“Clean modern hotel, would recommend”
Review of Motel L

Motel L
Ranked #8 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Clean modern hotel, would recommend”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here on a colleague's recommendation and wasn't disappointed. Good value stay in a decent hotel - in relation to UK hotels I would say it is like a very good quality / brand new Travellodge and was 85 pounds for the night which is good for Stockholm.

The location a little way out of the centre of town (1 easy tram stop - it's located right by the stop - then a few stops on the Metro to central station and the waterfront, maybe 30 mins total journey). Not a problem but stay out past midnight and you'll get to get a taxi back for about 15 quid.

I had a twin room - very nice modern bathroom, the size of the room was on the small side probably if there'd been 2 of us staying it would be bordering on cramped. There was a modern TV in the room but no tea/coffee facilities.

Breakfast was good, rolls and a few cold meats, museli, coffee/tea. It seemed a bit basic vs. UK hotels but maybe that is the way for Swedish breakfast.

Very nice spacious lobby. Very friendly staff.

Overall I think it's a very nice place to stay and good value if you can deal with the minor hassle of the public transport into central town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cosmos292
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for your Review!
Next time you stay with us, I would recommend to to walk along the chore and then take the boat to the city center, It wont be faster, but you get to see Stockholm from her most Beautiful angle.
See You Again!

Annika

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here 2 nights with my family. The pros outweigh the cons but still I would look for another place next time. Hotel and room facilities are good, but the 'budget pricing' takes its toll: e.g. no wifi in the hotel rooms, just in the lobby. Also, the hotel is understaffed during breakfast hours, thus the breakfast area is a constant mess (dirty tables) and not really attractive. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the city center with public transport and there is no direct connection.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NLBanker
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
I'm sad to read about your breakfast experience. I will look in to the matter and see if we need more people during rush hours. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was further out of central Stockholm than expected. We were wary initially about walking into town as you view people living in the underpass as the train pulls in. However, if you do decide to walk over the bridge, it's fine really. We did not do travelcard. A single journey of 36sek lasts 75mins from activation - so long as you are on the last transport system you want to use within that time it is valid. I actually managed to go from Strandvagen to the hotel, check in and back into town on that one ticket (central tourist Stockholm you can walk mostly). Check in and out was seamlessly fast and unfussed despite the hectic footfall in the area with no issues about baggage storage.
Travel connections are frequent, we used the tram and metro. Helpful hint food wise for lunch/brunch: walk out the hotel and turn LEFT and walk down that road. You get to see the new residential upcoming neighbourboods of Stockholm and there are some really nice food options in the area. If you skipped breakfast and slept in people also seem to eat really early in the area anyway. We turned onto Hammerby and had lunch at Fine Food and it was all local, no translated menus and delicious. The franchise bakery next door from them is great too, you can see the bakers making the cardamon buns in the window.
Internet in rooms is slow but fine in the lobby, the lobby reflects all types of guests from business men to families with small children and is really a welcoming space. Free herbal teas, coffee, good toilets, wifi and lots of seating options make it popular to hang out after check out before moving on. Or just to meet up it seemed. They also sell basic sandwiches salads and snacks at a reasonable price if you really are too lazy to walk two doors down to the supermarket and they didn't really seem to mind what people ate or drank down there so long as they were tidy and not disturbing others.
Get a tourist map from the airport or tourist info desks, Motel L wasn't stocking them when we were there.
Room was stylish and new and worked well even if fairly basic, acoustically sound with tv mounted to wall on a movable arm (took my head out on that!) nice touches like a dimmer switch in the bathroom with a rainshower. Bedside lamps adjustable and crafty storage options, although no iron. We found the bed too soft but that's been Stockholm generally - too soft twin beds pushed together with single fluffy duvets folded onto each half! Check out is midday but don't be surprised if the cleaning guy turns up at 9 trying to frantically get in. I didn't use the gym but it looked like a pleasant enough space with towels, machines facing the windows.
Don't expect a huge amount of romance and this was the only place we stayed out of three in greater Stockholm (don't ask - complicated travel plans!) where breakfast was an optional extra charge.
I think when the construction of a new residential block comes up in 2017 this hotel/motel will become even more gentrified.

Room Tip: We were third floor, the window opened. Some reviewers say not all of them do on all floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We are proud and grateful for your kind words, hope to see you again!
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed here for a week as part of a combination holiday and business trip, and overall, really liked Motel L. It was cheaper than the conference hotel in Sodermalm, but only a 15 minute walk from it, or an easy tram/t-bana ride into the centre of Stockholm. As it’s in a new building, everything was fresh and looked great. The lounge was also a nice place to get some work done or just chill out. The much lauded rain showers were lovely, and having a large ICA grocery store next door was perfect. It literally gives a taste of Sweden, and is a cheapish way to eat.

All that being said, there are still some issues to take into account. First, the hotel is practically in the middle of a building site as the area is undergoing redevelopment (see photo). I had cranes outside my window, and was awakened the first day by banging coming from the construction going on next door. That aside, I slept incredibly well during the remainder of the stay; the hotel the bed was very comfortable, guests were quiet, and being at the end of a corridor kept sound to a minimum.

Although that’s another minor issue – there is only way to/from the entrance, and that’s via lifts or a set of stairs at one end of the hotel. If you’re at the other end, it’s a bit of a walk from one end to the other. But the play soothing music in the corridors, so that’s something!

There are no tea makers in the room, but free tea and coffee is provided in the lobby. I found that tea in the morning always had a bad taste, which after a process of trial and error of bringing in my own tea bags and milk, seems is due to the water/boiler used. Tea in the evening tasted fine.

The biggest problem I had was with the internet. It’s free (get a code from the front desk), but is completely unreliable. Signal strength was 4-5 bars, but it would simply refuse to connect properly at least half the time, especially in the morning. I don’t know if this was due to the number of people trying to connect at that time or a different reason, but it was frustrating during the work phase of my trip.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend Motel L if you’re looking for a cheapish, but nice place in Stockholm, and don’t mind a little construction dust or travel.

Room Tip: I think rooms on both sides have views of construction, but rooms at either end of the corridor are...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank aMissElaineous
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review!

We are looking into the WIFI issue,, even though we really have made a point of having the best possible high speed available, we know its been days when it seems unreliable, and nothing is more irritating than a WIFI that do not function.

Tomorrow I will try the teawater first thing, to see if perhaps the new breakfast thermos is tainting the water.

Hope to see you with us again!

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights on business. The pros outweigh the cons, but I might consider a more central hotel next time.

Pros:
- budget
- nice rooms, including super comfy beds and really really nice rain shower
- clean
- pleasant staff, good attitude
- wifi included (but a bit annoying with the repeated logon system, and just flat didn't work most mornings)
- breakfast included
- transport right out the front

Cons:
- it's not just a bit out of town, it really feels out of town... There's not much there other than construction sites and what I think were office buildings. Very little in the way of shops or anything interesting. You have to get out of the suburb for atmosphere.
- a small gripe I know (for some, not me), but I'm a tea drinker, not a coffee drinker. They're using an old coffee urn for hot water, which made my tea taste really bad. I raised it with the staff and they were lovely and gave me water from the kitchen, but ultimately that is a short term solution. They just need to go and buy another urn. Much better than upsetting us tea drinkers!

Value all in all. I would recommend (but not as a romantic destination - take your girlfriend, boyfriend, wife or husband somewhere more pretty for the anniversary).

• Stayed August 2014
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for the Review!

Now I have ordered a new tea urn, as I had this commentend twice, and of course you are right, the tea urn has been used for cooffe by some non-teadrinker, I am so sorry. As a note our owner is a dedicated tea drinker so this is a big fail for us.

I am also a Little bit sad that we did not show you were to go in this beautiful Dockland Area. The actual block is still under construction, but just by following the waterfront for 10 minutes you have loads of restaurants, shops and also boats that takes you directly to the citycentre.

Hope to see you at Motel L again!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is brand new. The rooms are modern and nice. Bathrooms are excellent, with huge showers. Everything is spotless. The hotel is at 7 min walk to the nearest T-Bane station, if you cur through the park, but you can take the tram if you prefer. The metro takes only 4 stops (I.e. less than 10min) to get you to the very core of the old city. The metro runs up to 0:30 during summer, but you will find a tram that takes you back even later. I can't but reccommend buying a travel card (15€ per person per 24h) cos the single tickets are quite expensive (4-5€ per ticket). The card gives you access to all transportation system of the city for 24 hours. Back to the hotel. Breakfast is NOT included and it will cost you 75SEK, and parking is NOT included and it will cost you 180SEK. You can park your card on the streets, the night (17:00 to 9:00) is free and fron 9:00 to 17:00 is 120SEK. Beware of the yellow signs: they mark the days in wich that part of the road is getting cleaned and if you leave the car there you will receive a 650SEK ticket. I did, and the hotel as been close to no help on this issue, although it was the personnel at the receptio to suggest to park on the street in the first place

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank matteofurlan
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank You for Your kind words.

Your travel information might be even better than the one we provide at the Front Desk!

My apology for the misunderstanding with the street parking. My night managers information was that in our opinion it is safe to park in the streets as we have had no experience of break-ins. But he was not refering to any parking rule in the area as they differ from day to day and street to street. Please Contact me for your next trip to Sweden and lets se how we can compensate you.

Kind Regards Annika
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Motel L was our choice of places to stay for our short, 24 hour visit to Stockholm. Traveling from Estonia back to the U.S., we purposely chose the long layover just to see a bit of Sweden. We were only disappointed by the fact we didn't have FIVE days. Amazing place.

Motel L was highly recommended by TA and we went with that recommendation. Once again, Trip Advisor family did not fail us! This is a great place for the young and old. It is definitely modern, as you can see upon entry. Bright colors, the longest check-in desk I have ever seen, a ton of seating in the friendly lobby. Breakfast area is right nearby, although it is to be purchased separately. Since we were leaving to catch our flight before 7 we did not partake of breakfast but from what I could see, it did look very nice.

Our rooms were tiny...I have stayed in very few in Europe that are not. But it was put together well. The bathroom is bright with a unique painting on the wall of the shower (see my pictures!) and a wonderful rainfall shower head. Body and shampoo wash are also on the wall in a dispenser if you like to use their products. I had my own.

The beds are the traditional two twins put together as in most European hotels but this one was at least comfortable! Yay for a comfy and CLEAN bed! Our view was not that great as there was construction going on outside but we could see a bit of Gamla Stan from our window.

It is very convenient with a tram stop literally right out the front door which will take you to the train station or wherever you need to connect. The staff is VERY accommodating! They spent probably 15 minutes helping us figure out our morning route back to the airport, trying to save us some time. I saw them doing this when we came in with another guest.

Wifi was great, no problems. There is a nice little grocery store right on the same corner, convenient if you have forgotten or need anything.

We did have trouble figuring out our a/c. It does have it!! But we propped our window since it was late. It was stuffy in the a.m., we just couldn't get it to work and there wasn't time to call someone.

I would highly recommend it for cleanliness, NEW, service and a great place to lay your head after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor since we arrived early in the day. Not sure about everywhere else but it...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Annika Ö, Hotelldirektör at Motel L, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and fully appreciated our Budget Design Hotel concept!

I'll run up and help you with the A/C next time!