“A great wellness experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Sydney, Australia
“A great wellness experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I recently stayed at Kamalaya for 7 nights and loved the place. I didn't opt for the detox program and just took the 3 day well being program which was ideal. Booked the hill top sea view room and loved the view each morning and at sunset however it price is a consideration then it probably is not necessary as you tend to be out of the room for most of the day. Food was extremely good as was the choice of juices. The pool is a great for laps and generally you would have it to yourself. Yoga, Pilates, and other exercise classes were also excellent the only criticism I have it there are only 2 classes between 0730 & 8.45am and then again at 4pm and 5.15pm. I think there should be classes in between these hours too for those guests who want to not lie in the sun. There is a gym of course however I think extra classes would be welcome. The workshops eg reiki, feldenkrais at night are really a marketing exercise to entree guests to book additional treatments and I found these to be quite uncomfortable and off putting. The option as a solo traveller to join others on the communal table is fantastic way of socialising too. Treatments were of a high quality and the staff all were lovely. The resort is situated away from civilisation so the only option is to wind down, relax and enjoy being spoilt.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Elizabeth94_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Another 2 weeks in Kamalaya , although it was rainy season , it was a great stay , good detox style food , lots of healing treatments in the spa ,a beach to laze on and a pool to swim in. No real need to go into Lamai town . Good exercise walking up to our room from the beach. Worth staying at .

Room Tip: Different room have diferent prices, most have great sea viwes.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken H
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have practiced yoga for over 15 years and mid-way through a 200 teacher training, so when I wanted to get away this year I wanted to make yoga, health and well-being central to my holiday. Sure I wanted to laze by a pool, but I mostly wanted to be kept busy doing good things for myself.

And I found it here. Kamalaya is lush and green and landscaped. The staff are attentive and the food is creative and healthful. I chose the yoga package which included all food and drinks and many treatments. I had things to do every day and ate really well and REALLY CLEAN!!!

I booked an entry-level villa and was stoked to have been upgraded to the beachside villa with private pool. This is living. If I ever return I will book this villa again.

For the bad - I would say that the yoga teachers are Thai and are lacking in their English. To their credit I must say they definitely know their stuff, despite having less than 3 years teaching experience each (I met 2 of them).. but at home I am spoilt with amazing teachers who prize language and instruct a class with their own style of yogic poetry - Here, this is not the case.. the classes were slightly repetitive and instructions lacked the inspirational overtones of creative speech and dynamic language. After 6 days of hearing the same cadence of "Now come back uuup" (and up always being in an 'up' note) I was ready to strangle people..

I know that's not a nice thing to say, and its not fair given I can't speak another language at all, but it was a big downer on the whole experience, which was otherwise flawless.

I also booked a private meditation which literally blew my mind (and my chakras) wide open!

Thanks Kamalaya.

Room Tip: Take the villa with the pool - you'll have to walk up a very big steep hill every day to get to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank diesel7777777
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit , the healing resort are either very restricted and lack holistic experience . In Kamalaya you get complete experience with an excellent service from a well trained staff and massuier.
I had a neck and shoulder pain constantly bothering me for last fifteen days , they have a specialist , in just one session my problem was cured.
The place has fantastic energy , I will definitely visit again

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Vivek K
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I travel a lot and kamalaya is a place I have returned to three times because of its amazing ability to rejuvenate body and mind! I did yoga and meditation everyday and by following the treatment programme thats suited to you, you get luxury treatments each day. The ayurveda treatment of Shirodhara being my favourite. Other highlights are the Communal table they provide at dinner so if you go alone you have a place to enjoy your experience with other likeminded people.
My last trip was with my mum and sister and we found the staff so warm and friendly and think that is one of the main reasons we carry on going back as we love the Thai culture and spirituality.
Kamalyaya is also built on an old buddhist cave so there is a spirtual vibe to the whole surroundings and a great cave to go meditate in and light a candle : )
Thank you kamalaya for such a wonderful stay.
ขอบคุณ[มาก]

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank aprilgreaves
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My sister and I took my mom on a ladies retreat to Kamalaya - kudos to my sister who made the choice, she could not have picked a more perfect place! Kamalaya has mastered the art of bliss. The resort itself is beautiful with lush grounds and a true sense of tranquility. The beach is beautiful and private - which is not the case with most beaches on the island! The service was absolutely exceptional. Everyone went above and beyond to be helpful, accommodating, warm and professional. And the food is AMAZING - we made the mistake of leaving Kamalaya for dinner once to go to Saffron (which has a stellar reputation as one of Ko Samui's best restaurants) and completely regretted it - the food at Kamalaya was much better and everything is both healthy and delicious. And of course, the Spa. Top notch! Finally, our room was perfect - spacious, gorgeous outdoor shower and huge porch perfect for lounging and reading. We left Kamalaya rejuvenated, refreshed, blissed out and happy. We will DEFINITELY be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank isafir
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I visited Kamalya in July and have nothing but great things to say about my stay. The staff were so helpful, the food was amazing and the massages were fabulous! I am a mother of 3 and my gorgeous hubby agreed to take on solo duties while I went away for a week to recharge my batteries. Keep in mind that it's not a place to go if you're after a picture perfect beach as it's a bit rocky and you have to walk out quite a bit to reach the deep water. That being said, I was happy to laze in the hammock under the tree or on one of the many beach chairs with my healthy and delicious smoothie. Thanks for looking after all my needs, it was just what I needed!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
#10 of 62 in Maret
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,558 reviews
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!