“heaven on earth” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Beijing
“heaven on earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

It was my third time at Kamalaya. The first time I went with my husband, second time with husband and daughter, and this time alone. Each time was wonderful, but this was the best experience. I think it’s great for solo traveler, good for couples, but not the best for families. I stayed at the standard villa for two nights, which has a huge veranda with two day beds and great ocean, pool, and garden views. It also has a great outdoor bathroom and shower. The landscape is so beautiful, and you can find peace and perfect view from so many corners. The hotel was designed with perfect harmony into nature. It has the most amazing steam sauna build into a cave. Three small dipping pools on hilltop, a few steps higher than the previous one and with perfect privacy and views. It’s a perfect place to de-stress, detox, and be by yourself. You will feel like a new person after a short stay there. You also have the option to meet with fellow travelers by chosing to dine at the communal table. The staff are super nice. When I asked for late-check out, they let me stayed in my room until as late as I needed without any extra charge. I checked out at 5:30 PM! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: villas with beach view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Meghen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

After a recent personal energy crash, I knew I needed something to recharge my batteries and give me necessary time away from my real life to rest, recharge, and negotiate strategies for myself to handle stress in my real life. I wasn't sure where to do this but I thought I would give Kamalaya a try.

I arrived and was greeted promptly at the airport for a ride to the resort in comfort. Upon arrival, I was checked in and given cursory information about the resort, its offerings and activities. They could have given more of an orientation as I was a bit confused about how and where to get meals and some general protocols for a wellness resort. But no worries - you figure it out soon enough.

The room had all the comforts you need - comfy bed with a pillow menu and optional mattress topper (highly recommended!), speaker for my ipod and plenty of electrical outlets. I bought an internet pass for 1500 THB which was a bit steep considering I ended up rarely using internet as I was so busy with activities, journalling, spa appointments, etc. These activities were self-imposed as it would have been just as easy to relax in my room, at the beach and do nothing all day but read and relax. But I wanted to learn some new stress management strategies such as different types of yoga, attend presentations by visiting practitioners, and take advantage of their terrific spa, including the services of their on-site Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner, Dr. Song. I had my full share of options and enjoyed learning yin yoga, some new breathing techniques for relieving anxiety, and qi gong - my current new and much-loved strategy for stress release.

The wellness centre was spectacular. I live in Bangkok where you can get a massage anytime, anywhere for only a few hundred Baht. But largely the quality of these massages is hit-or-miss, with the emphasis on 'miss'. I have been injured several times by 'therapists' who had little to no training and well- it's not at all worth the low price tag. At Kamalaya's resort, all spa services were top notch. Every treatment was a hit - really impressive team who are patient, sweet, and have seriously strong hands to massage out the kinks of my trouble spots.

The resort is built on a a cliff and the architecture is really impressive. The resort consists of about 50 buildings - lots of accommodation rooms, several restaurants, two yoga salas, a presentation hall, wellness centre which has no less than 50 treatment rooms, reception, etc. but it is so well designed, when you look out over the resort towards the sea from the dinner area, you just see a few rooftops here and there. The buildings are built to be part of the environment - many buildings incorporate the landscape , such as for example, boulders on the cliffside jut into the shower room in a treatment room. It's all very organic and makes you feel you are just part of the landscape yourself. Very beautiful and very cozy. The cliff, while beautiful, can be steep! I didn't expect the amount of walking up and down hill that I did but I welcomed the exercise! I wear a pedometer usually which tracks stairs climbed and I found that the walk from the beach to the Yoga Pavilion where the morning classes are held is equivalent to climbing a whopping 14 flights of stairs. The walk from the breakfast and inner area is equivalent to 5 flights. The walk from the lunch place to the yoga pavilion is 13 flights. You get a lot of exercise hauling yourself up and down and around the resort but really - is that such a bad thing? It is a wellness resort. That said, someone with bad knees would be really miserable here.

Overall, my stay was great. It was exactly what I needed and I would return. The only cons were 1) a terrible shower in my room which constantly went from freezing cold to scalding hot. This was never remedied in my stay so I ended up just showering at the Wellness Centre after my treatments anyway. 2) Lack of an orientation upon arrival leaving me a bit confused my first few hours there. The pros were numerous: 1) I feel so much better. 2) I ate healthy food and enjoyed eating things I never would have thought I liked such as beetroot and ginger. 3) I slept like a baby. 4) I had time for me - time to read, to journal, to reflect, to learn some new things. 5) I discovered qi gong - I'm hooked. I also discovered the wisdom of Dr. Song - he was terrific. And he unkinked my neck which has been kinked for several years now despite numerous 'treatments' at numerous doctors to remedy it.

If you've got the means and the knees, I highly recommend this place. It was my Christmas present to myself and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Claxhammer
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Super de-stressing spa. The yoga programme was terrific (I am a beginner), and the spa services were top notch. The spa is classy, in spite of being in tacky Ko Samui. I would love to go back every year to relax and be pampered.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank princetondartmouth
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

The resort is built along the hillside down to the beach among the nature vegetation, it is very peaceful,and relaxing. The resort tried to meet all your needs. Excellent spa ,helpful information for your physical and mental health, great classes for tai chi, yoga, and a lot of other classes. You can detox, relax, loss some weight or just have a good time here. You do not have to think about anything, just go to the restaurant and everything is coded. Detox or regular, you just make your choice. Food is amazing for something that is so healthy for you. You can be a vegetarian or meat lover. If you are looking for wild night life ,and a lot of partying this is not the place for you. And again if you want to get out of the rat race and try to find yourself , this will be a good start.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mermaid719
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

It is a great place if you're looking to recalibrate, get-away from stress and hectic urban life while also wanting to "invest" in your body & heath. So if you're looking to stay in a luxe resort, this is probably not exactly what you're looking for. Kamalaya is an unique sanctuary in that they offer all sorts of well-being & health-improvement programs and have practitioners from all the world that specialize in rolfing, qigong, TCM, healing, stress mgmt, etc. I went for the yoga program which was expensive and would not recommend it for intermediate or advanced level yogis. But still I had a good time taking other classes and learning new things. The massages (comp with the yoga programme) were fab and the beach coast is quite amazing. They have excellent food and I was amazed at the diversity of vegetarian dishes their chef was able to concoct. One thing to note, there is no TV so you are really detached from civilization. I left Kamalaya definitely feeling "new" and re-energized and would highly recommend it to those who are looking for peace and quiet and can appreciate being alone and living in the "now."

Room Tip: Try to the rooms atop the hill (across the reception). Great view of ocean!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I initially stayed here on my own in Dec 2010 and I looked so healthy on my return and so energised that my husband was curious. We decided to go there with our daughter for a healthy retreat for a week. We stayed in the two bedroom rock villa which is really spacious and ideal if you are travelling with family. I took the package for the three of us - I probably would have gone al-a-carte if I was going on my own again because I recall the treatments I liked previously, but decided that it would be a good idea if we all did the same program so we all were on "healthy lifestyle". Day one was hard for my husband and daughter saying - "what no alcohol!" and seeing all this incredibly healthy food. Within a day they were both onboard and really started enjoying the experience. They were surprised how quickly the day filled up with yoga, personal training in the gym, treatments and nutrition advice and it was a strange holiday in a sense as you are all so busy during the day it is like you are on an individual holiday with your individual thoughts, but then you get to regroup in the evening and share your experiences - so the best of both worlds actually - time to reconnect with yourself, but also having family to share it with. I had some transformations shifts with homeopathy which helped me shift a cough that has been lingering for a long time and also a session with a rolfing expert (a visiting practitioner) which resulted in no back or knee pain for many years and I want to follow Ferran around the world (he is based in Barcelona). The consultants are second to none, the environment is relaxing and it is an amazing place to recharge. Are the rooms the best I have ever stayed in - absolutely not....but you are not actually there for the villa, you are there to invest some time in yourself. At the end of the trip there were quite a few kilos lost, a lot of stress left behind and we all felt ready to take on the working world again. Holidays are about the experience and I think Kamalaya gets the experience just right and the service is really good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Ionise
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Spent three days here as a wind down. Did the job perfectly. Food and spa are excellent. Being built on a hill, you certainly get your share of exercise walking up and down to the beach. i had a hillside suite but on reflection think would have preferred one of the villas. Occasionally felt that the service was a bit slow and that they were little understaffed. Would happily return though.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!