“Impeccable taste”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Kamalaya is designed and run with impeccable taste. The design and the atmosphere stand for a unique interpretation of luxury, very low key, very pleasant and down to every detail. Staff seems to be thoroughly screened and happy at work. Cooking is (very much detox) gourmet style.
The only downsides I could find were the beach in April (I was told that it is partly seasonal), it looks nice and is good for walking but it was too shallow for swimming. And for people with a walking problem the setting is very challenging as the hill is very steep. You can get always a golf cab to drive you but some places might be difficult.
I very much appreciated the commitment of the wellness sanctuary and felt in very good hands with Stephen, Violetta and Dr. Song.
Absolutely a place to be revisited!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Maybe I am missing something but Kamalaya was disappointing for the money it charged. Yes I agree the service and the food in the restaurants was good but my experience in the spa did not meet my needs;as the staff do not speak much English so the therapist does not ask you what pressure you need and the facial treatment was one of the worst I have ever had! The rooms are in need of re-decoration and the beds are as hard as a rock, so be prepared for little sleep.

The beach was also disappointing, as other reviewers have commented the water is very shallow and full of shingle so no paddling on the shoreline unless you wear special plastic slippers to protect your feet. When the tide went out the beach looked less attractive and in order to swim you have to walk about 10 minutes to get any depth and without any lifeguard, it is also rather dangerous!
The hills in the resort are also very steep to climb and are quite a challenge in the heat and humidity, some fitness is required and the pool has only a few loungers which means you are forced to use the loungers on the beach.
However Kamalaya does deliver with its choice of therapies and Yoga and I understand why this place has become so popular for stressed out Executives and others who just need some peace and quiet to reconnect with their soul.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geranium1HongKong
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We spent 3 days at this resort and I must say, it's one the best 3 days of my life so far. From head to toe, it's difficult to find flaws regarding this wonderful resort. When you arrive, you'll head to a wellness consultation to make sure you utilise the fullest of this place. The rooms, amazing, from the bedding to the bathroom. The spa, ohhh so amazing and it gets better when you get a treatment room that's facing the Gulf Of Thailand. The facilities such as the Steam Cavern, the normal temperature pool with a beautiful view, is the best. Definitely one of the best stay i had for awhile.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Faiqilhan
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I didn't go to Kamalaya to start a new health regime. I'm healthy as it is. But it appeals to have somewhere you can really do everything you want to do if you're in to nothing (nothing is also a very good option. The place is a chillfest). I don't eat gluten, dairy or egg which can make travel a bit painful. I also don't drink or have big nights so I was looking for something like minded. I've been wanting to come for years.

As soon as I got into my room, I noticed the music in the room I just kept on all the time. So soothing. What a nice touch.

June was amazing as a therapist. I had the Chi Nei Tsang abdominal massage and instantly felt better. I had another one the next day with another therapist as well as infrared saunas, a scrub and another massage. All great.

The food was the best I've ever had at a resort. Catering for allergies, those who want to be healthy and those who want to indulge in a relatively healthy way.

I scored a room upgrade which I was grateful for. Huge. Way too big for just me. But I loved it.

When you don't know where everything is and you don't know your way around the spa, it's not that easy to get around and I didn't find a lot of it explained. I just asked guests and I was fine.

Due to commitments, I only had time to stay two nights. But within an hour, I was figuring out when and how I could get back here for at least a week.

Secluded beach was divine. There was always enough chairs for the people whether it be there, around the pool or the hang out areas within the spa.

Mem taught the yoga class I did and was great.

Really good place to come with people or alone.

I didn't like how they changed my air temperature in my room. I was inside and heard someone playing with the buttons (assuming remotely). Didn't like it. minor though.

Some people talk about the expensive food. But the array and quantity make it well worth the price. I just wonder if they don't know great quality food when they have it. The seclusion means that you're not crashing into people at the pool, there's wine and maybe other alcohol available but people don't get drunk. It's just a lovely place to be.

Buffet not stocked quickly in the mornings - they ran out of juice, mango and Bircher while I was there. These were quickly refilled once I asked. That was something very little as everything else was amazing.

Room Tip: They're all amazing, just depends what you want to pay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Acmelbournegirl
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We spent only 5 days at this resort in February but even in that short space of time I felt totally relaxed and renewed like never before. I had reached Kamalaya very stressed and burnt out due to work pressures and needed to wind down. I had found Kamalaya on web search for a yoga retreat in Thailand. It is one of the best!

The experience starts when you step into the reception area and are served the refreshing hibiscus drink. The reception staff are so attentive and helpful that it is unreal. Then you walk down a picturesque path lined by trees and flowers to your villa (ours was sea view, which I wholly recommend). The villa is serenely beautiful, not posh in the conventional sense but natural and perfect!! Better than my imagination. It has two rooms on split levels and a balcony with stunning views. I can only mouth 'wow' silently.

Lunch in the Amrita café, breakfast and dinner in Soma restaurant are not just gustatory but visual experiences too with elegant setting and beautiful views. Yoga pavilion is the perfect place ever for yoga practice and I felt drawn to it morning and evening for my daily fix. The instructors are highly trained. I have practiced yoga all my life but still felt like a novice before them. The wellness sanctuary has the most spectacular location with stunning ocean views. The relaxed ambience is just what I needed. The massages and treatments I had were amongst the best I have ever had! Even the library in the resort is the most inviting space I have ever seen, with a small airconditioned section and a large, sitting/lounging area with plenty of cushions, overlooking the ocean. The ocean view is omnipresent. The beach, during our visit in February, was beautiful.

The best bit of the resort for me was Arjan's cave, where the eponymous monk meditated centuries ago! I meditated there twice and felt amazing energy in the cave that transcended my normal efforts.

Relationships masterclass and pranayama class with Smitha were amazing and so was the guided meditation class with Rajesh. At the end of our 5 days I felt chilled out and at peace with myself. The mad, frantic energy of the outside world had calmed to a stillness, which has stayed with me many days after leaving the resort. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a sea view villa, which has great views and is close to most facilities.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank shrotrisare
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This place is Wellness with a capital W. The vibe, the food, the people and the service.... all excellent. We will definitely come back the first chance we get. Special thanks to Rajesh and Klack who took good care of us.. Good to know for travellers travelling solo, you will fit in as peas in a pod. Grtz Mona & Michiel

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Kamalaya has created an oasis. The staff are of the highest calibre, the resort design is sensitive and relaxing (well, may be not all those hills and steps you have to climb!) and atmosphere and approach is holistic and gentle. None of the hard sell you get at places like Chiva Som exists here, just high quality service, friendly people and encouragement in beautiful surroundings. The rooms are not '5*' but everything else is wonderful. As soon as you leave you start planning how to get back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
#33 of 185 in Bophut
Banburee Resort & Spa
Banburee Resort & Spa
#2 of 3 in Laem Set

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!