“I've had better, but only in a few great places in Japan”
Review of Sushi Sho

Sushi Sho
Reserve with
Sushi Sho is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,304 Restaurants in Stockholm
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vasastan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very small sushi place where seats can be scarce, there's in fact no tables, only a bar. It's authentically japanese in many ways, including the quality of the sushi. I've had better sushi in Japan where there's is probably a lot more and better quality fish to be had than in Sweden provided the wallet is up for it. So given what's available to get in Sweden I don't think it's fair to expect much better sushi than what you will get here. They don't currently serve sake, but wouldn't be surprised if that's subject to change (alcohol permit would be required = lot's of red tape in Sweden). The non-sushi menu is a very good donburi and at the time of writing, the only desert is a matcha-flavored ice cream which is on the small side but authentically japanese and very tasty.

1  Thank MartinP418

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

What a lovely place to eat. A tiny "hole in the wall" restaurant with a wonderful ambience and sushi to die for. I've eaten sushi all over the world and this is some of the best and freshest I have ever eaten.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sushi Sho is a very small and cosy place; expect some waiting time -especially if you would like omakase dining, where you will sit around chef preparing whatever dishes he chooses.

Now, I was not so lucky to get space, so had to eat a set of varied nigiri. The guys running the place are using absolutely top-quality ingredients. Rice is prepared flawlessly and presentation - informal but impeccable.

This is an absolutely recommended place to experience sushi. I will be back and will take friends there.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We're frequent guests of places like Maneki in Seattle and Echigo in Santa Monica and GO!55 in LA's Little Tokyo and Kappa and Saru in San Francisco, and when we moved to Stockholm last year, we tried a few sushi places and quickly gave up: if California rolls or farmed salmon nigiri is the choice of the locals, so be it, but we did not want to have any of it.

Then a few days ago, as I walked home from Arlanda Express, I passed a "hole in the wall" - a place with, perhaps, 12 seats, out of them 9 at the bar and 3 in the back. It looked like something I would pass in Tōkyō. The blackboard said: "omakase". We went in, and we were in for a treat!

If I knew about this sushi spot earlier, I'd take my dinners there every day of the week. You can have a SEK 255 omakase and it'll be good enough to make you happily jump and sing on the way home. If you know what sushi/zushi is really all about, and if you're looking for things like proper uni, or salmon roe with quail egg, or seared ebi, or ahi hand-roll, look no further. The owner and the chef serves the fish that's coming from certified places of origin, and it's all about the taste. In other words, if you normally go for places that have a sign saying NO ROLLS - that's the place for you.

One of the nights we stopped by, we were the only guests. The next night, there wasn't a single seat available. So hedge your bets, come early or call ahead. Even though I'll move to a new city in a few weeks, I sincerely hope that Sho is here to stay, so that whenever I come to Stockholm, I can have the real thing. The owners deserve the success of having a queue out in the street. Great food, proper design, nothing unnecessary. What a pleasure.

The only thing that I would improve? Getting some of the Japanese beer in, like Ehcigo, and of course the sake. It's hard to give up on that unfiltered companion.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

No words can do Sushi Sho justice. The best fish, the best service and the best prices around (including a 10% discount on take-away). I am fortunate to live just around the corner!

1  Thank Matt G