“Great location, comfortable rooms”

ProfilHotels Hotel Riddargatan
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We spent 2 nights at Hotel Riddargatan in July and found it to be clean, comfortable and well located. The location allowed for easy exploration of the city and although we chose to explore mostly on foot, there were several public transportation options in close proximity as well.

Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable and our first night it was quiet. Our second night we could overhear very loud music from a nearby bar or club so that made it hard to sleep; that was our only disappointment with the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't near the neighboring bar. The Friday night we stayed there was very lo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this hotel based on location and got our room through hotels.com. When we arrived we were told our room was the one right beside the reception desk. Knowing we booked through a discount site we figured we would try it out and see how bad it was. We ended up staying in that room the full 5 days of our stay. Even though it was right above street and by the main lobby we didn't hear any hotel noise and when the window was closed the street noise was minimal.

The room was clean with a very comfortable bed. The shower was excellent and my husband enjoyed the weights in the room. The hotel staff were friendly and able to answer the few questions we had. I saw them helping other travellers out with dinner reservations and tour bookings as well.

Breakfast had excellent selection of the typical European and North American options plus lots of fruit.

Location is ideal for shopping, sight seeing and generally enjoying Stockholm. We easily walked to the Vasa museum, Gamla Stan and the main shopping district was only a few blocks away.
This area is definitely the higher end part of the city so the popular restaurants require reservations and are pricey. We lucked out that on the week of our stay the Stockholm food festival was on in a nearby park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Spent 2 nights in this hotel, the room (a twin) was a decent size and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was included and was really nice with a good choice. The only complaint would be that it was quite noisy at night but that's not totally unexpected for a city hotel (I would take ear plugs if I stayed again). The hotel was in good location for site seeing, Gamla Stan was about a 10 minute walk. I am planning on going back to Stockholm one day and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was our 2nd stay in this hotel. To be honest, the key reason were super-comfy Carpe Diem beds for a great night sleep. But there are lots of nice things about this hotel: it has an intimate and boutique-y small hotel feeling, rooms are stylish and well though-through, superior rooms have small balconies with tables and chairs. Hotel's location is just excellent: if you're into partying - nightlife hub of Stureplan is just 3 minutes walk away, if you're into shopping - you're next door to both exclusive boutiques and chain shops, Royal Dramatic theatre is around the corner, Nybrokajen pier with its boats to Stockholm archipelago is also 3 minutes walk away. The only thing they need to improve is service - daytime reception staff was not particularly welcoming or friendly

Room Tip: Opt for the superior room with a small balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Following the suggestion by a friend, I booked a one-night stay at Riddargatan. The area, Östermalm, is regarded as the most exclusive inner-city part of town and my expectation for style and professionalism were set accordingly. When it came to the design and cleanliness of the room my expectations were met.

The surprise showing the true mindset of the staff at this place came in the early morning, at 6.30 a.m. I was awakened by the sound of full-scale construction-work going on in the small street (pedestrian area) below my 3rd floor room. I had not been warned this would be the case and phoned the reception where my questions were met with total uninterest and blaming of the city of Stockholm for the inconvenience. The noise was allowed to go on for another full hour, and it was apparent no-one from the staff even attempted to negotiate a pause with the construction crew. Two hours later I met an even more uninterested and this time even arrogant hotel manager at the front desk who also blamed the city and was not the slightest surprised nor sorry.

My understanding is they simply did not care and, moreover, I got convinced that the hotel knew of this work in front of this upscale establishment beforehand but, on purpose, had not informed me about it. This short-sighted trick is used by unethical hoteliers who go for selling their beds at any cost. The other possibility is the hotel had neglected to register the advance -warning of this work which would disturb their guests.

My morning experience led me to assess the other dealings with the staff I had during the stay, e.g. in the bar. Except for the very friendly person at the check-in counter, I found I had not experienced any encounter where the staff could be considered professional enough to warrant the price or reputation of hotel Riddargatan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Bo S
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After looking at reviews I was not sure whether I had booked a good hotel or not. I re-read after booking and wished I had gone for a double rather than the single as reviewsfor the single rooms were disappointing.
Arrived late midnight (but I had e-mailed to let them know -thank goodness I had having just read another reviewers tale). Went to the room, looked around and left! It was on the top floor, small, with furniture that had seen better days and an 80's style bathroom. Everything was so close together it would have been very claustrophobic. I noted at reception they were advertising upgrades for an extra charge and decided this was worth it. And it was. Double room was excellent and a complete contrast. Very modern, fresh, great colours and a great swedish feel. Loved the bathroom especially the shower. I found the bed very comfortable as I sleep better in soft beds.
I've had more extensive choices at breakfast at other hotels In Stockholm, but I really liked again the Swedish focus. It was like choosing breakfast from your own kitchen (in a nice way) and the food was very fresh. Just one pointer should the manager wish to read this review-breakfast staff could perhaps smile occasionally. Pity on one morning the cake and croissants disappeared to be given to a group that was having a meeting-before hotel guests had finished-not sure why.

Good location. I found it quiet even though I faced onto a street. Well except for the first morning when some street work started at 6.00 am (after a late arrival I did wonder what an earth I had done), but thank goodness it stop after a few hrs and was not a problem other mornings. Hotel was also quiet-thank you other guests!

So in summary single rooms let the hotel down -time for an upgrade? Double rooms excellent, breakfast excellent. Relaxing stay, good environment and general 'feel' to the hotel. Free coffee available all day in the breakfast/bar area, quick take away breakfast available for early morning starts if needed. Pleasant staff at reception when needed. I will want to stay again when next in Stockholm.

Room Tip: I would avoid a single room unless you are not not overly fussy about room size and decor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

After booking on-line, and arriving in the city late a round 21:00, just to be told that they were sold out and that I had not guaranteed the room for late arrival. I have not noted any such requirement at the booking, and the booking confirmation received on e-mail did not mention anything about such a requirement after a specific time. I have visited their booking page again, and have not been able to find anything about this. They had my e-mail and my mobile, but no attempt was made to contact me. I got me another room, two nights cost me SEK 2500 more than anticipated. I usually stay at least 5 nights/month at hotel in Stockholm. Be sure it will never be at Hotel Riddergatan.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Runar N
Mattias L, Manager at ProfilHotels Hotel Riddargatan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Runar,

You made a reservation online, and in the terms and conditions that you agreed to by marking the tick box there was information that the reservation was held until 18:00. Only reservations that are guarantied with a credit card are hold after 18:00. How ever, we tried to call the phone number that you left in your reservation several times but we wasn't able to get in contact with you. Since we wasn't able to get in contact with you and we hade several guests on waiting list we accepted another reservation for that night. When you arrived our receptionist helped you to make a new reservation at another hotel that hade rooms available, so we did our best to solve the problem for you.

Best regards