“average experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
paris
“average experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

i stayed at the sheraton stockholm and booked a superior room which was a category above the standard room. The check-in process was warm, welcoming, smooth and very good. As my girlfriend and I headed into the room, our impression overall of the hotel was that it was clean. When we arrived to the room, we felt it had a very nice design since it was modern and we didnt expect it from a sheraton. In previous stays at other sheratons the rooms were never so modern. Our room had a very nice balcony with outdoor heating, with the view of the lake and the city (very nice!). The room was a little bit dusty in one of the night tables and lamps, the balcony had cigarette butts which was not nice at all.
We had a king size bed but the beds were set up with 2 twin duvets instead of 1 king size and we didnt like that much. We thought it was a scandinavian thing.
The bathroom was very clean but I felt a strange light smell of sewage and turn down service was upon request and nothing special about it..compared to other turn down service Sheraton experiences in the past.
The phone operators were a bit unclear in their explanations and I felt their english was good overall but sometimes they didnt really understand..
We had breakfast at the 360 restaurant and the breakfast buffet was very nice set up, a lot of variety and nice salmon and swedish specialities. The service was nothing special and overall a bit overpriced for what it really was, they really didnt approach us until 20 minutes after we arrived and the waiters really didnt explain where we could get coffee because we saw some guests serving themselves from a coffee machine and others getting coffee from the service staff.. The location of the juice bar and water was a bit unclear and overall ok, however when the breakfast ended the staff was a bit rude just vaccuming in our face kind of kicking us out.. i felt it was a bit rude.. the hotel itself is nice, very good location and overall was a good stay

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us – as you can imagine I am sorry to read that you were not completely happy with your visit, and that you found your stay to be just average.

It is clear that your experience started in a very good way and along the way something was lost. October was a busy month for us and although your stay might have been during a period when the hotel was completely fully booked, you should still receive the best possible service from us.
We are constantly training our staff to make sure we meet the demands from our guests in a proper and helpful way, and to see only opportunities beyond the challenges we face. However, I agree that it seems like we did not perform as good as we normally do and I have brought your feedback up with the departments concerned to make sure that we follow up on your comments.

On behalf of my team I apologize for the inconveniences met and I would like to ask you to contact me directly next time you have plans to travel to Stockholm. I will make sure you are much better cared for than this time.

Paul Peters / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rotterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

We had an excellent stay in the hotel; there was a very nice, friendly atmosphere (also in combination with being the 'official tournament hotel' for the tennistournament, Stockholm Open). The room was great with a view on the beautiful city of Stockholm. We had dinner and drinks in the bar of the hotel; very good quality, nice and friendly staff. We very much enjoyed our stay!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience you have from us, the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. We appreciate to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I agree the Stockholm Open tennis tournament certainly added something extra to the atmosphere. Both for our guests and us, the staff working here.

Also, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dinner and the drinks in the bar!

If there is anything we can do for you – please feel free to contact me directly. We wish you warm welcome back to Stockholm.

Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

Like all Sheraton hotels this one is conveniently located close to the Old Town, the city centre and the central station. A few years back the lobby area underwent major renovations making room for more meeting rooms and decreasing the size of the lobby bar. This bar is still very good, but tends to get cramped as does the restaurant in the mornings. Breakfast is very good and comes at a competitive price considering quality and variety of food. The room service menu however is almost sad in its lack of imagination and steep prices.
Most of the rooms are rather small and almost all that I have stayed in have lacked a bath tub in the tiny bathrooms. The size of rooms and the lack of a tub makes this a cramped experience for those travelling with children.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel convenient to stay at, and that our restaurant and bar 360 met your expectations.
However, I am concerned to read that you found our room service menu lacking imagination and being too pricy. I have forwarded these comments to our F&B manager, and will follow up.

We have many different room types to choose from, where the standard rooms might be somewhat smaller than the superior rooms. From my own experience I know that a room with a bath tub is to prefer when you travel with children, and normally we offer our guests this choice. I am sorry you were not given that option this time, but can assure you that should you return, please contact me before your arrival and I will make sure that your request is met next time.

Warm welcome back and warm regards,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

We stayed in Room 329, which is a “superior room” and has views of the old town. Our room was very quiet even though we were on a ‘busy’ road.

Don’t be put off by the façade of the outside (its an old city) as its different inside. The Hotel is modern and clean and is summed up by the lobby. As a first timer to Stockholm, the location was very good (close to Central station and the bus terminal). More importantly the hotel is in a central position to explore a charming European city.

Check-in was a little busy, we arrived at 4pm, but the members of staff were very very VERY slow and probably caused the queue. We were waiting about 30mins which is not what you want checking into a hotel never mind a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Rooms are decorated in a pleasant modern style, clean and functional with adequate Queen sized bed - i.e. the mattress - although it was covered with two single duvets?!?! No sure why or WHY!?! Pillows not to my liking and no other options available. The room had very limited wardrobe space and only 3 hangers. The room had adjustable air-con.

From my experiences, the room is a standard Sheraton model and comes with all your usual Sheraton stuff i.e. nice toiletries and mini bar with take away tea/coffee facilities. Big screen TV (with a few English channels).

We did like the bathroom; consisted of a walk-in shower (no bath). It also had essentials such as tissues, soap, shower gel, shampoo, shoe horn, hair dryer, sewing repair kit and detergent etc etc.

No umbrellas - must ask at reception and if lost you must pay sek150!!!!

Room service was good although only once daily. i.e. No turn down service.

Overall the hotel is not flashy but does offer what you need. The only problem is they don’t offer it on a plate, you have to ask for it. So it will never be “amazing” just the standard Sheraton hotel. Overall, we weren’t disappointed but felt the hotel was missing something.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to us here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel. Although it makes me glad to find out that you are not disappointed, I am concerned and sad to hear that you find us missing something, and that we could have done more to create that extra memorable feeling for you.

Within the team we always carefully go through and follow up all comments, no matter if they come through a second part such as Trip Advisor or directly to us. We believe that the only measurement we can trust is the one that our guests represent, so therefore, please accept my apologies for not managing to live up to your expectations this time. I would like to assure that, judging from your feedback, we can do much better.

Thank you for your honesty and should you have any plans to return to us one day – please feel free to contact me directly and I will make sure your next stay is much more amazing.

Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

2nd visit to the Sheraton Stockholm in the past month. First trip quite good - had a "Superior" room with a partial view of the lake. Good service throughout my stay. Enjoyed the food in restaurant and bar (breakfasts were excellent).

Current trip has been disappointing. Planning to move out of my "Classic" room, as it is located next to a service closet/elevators which were noisy all night (avoid rooms ending in 48!). Sitting in lobby right now waiting to get a drink, and have not even been approached by the (completely overwhelmed) bar staff for over 30 min. Poor service.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Rival and Hilton Slussen in Stockholm and enjoyed both more than the Sheraton, though the location of the Sheraton is significantly better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know and updating us on your last stay here with us. It is a pity that your time at the hotel did not turn out as you had expected, as it has in the past.
The room types and the location of the rooms vary from big suites facing the water to classic rooms facing the inner yard. Also, the need and expectations from our guests vary in the same way, and I am sorry that we did not offer you a more quiet room this time.

Although I understand that it might be hard to restore the trust in us, please feel free to contact me prior to your arrival should you return, so that I and my team can make sure we allocate your room corresponding better to your needs.

Regarding the difficulties to place the order in our bar 360, this comment has been brought forward to the bar team and I am following up on the matter. Our aim is always to make our guests feel at home away from home, and I am sorry we did not succeed in making you to do so. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to share anything else with us.

Malmö
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

The Sheraton is very centrally-located only 3 minutes' walk from the Central Station (where the airport express train arrives). The check-in and check-out were efficient. (I was given a room at 8:30 am on the day of arrival.) The furnishing in the room showed signs of wear and tear; the bathroom had very basic facilities with a minimum of amenities and tiny bath towels. The TV was not working but was quickly fixed when alerted. On the whole the room falls short of the brand-name standard and the hotel does not offer value for money – the latter remark being applicable to most 4 star+ hotels in Stockholm.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SheratonStockholm, General Manager at Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your open and honest feedback, but must admit that I am concerned to read that you did not find us living up to your expectations. We always strive to offering the best possible service, and it is sad that we did not manage to make your stay special and memorable.
However, I am glad we could offer you to check in early and that you found the location good for your needs.
We are always interested in learning more about the inconveniences caused and should you have any further thoughts to share – please feel free to do so.

Also, I am hoping that you would consider offering us another chance, so we can show you what the Sheraton experience should really be about.

Paul Peters/ General Manager
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

I booked this hotel mainly because of the excellent location and good reviews and I was not disappointed. Do not be put off by the dreary facade- it is excellent inside and up to the usual Sheraton standard. Reservations (especially Ulrika),checkin and restaurant staff were particularly efficient and pleasant. The buffet breakfast was a bit expensive but we were very satisfied with the wide selection of food. There is a good variety of cafes and restaurants very close to the hotel, which made meals easy, as well as good shopping. I am not a devotee of the big American Hotel Chains, however I would class our stay here as being excellent in all areas.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your stay here at the Sheraton Stockholm Hotel with us and also, for posting it here at TripAdvisor.

It makes me very happy and proud to hear that you found everything excellent - from making the reservation to enjoying the breakfast, and you can rest assured that I have shared your comments with everyone, especially Ulrika.
I am proud to have such a great team and would like to wish you warm welcome back to stay with us again. I can assure you that we will do everything we can to once again make your stay excellent.