“Covers your basic needs well”
Review of Akademihotellet

Akademihotellet
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Uppsala
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed in a double-room, first by myself, then as part of a couple. The room was smaller than I had expected, and the bathroom was tiny, but everything was clean and fresh. Definitely nothing luxurious, but perfectly sufficient for my purposes. The breakfast was somewhat limited but satisfactory, the wifi was fast, the key card system worked well when the reception was closed (22-07). I could easily hear events in the hallway, but was never disturbed by the neighboring rooms - not sure if the sound proofing is better there, or if I just had good luck with neighbors. It's reasonably priced for Sweden, particularly for such a convenient location - it's a 7-minute walk from Stora Torget and 15 minutes from the central train station.

Room Tip: My room was on the cathedral side, with no traffic disturbances.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I've stayed at Akademihotellet twice, and I have been very happy with the results. The single rooms are excellent, the staff is pleasant and there is free coffee and internet. Having some of my favorite candy in the reception is a plus!

As for the location, it was perfect for my needs; next to the city center, and not that far from the university. I do wish they had a map with the university areas drawn in; I suspect I wasn't the only academic visitor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights, and found this to be a supremely nice and quiet hotel. The room on the third floor faced the east, looking down to the cathedral, so I was away from traffic. It was the quietest room I have ever experienced, although I suspect that the other side, facing traffic, might have been a bit noisy in the morning, judging from the noise in the breakfast room. Size: a little small, but everything in there what I would have needed. Comfortable, though narrow bed, nice shower and bathroom, privacy, wifi worked mostly well, and the hotel is ideally located close to the university. Old radio, but modern flat TV (not many stations). Breakfast was very nice, with all kinds of cold cuts, boiled eggs, caviar spread, fruit, cereal, a little cheese (could be better), fresh veggies, a variety of breads, crackers, fruit, oj, apple juice, coffee (did not try it). I spent a lot of time in my room doing work, and I was completely undisturbed. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose only rooms facing east, or the backyard. There is no elevator, so you will have to carry your...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank aclassen
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a very simple, comfortable and convenient option while in Uppsala. My husband was visiting the University for 10 days and it was perfectly located- close to a bus stop and walking distance to town center. My senior aged parents also visited and they were very comfortable (although, note that there is no elevator so one may be better off on the second floor). True- you do not get any luxurious soaps and lotions or bathrobes and the bathrooms are not large, new or modern, and if that is the type of accommodation you seek, this is for NOT for you. However, the friendly atmosphere; the charming dining area with still and sparkling water dispenser, coffee machine, cookies, and wifi with ample space to chat or get some work done; the washing machine free of charge; the kitchen on each floor; and generous breakfast more than make up for any lack of 'luxury'. I stayed in a room on the street side during a warm August 2011 so the noise was bothersome for me, a light sleeper, only when the windows were open. However, the bed was very comfortable for us. It seems that some rooms are larger than others so if this is an issue, you may want to ask. Also, my parents stayed in the Apartment suite for a few nights and it was fantastic! Full private kitchen with view to the church, incredibly spacious- the bathroom alone was huge. The kitchen really helps with food costs if you have a long stay because restaurant prices in Sweden are very high. We loved our choice and hope to return!

Room Tip: Rooms facing street will be noisy but only if you keep your windows open and this should only be an...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2011

For tourists or anyone visiting the university, this is the best location in Uppsala. The spires of the cathedral loom right outside your window (if you are fortunate enough to be on the side away from the street), the University House is about a one-minute walk, the rest of the main buildings no more than 15 minutes away, three minutes to the castle, and ten minutes to the heart of downtown. Rooms on the north side also overlook the smaller but vrey picturesque Holy Trinity church. The rooms are smartly finished, and if you like the Ikea style you'll feel right at home. Very clean. Very Swedish. For a longer stay, they have one small apartment ("suite"?) with a real kitchen, but there's also a shared kitchen down the hallway for the regular rooms. Of course breakfast is included for the regular rooms. The only downside we've noted is that a room on the side facing the street can be a bit noisy, particularly in the summer when one likes leaving the windows open - the cost of being centrally located I guess. Unless we're in a flat for a visit of a couple of weeks or longer, we stay here.

Room Tip: Side away from street is better
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed one night in the hotel and enjoyed it very much. The location is perfect for sightseeing. All the famous buildings are just a few minutes away. The rooms are very clean and the breakfast is really good. Free coffee, fruits and cookies all day long. Very friendly and helpful service. Very good Italian restaurant - Il Forno Italiano - two blocks away in St. Olafsgatan 8, reservations recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2011

One night in Uppsala was all myself and 3 colleagues needed but we were warned that it was a busy week so to book early. I was surprised how expensive everywhere was and settled on this one a) as one of the least expensive and b) it wasn't a "chain" and so seemed a little less bland. It was also in the centre of the city which we didn't know and thought we might get out for a meal. Unfortunately due to late flights I got there at 1.30am and had to be up at 7am so saw nothing! As the hotel reception closes, I had a code to gain entry at the back door. That all worked and I found my way to the 2nd floor room. It was like going back to student days! The room was tiny and the bed was more like a little cot! Absolutely no luxuries but the room and bed was clean and I slept well. The bathroom was also tiny with rather threadbare towels and, again, nothing provided other than soap out of a wall-mounted dispenser. It was fine but it wasn't good value for money and certainly nowhere you would spend more than a night at. Cheap and cheerful is ok sometimes but this wasn't really much of either.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business