“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Milford
Price range: US$7 - US$37
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: showing visitors to the County the wineries, breweries, cheese and vegetable producers and the cidery
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Sorry to say that after all the good reviews here we were very disappointed. Overpriced for the quality and tiny portions.The service was slow. We waited one hour after placing our order for our dinner. Meantime, there was no offer of water and no bread for the table. Considering the prices, this might have been expected. I finally waved down a server, which was, surprisingly, not easy to do despite the tiny space, to request water for our table. When dinner arrived, sad to say it was not hot. The pickerel was a the smallest portion of fish I have ever seen and quite tasteless. The plate was served with one asparagus spear and one sliver of carrot the size of a quarter. These were the seasonal vegetables offered with the meal. The mash potatoes were tasty. The menu prices on the website do not match the prices in the restaurant. Suggest updating the website. The Half Moon Bay Pinot Grigio was great!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank vamonos1978

Toronto, Canada
“A lovely Saturday afternoon stop | Fabulous service”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stumbled in to Milford Bistro completely by accident. Opted to stay for a glass of sparkling and ended up completely enthralled in the lovely ambiance and highly personable hospitality.
Fantastic up-sell to our bubbles was a pretty fantastic charcuterie board - and make sure to ask for the beer dijon mustard on the side! The spicy jelly with the brie was fantastic.

“To much fun”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Miller House B and B in May for a ling weekend for the past 6 years and have always enjoyed the Bistro...this was our first experience with the new owner and although the prices have climbed the food was really amazing... I had the ribeye and my wife tried the Pickerel and the sauces and presentation were worthy of the meals we have in Toronto for twice the price. But really the experience of speaking to the owner in person and the entire room sharing in the conversation is what makes the Bistro truly unique. We had a great meal and enjoyed the whole experience. I think the new owner and the new patio are great additions...well worth ten minutes from Picton...

2 Thank Foodloversguide
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Milford Bistro Keeps Me Coming Back For More”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

After having several great meals last summer at the The Milford Bistro while vacationing in the County with my lovely lady, we decided to come in over Mother's Day weekend to see what changes have taken place for the new season.

Apart from cherishing our walks along the Sandbanks beach at sunset, my new love and I grew very fond of our romantic dinners last summer at the Milford Bistro. We wondered if it would be the same?

On Saturday night we were greeted by the always polite Michael Lavelle, owner, who explained on our way to our favorite table, there were a few subtle changes to the Bistro for this year besides the obvious renovations to the main dining room.

One big change was a streamlined menu featuring the best of last year's selections of appetizers and mains all priced without feeling that you are over paying.

We started off with the mixed Charcuterie and Cheese plate paired with a bottle of Long Dog Pinot Noir - a local winery right around the corner from the Bistro. The selection of house smoked meats and local Black River cheeses (the oldest cheese company in Canada) were as appealing as the beautiful plating of this hearty appetizer, which 4 people could easily sample from.

We like that that Bistro model is to only use locally sourced wine, poultry, meats and produce, to help support all local businesses, who depend on each other for sending in new customers - while also showing that an environmentally sustainable restaurant model with a focus on organic foods, completes a local circle of food production and serving, that doesn't include the pesticides and GMO's currently being plated at most restaurants - a discussion which fascinated us after dinner, with environmentally focused owner, Michael Lavelle.

For our mains, I had the the AAA Rib Eye steak - cooked medium rare to perfection and my beautiful date had the stuffed chicken breast with ricotta and spinach. The drizzled lemon-basil white wine reduction was truly one of the tastiest sauces Tracy had ever licked from her lips with the chicken melting in her mouth, my date told me.

For dessert, we shared a bodum of Bistro coffee, pressed fresh at our table (better than any coffee shop out there) and each ordered the Chocolate Mousse and Sabayon with fresh berries to complete our beautiful dinner.

The Bistro, under new owner Michael Lavelle, just seems to keep getting better. We will be back again and again through the summer. Thanks to all Bistro staff and chef! Truly an enjoyable night - both affordable, delicious, romantic and cozy.

Can't wait to see you all again!

1 Thank Anthony4162014
Bloomfield, Canada
“Not what you expect; disappointed; very expensive”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The atmosphere is lovely, nice music in the background and very friendly server. I know their specialty is lamb burger but I am not a fan of lamb and ordered the smoked chicken because I wanted something light for lunch. I was expecting pieces of smoked chicken off the bone but it was served on the bone with very little meat and a lot of grease. However the blood coming from the marrow of the cut joint and the blood red bone was very unappetizing and ruined my appetite. There were very few fries but the coleslaw was good. The chef said the chicken was smoked for 12 hours but the server said 18 hours so I am not sure which was correct. The restaurant staff were sorry we were disappointed and offered a free desert but by this time we were not ready to eat any more and were skeptical of what it would be like. The meals were very expensive for what you get and we will not drive that far for a lunch when you can get an excellent lunch at an upscale restaurant on Hwy 49 on the outskirts of Picton for very reasonable price. If you go to the Milford Bistro take your wallet, a small appetite and only order the lamb burger or beef burger.

2 Thank Canada052
MilfordBistro, Owner at Milford Bistro, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Sorry about the bone marrow in the chicken leg ....yes you should bring your wallet to the Milford Bistro as we don't give food away here and wherever possible we source locally..not sure how you can expect a smoked chicken leg to not be served on the bone? ....We do have amazing salads and vegetarian dishes. We work really hard to hand select our food directly from the farmers in the area...our chickens are free range and raised less than 5km from the door. All in an effort to work together to support our local vibrant community of farmers and producers of amazing food.