“Like Waltzing into a Stephen King Novel”

Banburee Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed 7 July 2012

If you purchased a Groupon voucher for the Banburee Wellness Resort & Spa, demand a refund immediately. This place is a desolate scene from a horror movie--what might have been bright and shiny thirty years in the past is now a wasteland of crumbling facades (complete with musty odor...as if none of the toilets have been flushed in over a decade). There might be one or two other people who have the misfortune of occupying the resort at this moment, but other than that it is eerily quiet and abandoned. I spied an uneaten pizza cast aside in the empty restaurant--I don't dare eat here following such an ominous warning as that. My partner and I are checking out a day early from our two-night booking, tomorrow. We would bail today except for torrential rains--and a 45-minute ride from Chaweng. Even at $143 for 2 nights via Groupon, this place is no deal! You couldn't pay me to suffer this place--the zombie-like staff who nod and smile when you ask what happened to your promised deluxe room with jacuzzi, satellite TV, and private balcony. The jacuzzi is a small bathtub with jets. The satellite TV offers 4 channels. And the private balcony is neither private nor large enough to fit a chair. The pool area was void of staff/service members when we swam in the leaf-infested waters at 5pm. And to top it all off, this is the first place that has charged us for ice cubes (100 Baht/ $3.33 AUD/USD) to complement an already over-priced minibar. Preposterous! I can't get out of this hell-hole soon enough--shame on Groupon for not investigating this place prior to dangling the carrot.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JennyH420

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I booked this resort as part of a package deal back in January thru Orbitz. Well June finally rolled around and my new bride and I were off on our honeymoon. I had been in Email contact with Rose for several months prior to arrival asking numerous questions. As she promised, a shuttle was waiting for us at the airport and was easy to find. After about a 35 minute drive we arrived. The resort is isolated and quiet and just what we wanted. It was absolutely beautiful. The staff was amazing. Some of them spoke limited English, some spoke English very well. But then again it is Thailand, and you can’t expect everyone to speak your language as well as you. It also gave a great opportunity to practice our Thai. We were promptly taken to our room on the 3rd floor in the deluxe room building. Along the way we were amazed at how well the grounds were maintained, and how friendly everyone was. The room afforded a beautiful view of a small beach and the pool. They lugged our luggage the whole way there. The room had beautiful flowers floating in the tub, and our towels folded into birds on the bed with more flowers. Tile floors make for a cooler experience in the humidity. Upon entering the room you place your key in a holder that activates your power. When you leave and take your key 15 seconds later it kills the power to the room. Pretty eco-friendly feature! All the lights, the A/C and the TV can be controlled from a controller next to the bed. The A/C unit was quiet and works fast! All the rooms had a balcony with chairs. The bathroom has a shower and a tub.

The restaurant was very well priced, and the free breakfast every morning included cereal, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs and meat cooked to order, juice and coffee for free. The restaurant overlooks the pool and the ocean. The staff there was amazing and we enjoyed our time with them.

They rent scooters for 250 Baht a day or $7.93 US a day. We rented these after a few days to allow us to explore everything the island had to offer. We heard the horror stories of scooter accidents and fatalities. Most of the poor riding and accidents is after dark, and by drunken stupid tourists. Wear a helmet and ride smart and you will be fine.

The shuttle to Chaweng and Lamai is 50 Baht each way per person. I’d do the scooters though and make your own schedule.

There is security roving the property 24 hours a day and they were super friendly and helpful. I can not say enough good things about this resort or the wonderful people there! I know as soon as I post this I will remember something else we loved about it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Team_FE
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We arrived at the Banburee resort for a weeks holiday in Samui and left for another hotel after just 2 days.

The staff were certainly very friendly and always smiling and welcoming but the big problem was with the physical aspects of the resort. I'm sure at one time it looked as fantastic as it does in the promo images on their website but it is very much on the verge of being run-down. The room we checked into initially (within the main apartment building) had stains on the walls and a very noticeable small hole in the ceiling which was covered with a white sticker. The white bathroom unit was yellowing and the room amenities and toiletries were very basic with the towels being starchy.

The following morning we asked to be moved to a different room which the woman on reception was very happy to help us with and after lunch we were put in a very similar room but higher up with a better view. It was however just as average as the first. The walls are paper thin and it's hard to get to sleep when it's so easy to hear your neighboring guests.

The TV, which I only wanted to view for some weather and news info had very poor signal and the few channels that were available were tuned in all over the place.

The pool area had also clearly seen better days. There were tiles missing from the sides and stray dogs that would walk in from the beach and drink from the water, while the staff just ignored this. The Curve Bar was really a complete mess and very rarely manned at any time of the day.

I had an omlette on our first morning but quickly pushed it to one side as the egg was under cooked. The rest of the food in the restaurant was average (3 stars) as opposed to very good and there really are very few dinning options to get to on foot outside the resort.

It's sometimes hard to criticise a place when the staff are very nice but the imagery on the website really does not represent the current look/condition of the resort. I would say that if you are happy with 3 star accomadation and have a willingness to leave the resort every evening/night to find places to drink and eat then the Banburee may be okay for you.

Our expectations were certainly not met.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank M B
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I would stay again at this hotel. It was comfortable and clean. All the people are nice! It is a bit far from chaweng but they provide a shuttle service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank michelle z
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We moved to Banburee from Chaweng beach because we wanted to relax. Banburee is beautiful, the staff is extremely nice. We had a sea-view villa and enjoyed our stay in spite of the heavy storm. They serve good thai food in their restaurant and we also discovered an excellent family-run seafood restaurant "M" nearby. Banburee is an excellent place for someone tired of noise, bars and tourists. An excellent and afforfable place to relax.

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank tesara
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We hosted a retreat for about 28 people at this hotel and were there for 5 days. The staff was absolutely incredible and took care of everything for us. They accommodated all our needs and the needs of everyone attending the retreat as well. The hotel itself is peaceful and was ideal for our purpose. It is about 30 mins from Chaweng and Lamai but the hotel provides a shuttle at a minimal cost which is extremely convenient. Would recommend this for those who want to go for a quite holiday or those who want to come back for a peaceful evening.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kacraze35
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I can not say enough good things about this resort. This was my second vacation on Koh Samui. I love the south end of the island. It is so peaceful and relaxing, yet near enough to Lamai and Chaweng beaches that enjoying night life is a short cab ride away.
The banburee has the most wonderful staff of anyplace that I have stayed. They took great care of my wife and and I and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. I really felt like I was an honored guest at their home! The staff provided us with many great meals at the resort and all of them were delicious. I can not say enough good things about the staff. They truly made the stay delightful.
The villa we stayed at was very nice. In the morning it has abeatutiful view of the ocean.
The pool was nice. The swimming on the beach was everything I expected it to be.
If large sandy beaches are what you are after, then the south end of the island may not be for you. However if being well cared for and being is a peaceful, tranquil location with beautiful surrounding then I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: we really enjoyed the villa. Came with a fridge. Not all villas or rooms have some same view. I...