“Good but over-hyped”

Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Description: The Hairy Pig Deli in the Old Town is a restaurant and deli which is open Wednesday-Thursday from 17:00 - 21:00 and Friday-Saturday-Sunday from 11:30 AM-10PM. The Hairy Pig Deli is located close to the Royal Palace in The Old Town of Stockholm. The unique building is from the late 1400s. The menu offers Joseph Turner's home made gourmet sausages, charcuterie plates with salami from Tuscany, cheeses from the archipelago in Stockholm, salads and tapas. Here you will also find Joseph and Karolina's home made delicacies such as jams, chutneys, mustards, ketchup, crisp bread as well as locally produced delicacies and charcuteries from Tuscany in Italy. The Hairy Pig Deli is also available to rent for private dining, events and special occasions. Please don't hesitate to contact us for more information.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Food is good, but to me the restaurant is a little too over-hyped. I mean second best rated restaurant in whole Stockholm? - that can also be a burden, means you go there full of high expectations which eventually are difficult to be fulfilled. At the end it's "just" a sausage in a bread, and not a cheap one. Presentation and quality is good, the tapas tasted average to me (the olives were nothing special, and neither was the coleslaw). Didn't regret eating there and service was very friendly - but 50 Eur for two hotdogs, an (overpriced) salad w/ cheese and salami and two beers is still a lot!
Important for me to mention that this is my personal opinion: one star goes away due to the high expectations I had which weren't fully met, and another one for the average tapas and the expensive salad - makes 3 stars!
General perception might be - and is obviously - different ...

1  Thank Christian W

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Best sausage I've ever eaten in my life!
The cook is a chef, the service is great and the place is lovely!
I'll be back!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The host said I was having "just a hot dog and salad" - that just does not do him any justice whatsoever. Food is just incredible and clearly fresh and made on premises. This place should be number 1 in Stockholm.
Some homemade jams were cooking and wafting through the place while I was eating which smelled amazing.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a very small pavement level refuge in busy Gamla Stan right near the palace

The selection of food is small but all home made and welcome.

Would you believe it you can have beer brewed by a friend of the proprietor in his garage in Stockholm .

Toilet . " If we had a toilet we would not have room for a kitchen. "

1  Thank Michael3496
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

After a delayed flight and an hour walking around the old town of Stockholm I needed feeding and hydrating when thankfully I stumbled across the hairy pig.

We were lucky to have a table
outside on a rather warm summers evening.

I actually can't fault a thing about this place. Location, food (excellent sides and Cumberland sausage), size (I always think potion size I.e not too big is important), customer service and value for money all excellent.

This is a new restaurant/deli and hopefully one I can return to on my next trip to Stockholm.