“OK hotel. Nice location to square in Halmstad. Good shopping. Teeny room”
Review of Scandic Hallandia

Scandic Hallandia
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Halmstad
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Hotel right on river and one block to shopping. Decent breakfast. Teeny room. No carpet at all. Good location but probably would not go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Scandic Hallandia

Reviewed 21 July 2011

In the city centre with very helpful staff and great breakfast. If you want a quiet room, you have to ask for it, but the staff will be happy to help you. They will also help you with tips on resturants, beaches etc. You can borrow bikes!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I stayed at the Scandic Hallandia for three nights in the middle of August; the purpose of my trip to Halmstad was to see the Roxette concert at Marknadsplatsen in Halmstad in which 20,000 people were expected at the venue. I’ve been to Halmstad a number of times over the past 12 years but have never actually stayed over; my past trips have always been just a case of passing through as day trip so this was officially my first ‘mini holiday’ in a town I have always wanted to stay in. I didn’t even look at the hotel location or details before I booked, I simply booked because of the ‘Scandic’ name having stayed in Scandic hotels before and because I was aware of how busy it was going to be this particular weekend, I just booked the first hotel that came up at a price I thought was reasonable!

I was not disappointed with my choice, the hotel is centrally located in the town of Halmstad, just a minutes’ walk from the town centre square and the wonderful little market. A little further a long starts the streets with the Halmstad shops and your above a five minute walk from the nearest supermarket called ‘Hemkop’ and the nearest McDonalds (if that’s your cup of tea!). The hotel is almost directly opposite the back of St Nikolas Church, so you do get the ringing of the bells, but the good double glazing of the windows blocks out the noise. Your also a few minutes’ walk to the ‘Nissan River’, the Central Bus Station where also the Tourist Information Centre is located, (there are a selection of bus stops along the market square a minutes’ walk away which will take to you to the likes of Tylösand Beach and other tourist spots in Halmstad). The main Central Halmstad Train Station is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

The Hotel itself I could find no fault with, it was actually rather busy the weekend I stayed, not just with fellow fans staying from the group I was seeing but there was a International Crayfish Party going on! The hotel was spotless, the staff I spoke to where courteous and helpful and when I needed additional towels for my room, they were provided for me. Breakfast is a traditional Swedish affair and there is plenty of seating, I was very impressed to find out that on a Sunday breakfast was served until 14.00 hours!

I occupied a Single Room on the 4th floor which overlooked the front of the hotel, and again I couldn’t find fault with anything in the room, the bathroom was sufficient, and I was not disturbed by noise despite being above the hotel lobby and outside the life area.

I didn't carry my laptop with me, but like other Scandic’s there is free Wireless access, however for those not carrying their own laptops, there is internet access in the hotel lobby and a printer, I found the printer a bonus because it meant I could check in online for my return flight home and print of my boarding pass, many of the hotels I have stayed in have not provided printers!

Overall a great hotel in a fantastic location for exploring Halmstad and one I will certainly stay in again! Already planning a return visit in 2011 and taking some friends who wish to visit Halmstad!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank FreedomButterfly
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We just stayed here for 2 nights on a road trip in sweden. As the reviews say - it is ugly from the outside but inside it's completely different. The hotel has a lovely feel about it and the staff are very friendly and chatty.
Our room was very nice - we had to move the 2 beds together as there doesn't seem to be standard double rooms apart from suites. The bathroom was clean and the room in general had everything you needed.
The dinner was fantastic. As we were travelling a lot we wanted something light so we ordered the tapas selection between the two of us - just perfect! The breakfast in the morning was the usual great Scandic standard and had some lovely fresh fruit available that nobody was taking!
We tried the relaxation area upstairs with the jacuzzi and sauna facilities and found that we were the only ones there. It's absolutely beautiful up there! You can sit in the jacuzzi or sauna with a view over the town. (You're high up - nobody can see in!!)
I think this hotel is absolutely beautiful, especially for the price.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RedSwede
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The hotel doesn't look good from the outside, just an ugly concrete block (behind the White building in Trip Advisors photo!), but inside it has clearly been renovated to a high standard quite recently. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and very nicely furnished. Breakfast was a massive buffet with something for everyone. Also very conveniently close to the main square. Price was very good too. Recommended!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights with my wife as part of our Sweden holiday. What I liked most was the friendly open atmosphere at the hotel. It put us both at ease right from the start. It wasn't spectacular, but practical and satisfactory in every respect. Considering the room rate, it was more than adequate. By the way the twin room offer they have on expedia is fine for couples...the twin beds can be moved tight together, effectively making a double bed.

The hotel appears to be mostly aimed at the business guest, but the staff members remembered us each day and were very helpful at all times. We were given a choice of rooms and allowed to inspect both before making our decision. The room had been recently renovated and was stylish and practical.

It was a hotel that went up in our estimation the longer we stayed there, which isn't always the case. We made use of the jacuzzi on the top floor which has a great view over the river and generally enjoyed having such a centrally located hotel, which allowed us to return quickly during the day if needed. Having stayed in a 'higher class' hotel in another Swedish city, I have to say that this one beat it over the 3 nights, mainly due to the friendly attentive staff and the absolute cleanliness in all areas of the hotel.

Halmstad is maybe not such a typical tourist destination (Tylösand, the beautiful beach resort nearby certainly is however in June and July), but we liked the unpretentious nature of the city and its nice and friendly people. If you want to get off the tourist trail for a few days and still be in a city, then it's worth a visit, and the Scandic Hallandia is a solid choice for your stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Offalyman
Reviewed 2 April 2009

Stayed or a month. Most of the rooms here now refurbished although i stayed in one that was not. Found the hotel staff very friendly and good service all round, nice food with good breakfast! jacuzzi, gym and sauna all availible and good standard.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business