“Perfect beachside tranquil resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shiva Samui

Shiva Samui
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect beachside tranquil resort”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Baan Khwam Rak for 10 days, 3 adults and 2 young children. The villa was fantastic, very clean, new, great living space and outdoor space with pool. If you are looking for a great base for a family holiday with a nice quiet sandy beach a short stroll away, then this is the spot for you. If you want a busy party holiday, with nightlife etc. then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

The resort offers 4 shuttles per day into Lamai or Chaweng, so you can get to the shops/restaurants you want. Return taxi's vary between 300-600 baht depending on where you are coming from (and how hard you negotiate..).

Resort prices for drinks, food and the Spa are notably higher than normal Thai town prices, since we had a Full Board meal package which made this less significant, nonetheless this is why I've rated 4/5 rather than a full score (which on other aspects it would score).

Enjoy.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Alex M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Baan Orchid is a lovely villa, beds are comfortable and has all the amenities you need, very clean, nice pool and very close to the beach which is quiet apart from lots of kite surfers. Staff are very friendly and helpful, breakfast is great!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Samui Beach Village is a very nice place to stay. The beach is huge and clean, swimming pools are nice, clean and warm. The staff is extra kind. Rooms ate very clean, beds are nice hard and large. We stayed in beach rooms, where we had a large balcony with seaview and our own small swimming pool. Breakfast and reception is about 6 minutes walks from the room and the see. Room service and breakfast are excellent. The beach in front of our room is suitable for kite surfing, the kite center is about 80 m from our beach. See is shallow on the beach, water is clean. When the wind is big, swimming is difficult because the kite surfers in the water.
If we wanted to go shopping or walking, dining in the evenings, we had to ask for a taxi (BAT 400-500 each way), and we drove to Lamai Beach, which was about 6-8 minutes drive from the hotel. If you like crowded beach and big nightlife, this is not the place for you. In the evening you rarely see anyone around, during the day, there are some people on the beach, but not crowded at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous villa! Perfect base for a family holiday, with all the amenities of a hotel but with the luxury and privacy of your own villa.
Our group Ages ranged from 14 months to 70 years and there was something for everyone. Staff were efficient and charming, facilities excellent and Roger and Alva a pleasure to deal with. We hope to come back :-)

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Blahnikbety
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We spent a wonderful week at Villa Baan Banburee in December. The Villa is exactly as the photos show - rooms are all large with ensuite bathrooms & very comfortable. The beds were good & the air-conditioning not noisy. Unfortunately we had no hot water in the master bathroom for the first 3 days as the plumber had to wait for a spare part to arrive. A nice touch in the kitchen is a bottled cold water dispenser unit & the large water bottle is replaced when finished (I wish I knew about this as I had pre-ordered many many bottles of water prior to our arrival which was unnecessary). A good size fridge/freezer. Pool towels are provided and replaced every day as were the bathroom towels which was appreciated. The villa was also well cleaned every day. Lovely pool area with 6 sunbeds and adequate umbrella's or covered area to sit under if too hot. A bbq would have been welcome, there wasn't one. The Clubhouse provided a daily basic breakfast & the food at lunch time (we didn't eat there in the evening) was reasonably priced and most of it was pretty good. We did try the private Chef to cook for us in our Villa but there must have been some sort of miscommunication as although he did turn up at our dinner, all the food had been precooked in the restaurant & nothing was cooked in our villa. Hiring a car we found was essential as we enjoyed having the freedom of wandering around Lamai, visiting the waterfall, etc (the resort provides transport one way to Lamai & Chawang, but not back & taxi's are expensive). Outside the resort just down the road on the right is a car hire company which lent us a 7 seater Toyoto car for a very reasonable price & also provided airport transfers in a huge van at a very reasonable rate. The Spa has a little way to go before it is on a par with a 5* resort, but perhaps I went on an unfortunate day as half way through my treatment there was a power cut (no fault of the resort, it was for the whole area).
The beach is lovely, a bit busy at times with kite surfers but beds are provided on the beach and the sand is beautiful and white. This is a perfect holiday destination when you have a family, the Villa is big enough for you not to be on top of each other and with the beach a few steps away there are other options if you want a change from the pool. A few minor issues we had were dealt with in a quick, professional and satisfactory manner and in view of this, we would definitely consider returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Highly recommend Villa Baan Banburee
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Fantastic Villa with gorgeous swimming pool set in a lovely garden. Staff are very friendly and happy to help with anything you want. Caught the shuttle bus in the evening into the towns and taxi'd back at night (£15). A good breakfast though mainly English would have loved more Thai foods but still good. I would go back with family for a chill out holiday. You definitely need to go into the main town for any sort of night life entertainment - Thai restaurants, shopping, markets and atmosphere. To buy things from the resort...2 cans of tonic water 150 baht (£3) as they add tax and service charge on everything... 2 cans of tonic water from a little shop 50 baht (£1) so that can add up if not prepared. Saying that you can shop at the huge supermarket (Tesco) on the first day and and have it all set up in your villa. Its definitely a lovely resort for relaxing and spending quality time with family and friends. I would recommend it. The beach doesn't have a lot of shade to sit under but the plus side is it is incredibly quiet and safe for children.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa was just enough for 3 adults. Large lounge & dining area with kitchen. Air c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

On January 13th 2014 Myself and my fiancé were married at Samui Beach Villas.
Nothing could of prepared me for the stress of carting my family half way round the world to have a traditional Thai wedding. For weeks before the event I was worried that I had made a mistake.
I couldn't of been more Wrong My family and My Fiancees family All travelled to Samui Beach Villas from Australia and Bangkok and over the course of our stay we hired between us five different villas.
THEY WERE ALL AMAZING!
Further to this from the moment I arrived in Samui Beach villas, I was whisked away into a different world. The staff were amazing to say the least and catered for our every need. Debbie the wedding planner assisted by Khun Jari organised the wedding of my dreams and the owners of this establishment, Phil and Jane are undoubtedly the best suited two people I have ever met to work and run a business in hospitality.
The whole village is one big smile the villas are amazing and you are right on the ocean. I will never forget Samui Beach villas and Intend to return regularly. I cannot speak highly enough of my experience here and would recommend it to family's, couples and wedding parties alike. I am the type of person that needs to be suitably impressed by service and surrounds to write a review, so much so this is the first time in my life I have ever written one. I have travelled around the world all my life and can confidently say that the service and charm of Samui Beach Villas is second to none.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

X2 Koh Samui Resort - All Spa Inclusive
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Shiva Samui? Share your experiences!