The furnishing in the room showed signs of wear and tear; the bathroom had very basic facilities with a minimum of amenities and tiny bath towels. The TV was not working but was quickly fixed when alerted. On the whole the room falls short of the brand-name standard and the hotel does not offer value for money – the latter remark being applicable to most 4 star+ hotels in Stockholm.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your open and honest feedback, but must admit that I am concerned to read that you did not find us living up to your expectations. We always strive to offering the best possible service, and it is sad that we did not manage to make your stay special and memorable.
However, I am glad we could offer you to check in early and that you found the location good for your needs.
We are always interested in learning more about the inconveniences caused and should you have any further thoughts to share – please feel free to do so.

Also, I am hoping that you would consider offering us another chance, so we can show you what the Sheraton experience should really be about.

Paul Peters/ General Manager
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

I booked this hotel mainly because of the excellent location and good reviews and I was not disappointed. Do not be put off by the dreary facade- it is excellent inside and up to the usual Sheraton standard. Reservations (especially Ulrika),checkin and restaurant staff were particularly efficient and pleasant. The buffet breakfast was a bit expensive but we were very satisfied with the wide selection of food. There is a good variety of cafes and restaurants very close to the hotel, which made meals easy, as well as good shopping. I am not a devotee of the big American Hotel Chains, however I would class our stay here as being excellent in all areas.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your stay here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel with us and also, for posting it here at TripAdvisor.

It makes me very happy and proud to hear that you found everything excellent - from making the reservation to enjoying the breakfast, and you can rest assured that I have shared your comments with everyone, especially Ulrika.
I am proud to have such a great team and would like to wish you warm welcome back to stay with us again. I can assure you that we will do everything we can to once again make your stay excellent.

seattle, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

Stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm on the top floor with a balcony overlooking city hall. The rooms were beautiful--large in European standards-- and the staff great. The hotel was very busy and everything remained tip-top. The hotel is in an excellent location, just outside of old town. I don't think you can go wrong staying here--it is great. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PPeters, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent feedback, and for the effort to posting your warming words on TripAdvisor!

I am happy we contributed to making your stay tip-top here at the Sheraton Stockholm hotel and I have shared your thoughts with my great team. Our balcony rooms are very convenient to stay in and give an extra dimension to the view that Stockholm offers.

We hope we will have a chance to welcome you back again and you know where to find us if there is anything else we can do.

Once again – many thanks.

Warm Regards,
Fernandina Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We found this hotel to offer excellent service and to be very clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast buffet had a wide range of choices and was delicious. We particularly liked the location which had nice water views and made it easy to walk to major attractions such as the Royal Palace, the City Hall, boat tours, and bus and subway stops.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear that you had an excellent stay with us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. Everything seemed to have been just perfect; the service, the interior, the surroundings and the food. We take great pride in offering one of Stockholm’s widest breakfast buffets with lots of choices and I am happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, which are both encouraging and inspiring to us. We hope we will see you as our guest again and until then, we remain at your service.