“Good Location For Motorway Access With Underground Garage”

First Hotel Norrtull
Ranked #120 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Convenient location close to the motorway with secure underground parking.

The rooms were clean but disappointed with no tea making facilities or water in the room.

I would recommend for a short business trip but would avoid for holidays / sightseeing as the location is not close to the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for First Hotel Norrtull

Reviewed 13 October 2012

so, in stockholm, everything, i mean EVERYTHING will sound very expensive! and, buy that, the hotel prices in the historical center scared me and i end up pincking this amazing hotel in far away lands. WELL, i not mean very far, but, its like 3 stops from the center and 10 minutes walking. for me, after spending a whole day walking in the city, in castels and museus, walking more 10 minutes do go 'home' was a little bit boring, but, not stressfull, because is a very beautiful neighbour and very secure. the hotel is very nice - never been to one like that before - it was an old wine house factory, so the construction is very diferent. the furniture is modern and the place ond, so i love the design.
the rooms were huge! the tripe room was to double beds (thouse king size beds) and the bathroom climatized, nice and couzy. tv, wi-fi, all good.
the breakfast, oh my good, i couldnt stop eating! soooo good!
there was also, in the louge a happy hour (not sure if they had food,didnt ask) but the bear is the same price in the streets (soooo, expensive!!). there was a market near by, and one bar. i`m not sure there was other places to eat, and the all close early, so, if you stay there, eat before taking the sub!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

while one is always appreciative of somewhere cheap to stay in Stockholm, the Norrtull has something of the air of a youth hostel, with a snazzed up lobby then the rest left pretty grotty (My room didn't have a door frame for some reason). Staff at the desk were nice but when I especially asked for a quiet room as I am a very light sleeper, it wasn't a great idea to put me next to the lift, which was used all night. Dinner was very expensive, with an unimaginative menu of Everywhere food (they had run out of the one Swedish-sounding thing on it, even though I was eating early). The standard of the breakfast had definitely gone downhill since I stayed earlier in the year, and the room were not particularly clean, with grey sheets and towels that had seen better days. Overall, the place felt tired. Still, it is on the airport bus route, which is handy, and there is free wifi in designated areas.

Room Tip: If you aren't next to the elevator, the fifth floor should be quiet.
1  Thank CeedySomerset
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Because I wrote this on my iPad something funny happened and it went in under a new account. Anyway, there is more bad news to report.

It is rare that I write a savage review - but ....

I arrived at the hotel exhausted - I had flown to London on the red-eye to find that I needed to make a short notice business trip to Stockholm. My priority was a light dinner and a bed. I checked and received my room key - on going to my room around 9pm, in an exceptionally grubby elevator (there is a difference between industrial chic and dirt) I found that it had not been cleaned, the bed had recently been enthusiastically used and there was detritus in the waste cans, on tables and damp towels n the floor of the shower. I returned to the front desk with my bag, asked for a new room and ordered a ceased salad (not bad, but not a ceased salad). The desk clerk brought me the key to room 528 which I was told was a family room with two beds. I ordered a beer to take to my room (no room service) and went up to room 528.

The first thing one has to say that the family that smokes together stays together - and boy were they heavy smokers. They also like potato chips, and have left half a giant bag by one bed ( cream cheese flavour) as well as various items on the suitcase shelf - toothbrush packages, a candy wrapper, and he usual wet towels on the bathroom floor. It was not clear if they had made the bed or changed the sheets, but.... Since the rest of the room had not been cleaned.... I decided to be helpful and picked up the trash n the bag the previous occupant had left behind and brought it to the front desk. The checking staff who were nice were mortified.

New room, 105, a suite of sorts. Oddly arranged it was very large, with a sitting area 2 arm chairs and a sofa at one end and two single beds pushed together at the other end - I wondered if this was an odd Swedish thing like the lack of urinals in mens' rooms - I mean who rents a suite to sleep in a pair of single beds - in Stockholm - zany republicans maybe....

Halfway down the room, mounted on the wall was a large TV - conveniently facing neither seating area nor bed, but the back of a chair at a small writing desk. I tried for broadband, but was taunted by the networks of surrounding hotels that reached my room, but wanted passwords. The Norrtull's network did not make it (but those of other hotels did?)

I checked out the bathroom. Again strange - huge (at least 10m2, 100 square feet), it had two widely spaced showers on one wall, a small whirlpool and a tiny sink (of he sort you put in tiny half bathrooms) with no plug for shavers or toothbrushes. Why a single sink, toilet and TWO showers? A lot of hairy rugby players showering together? After plugging in my toothbrush on the desk in the bedroom I though, hmmm, I'll sooth my weary body with a whirlpool. First problem, where is the bath plug... None. Find in a corner well away from the sink the sink plug. Try this in the bath. Where are the taps - no bath taps. So it stretch a shower head to fill the bath- noticing that the fascia panel is not actually attached to the bath. I go beck to the bedroom for a few minutes and then check on the slowly filling bathroom - the sink plug had turned out to bee too small, and interestingly the bath drain was not connected to a drainpipe, which meant that the water had all ended up on the bathroom floor, now half flooded (luckily it is a big bathroom). Inter alia, given the space in this bathroom, which not have a toilet stall and two sinks and a larger tub, there was plenty of space?

Given the amount of traipsing around the hotel I did in search of a cleaned room, I did get a chance to observe the general standard of housekeeping in the common areas - and it is very poor. The manager does not seem to do any walks rounds (and questioned staff confirmed this). As relatives in he hotel business and my own experience in construction told me,my our two most useful tools are your legs and your eyes, issued in pairs.

This is a hotel desperately in need of a new manager and a new housekeeper - someone who would address the basics, cleaning (including the elevator channels and walls, vacuuming, cleaning the rooms, among the wifi work (range extenders to cover blind areas are cheap and install able by children), checking that rooms have been cleaned, actually going through basic construction punch lists (so that you notice the non-connection of the plumbing), wondering if anyone can see the TV from any normal sitting location, facing up to putting phones in rooms.

A manager that cannot do this stuff should not be in the hotel business. Oh and I am writing this while waiting for the explanation I was promised would be forthcoming for my experiences of last night.

Breakfast eaten (decent, not great), I discovered that in my haste I had forgotten my razor - so I went to the front desk to be charged 25 kroner ($3) for a basic disposable. On returning to my room I found that the showers are not thermostatic (anti scald) but the cheapest available and quite capable of providing very scalding water. I do not know the situation in Sweden, but in most of Europe anti-scald shower taps (the sort with the red button you need to depress to go over 45 degrees C) are required by building code and installed by all intelligent hoteliers - parents, you had better supervise your kids showers in this hotel. I also noticed that the price tag was still on the rug and that there were at least 3 phone jacks in the room, so actually providing a phone would be easy. The bathroom was set up as a "wet-room" - which means you need very efficient shower drains. My abbreviated 5 minute shower managed to flood most of the bathroom to a depth of up to 1cm, lapping at the door sill - had it been my wife the whole 1st floor would have been flooded. It seems the shower drains were either badly installed or not cleaned.

At checkout I expected to see the manager - but she was absent or hiding. They did take 500 swedish kroner off my night, but the front desk staff were left to cringe.

This is perhaps the main reason the manager should be fired - she has good staff (outside housekeeping), but they are left to apologise while she lurks in the next room. I suspect that her good staff will now be given a dressing down for her failings, another sign of a bad manager and poor leader..

1  Thank Mack64
Reviewed 19 September 2012

It is rare that I write a savage review - but ....

I arrived at the hotel exhausted - I had flown to London on the red-eye to find that I needed to make a short notice business trip to Stockholm. My priority was a light dinner and a bed. I checked and received my room key - on going to my room around 9pm, in an exceptionally grubby elevator (there is a difference between industrial chique and dirt) I found that it had not been cleaned, the bed had recently been enthusiastically used and there was detritus in the waste cans, on tables and damp towels n the floor of the shower. I returned to the front desk with my bag, asked for a new room and ordered a ceased salad (not bad, but not a ceased salad). The desk clerk brought me the key to room 528 which I was tod was a family room with two beds. I ordered a beer to take to my room (no room service) and went up to room 528.

The first thing one has to say that the family that smokes together stays together - and boy were they heavy smokers. They also like potatoe chips, and have left half a giant bag by one bed ( cream cheese flavor) as well as various items on the suitcase shelf - toothbrush packages, a cand wrapper, and he usual wet towels on the bathroom floor. It was not clear if they had made the bed or changed the sheets, but.... Since the rest of the room had not been cleaned.... I decided to be helpful and picked up the trash n the bag the previous occupant had left behind and brought it to the front desk. The checking staff who were nice were mortified.

I checked out the bathroom. Again strange - huge, it had two widely spaced showers on one wall, a small whirlpool and a tiny sink with no plug for shavers or toothbrushes. Why a single sink, toilet and TWO showers? A lot of hairybrugbynplayers showering together. After plugging in my toothbrush on the desk in the bedroom I though, hmmm, I'll sooth my weary body with a whirlpool. First problem, where is the bath plug... None. Find in a corner well away from the sink the sink plug. Try this in the bath. Where are the taps - no bath taps. So it stretch a shower head to fill the bath- noticing that the fascia panel is not actually attached to the bath. I go beck to the bedroom for a few minutes and then check on the slowly filling bathroom - the sink plug had turned out to bee too small, and interestingly the bath drain was not connected to a drainpipe, which meant that the water had all ended up on the bathroom floor, now half flooded (luckily it is a big bathroom). Inter alia, given the space in this bathroom, which not have a toilet stall and two sinks and a larger tub, there was plenty of space?

Given the amount of traipsing around the hotel I did in search of a cleaned room, I did get a chance to observe the general standard of housekeeping in the common areas - and it is very poor. The manager does nt seem to do any walks rounds (and questioned staff confirmed this). As relatives in he hotel business and my own experience in construction told me,my our two most usefull tools are your legs and your eyes, issued in pairs.

This is a hotel desperately in nees of a new manager and a new housekeeper - someone who would address the basics, cleaning (including the elevator channels and walls, vacuuming,mcleaning the rooms, among the wifi work (range extenders to cover blind areas are cheap and install able by children), checking that rooms have been cleaned, actually going through basic construction punch lists (so that you notice the non-connection of the plumbing), wondering if anyone can see the TV from any normal sitting location, facing up to putting phones in rooms.

A manager that cannot do this stuff should not be in the hotel business. Oh and I am writing this while waiting for the explanation I was promised would be forthcoming for my expereinces of last night.

Room Tip: Keep going back to the front desk until you get a cleaned one
1  Thank colmmack
Reviewed 13 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We found this hotel more than adequate for the price paid and three star rating it holds. We stayed for four nights. Some reviewers on here seem to expect more than they are paying for. The staff were without fail polite and helpful, especially when we were using online airport check in - the staff let us use their own computer.

The breakfast choice was outstanding, from all the usual European/Scandinavian cold items to bacon and eggs.

Our room, for me, my wife and son contained two double beds. The room was spacious with chairs, desk and large TV. The bathroom was clean and efficient.

Downsides? The decor in the reception, bar and dining areas needs a drastic refurb to rid it of the 70s night club look. The hotel is a little way out of the city centre but is only four stops on the Tunnel-Bahn (Metro). Using the Metro is absolutely recommended as it is quick and clean.

We plan to return to Stockholm and would use the Norrtull without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
First Hotel Brommaplan
Hotel Drottning Kristina
#24 of 154 in Stockholm
Vasastan
Best Western Plus Time Hotel

Been to First Hotel Norrtull? Share your experiences!