“Best Cocktails in Gothenburg”
Review of Avalon Restaurang

Avalon Restaurang
Reserve with
Avalon Restaurang is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,491 Restaurants in Gothenburg
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is nice, centrally located and has decent decor. But what really sets this place apart is Magnus the bartender. He is a master of his craft and a genius to boot.

He has developed craft cocktails using only native Scandinavian ingredients. I asked him to surprise me, and oh boy did he!

The finale was a bespoke cocktail he crafted in memory of my dad based on descriptions I gave him. Red wine, single malt whisky, salted caramel syrup and a couple other ingredients resulted in a drink that brought back so many great memories I actually got emotional. The three hours I spent at the Avalon drink my way around Sweden was definitely the highlight of my two days in Gothenburg!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Avalon has for years had one of the best bars in Gothenburg, the staff is consistently excellent and both classics and new creations are served with impeccable precision.
Since this is a design hotel the restaurant and bar looks great and is littered with fun and/or weird art.
And if you want to feel the pulse on the city, sit on one of their arty chairs on their great terrasse and watch the people pass by.

Date of visit: September 2018
Fearless669033, Chef at Avalon Restaurang, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Hi Pontus.
Thank you for your kind review, it makes us really happy to read.
The bar team at Avalon is working hard to keep the standard high at all times and it is nice to see that out guest notices and appreciates it. The crew at Avalon hope to see you here soon again.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Convenient location to drop inn for something to eat or drink but don’t expect gourmet food here!

Nice and long wine-list but limited food menu. The service has room for improvement.

Date of visit: August 2018
André E, Chef at Avalon Restaurang, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Hi TravellerMan72.

Thank you for your review.
Avalon is not a gourmet restaurant, and we never said we were.
We serve good, well cooked food with nordic roots.
During the summer we have e menu that attracts a bigger audience since we have a lot of tourists and not our normal segment of guests.
I´m sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the serivce. Out service level is something we take seriously.

We at Avalon hope you give us another chance if you come to visit Gothenburg again.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Couch and cosy chairs on the terrasse.
They have blankets for frisky evenings.
Great choice of wine by the glass. Barman was nice and offered to taste different wine.
We had a great time there.
One complaint is the smokers near the door or standing near the terrasse. They should be smoking elsewhere.

Date of visit: August 2018
André E, Chef at Avalon Restaurang, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Hi R.Cote.
Thank you for taking your time to write about our restaurant.
I am very pleased to read your review about us and that you enjoyed your time here.
We at Avalon hope to see you here again on your next trip to Gothenburg.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

My wife and I had the buttered Cod with new potatoes sprinkled with fresh horse radish. The dish came with white asparagus. Perfect ice cold glass of white wine and a perfect dinner!!!

Date of visit: July 2018

Hi Mark and Sheri.
Thank you for your review.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at our restaurant.
I hope to see you here again.

Have a nice summer.