“A dark, but darling, dungeon”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Art Cafe

Art Cafe
Ranked #870 of 3,028 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Seating
Neighbourhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
“A dark, but darling, dungeon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This subterranean restaurant in the touristy Gamlastan was quite the surprise. We just chose it because it was convenient and we were starving. I thought, since it was sort of bar style, that it would be mediocre, but actually, the food was fresh and delicious. It would be a place to linger, especially over coffee and dessert.
The cave-like interior would be a good choice to either escape the summer heat and humidity, or to shelter from rain or snow.
I liked the place and would recommend and return.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank dsm_99

Sligo, Ireland
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

While looking for somewhere to eat, we repeated the mantra "a few streets down, it will be cheaper", and sure enough, a sign saying "lunch, 85kr" caught our eye. We headed down the ally and noticed another set of tourists looking at it in bewilderment. To our surprise, through the heavy iron door were downwards stairs! We decided to go in, and descended into a cool basement, with low ceilings and light. Chanting hymns played through the speakers, and we ordered at the bar, pleased with the selection of vegetarian choices. The food came quickly as we looked at the surroundings in awe. My sister reported her veggie pizza "good", my mum a broccoli quiche "tasty". We each had a tall pint glass of 7-up. I had a chicken baked potato which was very tasty and filling - I didn't finish it. A bowl of very good bread and butter was also on our table.

• Visited August 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great coffee in excellent surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

A superb place! A real hidden gem. Although the service is slow it is really friendly with a good selection for "Fika." The surroundings are excellent to explore and well worth a visit for a coffee after being in the tourist crammed hubbub of the beautiful Gamla Stan. Escape the noise and beauty and just relax in the cavernous Cafe Art with a different kind of beauty. I dare you to dislike it!

Visited April 2013
Sandefjord, Norway
“Cute cavern!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is actually a very good place because it is a little different from all the other cafes in Gamla Stan.

It is under ground, and has very low ceilings and arches. It's a little chilly, and the fireplace is actually and old, tiny staircase with a log-lamp. The food is just fine, pies and pastas heated in a microwave or sandwiches or cakes, but that is not the point. The point is that you are in the real Medieval Stockholm!

When we visited, during lunch time on New Year's Eve, the poor lady who worked there, was left all alone to serve everyone (maybe 40 people), and very stressed. We cleaned our own table, and hoped the other guests would follow suit.

Visited December 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
“Hidden little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Had I not had my friend with me I would have missed this place! Very steep stairs, a bit dark and if you're tall keep your head down! Once you get inside if feels like you're in a cave. Groovy! I had the blueberry pie with ice coffee.

• Visited September 2012