“Villa Peaceful”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Norrkoping
Stockholm, Sweden
“Villa Peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Villa Fridhem, a hotel and conference centre near Norrköping, was once a royal residence. Built in 1909 for Prince Carl, the imposing building was designed by Ferdinand Boberg, one of Sweden’s foremost architects. The royals, however, are long departed, though their images are everywhere, and Villa Fridhem has been a hotel since 1990. Guest rooms are in a modern annex, which also includes a spa centre with an indoor pool. The dining room and conference facilities are in the main building. Villa Fridhem can be roughly translated as Villa Peaceful. It’s an apt description as the hotel is located in beautiful countryside with a view south from the dining room and adjoining lounge over the formal gardens to the broad stretch of water that runs from Norrköping to the Baltic Sea.
The hotel has a non-smoking policy, which is set out in no uncertain terms in the hotel literature. Anyone who has smoked in their room, I read, could expect a minimum fine of 2000 kronor, plus whatever more it cost to sanitize the room. That didn’t worry me as I don’t smoke, but I was surprised by the guest-threatening tone adopted – but not all guests, only those who can read Swedish. The English translation, I noticed, makes no mention of the Draconian punishment awaiting the unwary smoker. I also read in the hotel lit that I could breathalyse myself, should I feel the inclination, with something called a Dräger 3000. The apparatus could be borrowed at the reception. I wondered what sort of debauched smoking and drinking sprees my fellow guests, and presumably rowdy conference delegates unwinding after a long day of absorbing the corporate message, got up to in Villa Peaceful. There was no mention of the self-breathalysing in the English translation.
My wife and I stayed two nights. I tried to book over the Internet but got confused about the various packets and weekends (including a ‘middle-of-the-week weekend’) on offer. I rang instead and the helpful and charming receptionist put together a special packet just for us. The price seemed fair. We could use the spa and pool, but afternoon tea was not included. The latter starts at 13.00 hrs, incidentally. Not what I would call teatime, but things can be different in Sweden – like the young waiter in the dining room. He asked politely if I had enjoyed the main course. I had, and gave him a Little Jack Horner impression, pointing at my very empty plate. A stuffy English or French waiter would have left it at that, but not the young Swede. He mimed picking up the plate and licking it clean. We both laughed. I love the Swedes!
I can thoroughly recommend Villa Fridhem. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We left hoping to return some day. Perhaps next time I’ll borrow the Dräger 3000 and give it a good blow.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had difficulty finding the place but once there we were delighted with our choice. The first room we were was noisy due to faulty air conditioning. We were immediately upgraded to a beautifully decorated room with a small terrace that made us feel like we were living in the forest.
Dinner was absolutely delicious in a pleasant dining hall overlooking the sea.
The hotel has everything for families as well: playground, indoor swimming pool and a few families seemed to be quietly and smoothly enjoying their summer holidays there.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the forest side.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Imatra, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

You don't hear that from the kids very often, but this hotel was considered the best of it all. Of course the Pool does do a lot, and because it is only a few steps from your room to the pools, easy to go with a bathrobe. Well, as it was very hot, the pool was a heaven. Easy to help yourself to a beer after swimming.
Superior rooms were good, if nothing very special. The extra bed was missing upon arrival, but was made soon after that.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening and was seated by the terrace window with a good view to the garden and the sea. The food was not that special either, but both the Salmon and the Cod were tasty. They tried to be lazy with the wines, but my demands put them back to the track and the service was very good after it was settled that I do not necessarily settle with their recommendation.
Breakfast has a large variety of items and mostly very tasty, in the same beautiful restaurant in the Manor building.
Nice, tidy place, good services and staff, beautiful location. There is all kind of guided activity program in the evening, and a troubadour on the patio restaurant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HarriHirvela
Pieksamaki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were visiting in Kolmården with our family. This hotel was near the place. Hotel was beautiful, food and breakfast was exellent. Not typical hotel breakfast at all. Room was enough big for five person and very nice. Large hotel area was perfect for different kind of outdoor sport. Swimming pool and sauna was nice extra.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katri P
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A hidden gem at least for a Finn. We had not heard of this place and the nice location was a great suprise. Pool area was great, rooms nice and restaurant also good. Nice place to stay. In summer time there seems to be a lotf kids which might disturb certain travellers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is built in an old manor and modernized with style. The main building contains the reception and restaurant while hotel rooms are in a rear building. The parking lot is in the back and you will need to walk down a hill to the reception. Leave your bags in the car, you can carry them in from the back after checking in.

The hotel can be hard to find, despite the giant sign by the road. We had entered the address in our sat nav which guided us 3 km in the wrong place. So be sure to use the GPS coordinates instead (N 058°40.185, E 16°15.496). The hotel is only a short drive away from Kolmården zoo which makes it a perfect base while visiting the attraction.

The rooms are of decent size and they combine the old with the new in a beautiful way. E.g. the floors and doors are old but the bathroom and all the tech is modern. Our room was very clean and comfortable and we would've happily stayed for more than one night. There is also a small spa in the same building and a nice inner yard with tables where you can sit if the weather is nice.

We arrived late so we did not have a chance to try the dinner at the restaurant. The breakfast however was one of the best we've had in a long time including everything you can ask for and a little more. Extra praise to the raspberry juice and blueberries with natural yoghurt!

Last, but not least, all the staff we encountered during our short stay were very friendly and generous, making our stay feel like it lasted for too short a while.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the second floor if you travel by car, and you will get straight to the parking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PatrikPatrikPatrik
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I stayed in Villa Fridhem for 4 nights and 4 days for a business training with 20 others. It is in a beautiful location but can be hard to find.
We arrived late at night on the national holiday (June 6th) and the hotel was officially not open. However they hung a bag on the entrance door with a welcome letter, keys to our rooms and instructions where to find refreshments. Great service!
The rooms were very comfortable. Nice, firm bed, good shower, clean.
All meals were good, some diners even very good. Nice, fresh, local produce, prepared as it should. The staff was very attentive and no (odd) request was too much.
If I ever need to go back to that area I would defintely like to stay in Villa Fridhem again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norrkoping
Strand Hotell
#1 of 1 in Soderkoping
BEST WESTERN Princess Hotel
BEST WESTERN Princess Hotel
#9 of 12 in Norrkoping

Been to Villa Fridhem? Share your experiences!