“Sheer incompetence”

Ranked #27 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Helsinki, Finland
“Sheer incompetence”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Following the suggestion by a friend, I booked a one-night stay at Riddargatan. The area, Östermalm, is regarded as the most exclusive inner-city part of town and my expectation for style and professionalism were set accordingly. When it came to the design and cleanliness of the room my expectations were met.

The surprise showing the true mindset of the staff at this place came in the early morning, at 6.30 a.m. I was awakened by the sound of full-scale construction-work going on in the small street (pedestrian area) below my 3rd floor room. I had not been warned this would be the case and phoned the reception where my questions were met with total uninterest and blaming of the city of Stockholm for the inconvenience. The noise was allowed to go on for another full hour, and it was apparent no-one from the staff even attempted to negotiate a pause with the construction crew. Two hours later I met an even more uninterested and this time even arrogant hotel manager at the front desk who also blamed the city and was not the slightest surprised nor sorry.

My understanding is they simply did not care and, moreover, I got convinced that the hotel knew of this work in front of this upscale establishment beforehand but, on purpose, had not informed me about it. This short-sighted trick is used by unethical hoteliers who go for selling their beds at any cost. The other possibility is the hotel had neglected to register the advance -warning of this work which would disturb their guests.

My morning experience led me to assess the other dealings with the staff I had during the stay, e.g. in the bar. Except for the very friendly person at the check-in counter, I found I had not experienced any encounter where the staff could be considered professional enough to warrant the price or reputation of hotel Riddargatan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bo S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After looking at reviews I was not sure whether I had booked a good hotel or not. I re-read after booking and wished I had gone for a double rather than the single as reviewsfor the single rooms were disappointing.
Arrived late midnight (but I had e-mailed to let them know -thank goodness I had having just read another reviewers tale). Went to the room, looked around and left! It was on the top floor, small, with furniture that had seen better days and an 80's style bathroom. Everything was so close together it would have been very claustrophobic. I noted at reception they were advertising upgrades for an extra charge and decided this was worth it. And it was. Double room was excellent and a complete contrast. Very modern, fresh, great colours and a great swedish feel. Loved the bathroom especially the shower. I found the bed very comfortable as I sleep better in soft beds.
I've had more extensive choices at breakfast at other hotels In Stockholm, but I really liked again the Swedish focus. It was like choosing breakfast from your own kitchen (in a nice way) and the food was very fresh. Just one pointer should the manager wish to read this review-breakfast staff could perhaps smile occasionally. Pity on one morning the cake and croissants disappeared to be given to a group that was having a meeting-before hotel guests had finished-not sure why.

Good location. I found it quiet even though I faced onto a street. Well except for the first morning when some street work started at 6.00 am (after a late arrival I did wonder what an earth I had done), but thank goodness it stop after a few hrs and was not a problem other mornings. Hotel was also quiet-thank you other guests!

So in summary single rooms let the hotel down -time for an upgrade? Double rooms excellent, breakfast excellent. Relaxing stay, good environment and general 'feel' to the hotel. Free coffee available all day in the breakfast/bar area, quick take away breakfast available for early morning starts if needed. Pleasant staff at reception when needed. I will want to stay again when next in Stockholm.

Room Tip: I would avoid a single room unless you are not not overly fussy about room size and decor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Drobak, Norway
Reviewed 20 May 2014

After booking on-line, and arriving in the city late a round 21:00, just to be told that they were sold out and that I had not guaranteed the room for late arrival. I have not noted any such requirement at the booking, and the booking confirmation received on e-mail did not mention anything about such a requirement after a specific time. I have visited their booking page again, and have not been able to find anything about this. They had my e-mail and my mobile, but no attempt was made to contact me. I got me another room, two nights cost me SEK 2500 more than anticipated. I usually stay at least 5 nights/month at hotel in Stockholm. Be sure it will never be at Hotel Riddergatan.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Runar N
Mattias L, Manager at ProfilHotels Hotel Riddargatan, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Runar,

You made a reservation online, and in the terms and conditions that you agreed to by marking the tick box there was information that the reservation was held until 18:00. Only reservations that are guarantied with a credit card are hold after 18:00. How ever, we tried to call the phone number that you left in your reservation several times but we wasn't able to get in contact with you. Since we wasn't able to get in contact with you and we hade several guests on waiting list we accepted another reservation for that night. When you arrived our receptionist helped you to make a new reservation at another hotel that hade rooms available, so we did our best to solve the problem for you.

Best regards
Mattias Larsson
Kouvola, Finland
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Breakfast was amazing. I would chooce this hotel again based on breakfast. Central location was very handy, you can visit old town & downtown by walk, there were restaurants & pubs nearby.
Room was comfortable, bed was really soft, too soft for me. The toilet seat was missing from our toilet, which was really weird. We mentioned it at the reception and we had an opportunity to change the room which was good service and we got even a bigger room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Free upgrade! Really nice room and amazing breakfast. In the centre of Stockholm. You can visit almost everything by foot, or tube. Stockholm itself is also a nice place. Visit the vasa museum and the old town! Stockholm is hip and happening!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2014

a one-minute walk from the tunnelbana one stop north of central station on the green line, the place is superior. large room and bathtub, excellent breakfast, and fresh coffee, tea, fruit, cookies and cake available in the lobby 24/7.

Room Tip: no need, as the hotel is on a back street
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael R
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The location is superb. The hotel is clean and tidy. There are even dumbbells in the room with a CD for fitness freaks to work out. The staff are friendly and helpful. They can help you print out the boarding pass if you have done online check-in. There is free wi-fi and and there is a huge selection of breakfast and it is scrumptious.There is a neat little library cum conference room on the ground floor too. My only grouse is the bedroom floor is a little squeaky.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family