“Faultless experience”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The service at kamalaya is world class. You could come here for the stunning rooms (I had a suite overlooking the ocean) and divine food alone. But of course this place offers so much more. All health and well being activities were amazing and staff were so genuinely kind and accommodating. Very comfortable to be here on your own too. I loved it. Easy trip from Singapore.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading if you can. If you have problems walking mention this when booking as the paths are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank familyfuninsun

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed there a few nights and had a great relaxed time.
Good points: the arrival pick-up to departure send-off was attentive. The food was great for detox, and i loved the unlimited ordering, despite not costing much as mostly are veges & fruits, but this being priced-in already & unlimited offering came across was value-added service. The staff there was super nice and they remember your name & what you like to eat/drink,which I was very impressed. The massages/treaments were very good, extremely organized and very skilful. I had not had one sub-standard massage there. The yoga classes also good but i wish they hv classes of different levels, as they all seem to be beginners classes. The visitors there was also good, quiet & repsected one's privacy & polite. They tend to be solo travellers or in twos.
Bad points: My room was a bit dirty, the bathroom had mould & constant damp smell. Which is always my biggest worry when travelling. So i avoided this by showering and used the toilets at the treatment centre. The mattress i recalled was quite hard. The swimming pool is too small. The beach is very average. And overall abit pricey.
But i would not mind going again if there is a cleaner room and i would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank golligosh
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just returned from our third stay at Kamalaya, this time for 10 days. Once again, it was an excellent experience. I undertook the Optimal Fitness package whilst my wife did the Asian Bliss package. Combined with the daily class activities this certainly kept us busy and we both returned fitter and lighter.

There are too many positives to cover in a brief review but the standouts are the way the resort fits in with the natural environment, the overall atmosphere which Karina and John have created, the food, the staff (across all areas - F&B, housekeeping, wellness and fitness) and the like-minded guests.

The imagination which goes into creating an ideal weight/detox menu which does not make you feel like you are dieting is really impressive. I heartily recommend the mung bean pasta, the vegetable curry and steam-stirred glass noodles.

Particularly welcome this year was the expansion to the gym with separate rooms for cardio and weights now and the increased variety of yoga classes with additional local external practitioners.

We will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: We like the sea view villas but in truth if you are on a package and also doing plenty of the daily...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwi666Sydney
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I recently stayed at Kamalaya for 7 nights and loved the place. I didn't opt for the detox program and just took the 3 day well being program which was ideal. Booked the hill top sea view room and loved the view each morning and at sunset however it price is a consideration then it probably is not necessary as you tend to be out of the room for most of the day. Food was extremely good as was the choice of juices. The pool is a great for laps and generally you would have it to yourself. Yoga, Pilates, and other exercise classes were also excellent the only criticism I have it there are only 2 classes between 0730 & 8.45am and then again at 4pm and 5.15pm. I think there should be classes in between these hours too for those guests who want to not lie in the sun. There is a gym of course however I think extra classes would be welcome. The workshops eg reiki, feldenkrais at night are really a marketing exercise to entree guests to book additional treatments and I found these to be quite uncomfortable and off putting. The option as a solo traveller to join others on the communal table is fantastic way of socialising too. Treatments were of a high quality and the staff all were lovely. The resort is situated away from civilisation so the only option is to wind down, relax and enjoy being spoilt.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Elizabeth94_12
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Another 2 weeks in Kamalaya , although it was rainy season , it was a great stay , good detox style food , lots of healing treatments in the spa ,a beach to laze on and a pool to swim in. No real need to go into Lamai town . Good exercise walking up to our room from the beach. Worth staying at .

Room Tip: Different room have diferent prices, most have great sea viwes.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have practiced yoga for over 15 years and mid-way through a 200 teacher training, so when I wanted to get away this year I wanted to make yoga, health and well-being central to my holiday. Sure I wanted to laze by a pool, but I mostly wanted to be kept busy doing good things for myself.

And I found it here. Kamalaya is lush and green and landscaped. The staff are attentive and the food is creative and healthful. I chose the yoga package which included all food and drinks and many treatments. I had things to do every day and ate really well and REALLY CLEAN!!!

I booked an entry-level villa and was stoked to have been upgraded to the beachside villa with private pool. This is living. If I ever return I will book this villa again.

For the bad - I would say that the yoga teachers are Thai and are lacking in their English. To their credit I must say they definitely know their stuff, despite having less than 3 years teaching experience each (I met 2 of them).. but at home I am spoilt with amazing teachers who prize language and instruct a class with their own style of yogic poetry - Here, this is not the case.. the classes were slightly repetitive and instructions lacked the inspirational overtones of creative speech and dynamic language. After 6 days of hearing the same cadence of "Now come back uuup" (and up always being in an 'up' note) I was ready to strangle people..

I know that's not a nice thing to say, and its not fair given I can't speak another language at all, but it was a big downer on the whole experience, which was otherwise flawless.

I also booked a private meditation which literally blew my mind (and my chakras) wide open!

Thanks Kamalaya.

Room Tip: Take the villa with the pool - you'll have to walk up a very big steep hill every day to get to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank diesel7777777
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my second visit , the healing resort are either very restricted and lack holistic experience . In Kamalaya you get complete experience with an excellent service from a well trained staff and massuier.
I had a neck and shoulder pain constantly bothering me for last fifteen days , they have a specialist , in just one session my problem was cured.
The place has fantastic energy , I will definitely visit again

Stayed: October 2013
X2 Koh Samui Resort - All Spa Inclusive
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!