“Wonderful food”
Review of Smaka

Smaka
Reserve with
Smaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,373 Restaurants in Gothenburg
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had one of the best meals of our entire two week holiday in Sweden. It is a relaxed restaurant and the high standard of cooking came as a pleasant surprise. Excellent value too!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We made an online reservation and got great service. We enjoyed Swedish caviar, several herring preparations, salads and meat dishes. Price was fair, but not really cheap.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have just eaten here, arriving early at around 5.30pm and it was nearly empty. The waitress said that this weekend had been quiet unlike the previous weekend.
She was friendly an helpful throughout our meal, explaining our dishes as she brought them out.
My wife ordered a carpaccio of beet as a veggie starter and I had a selection of herring which was excellent. She then had meatballs and I had fish gratin which was
pretty much a very tasty fish pie, both meals were very well cooked and presented.
I decided to have the Kalvdans dessert, a milk pudding with a warm fruit sauce and cream. Lovely! My wife ordered a chocolate truffle in a coffee syrup and was a a bit taken aback when it came out and was exactly that - a small chocolate in syrup rather than the cake type dessert that she expected.
I wouldn't say that it was a cheap meal though for the quality of the food, and in terms of Swedish restaurants, would say that it is worth what you do pay.
A very nice place to eat!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is not the easiest review to write as we had such a mixed experience at Smaka. We'd made the choice based on TA and other reviews, and I particularly wanted to have Swedish food for our last night in the city, which also happened to be my wedding anniversary. We walked over earlier in the day and made a reservation, specifying an inside table.

We arrived about 10 minutes early, and were shown to a high (bar stool height), deeply uncomfortable, banquette style booth just off the bar. Not what we wanted at all. Unfortunately, the meeter and greeter had no confidence at all to see if he could sort this out and we had to wait for quite some time for the senior waitress to be available. She rearranged things without any difficulty, but in the meantime two very large groups had arrived and ordered, which sadly set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Our orders was eventually taken, but because of the sheer volume of people, and lack of staff (just two waitresses, two bartenders and the completely extraneous greeter) things were very, very slow indeed. About an hour for starters to arrive, and another half hour for main courses, which was doubly annoying for those who weren't having a starter.

As to the food, again, a slightly mixed experience. The mixed charcuterie plate was wonderful. My cod quenelles were stunning, as were the vegetarian option (sadly only one on offer) and the meatballs. Two of us had opted for the brisket, and they were disappointed, both with the cooking (very dry) and the fact it had been inadequately reheated. I suspect there may have been something lost in translation in the menu on this one.

The ambiance was very noisy - mainly because of the two very large groups (who I believe were in town for West Pride) coupled with inherently poor acoustics. The loos definitely need some love, and I think a fresh coat of (perhaps lighter colour) paint would go a long way.

I must say that the two waitresses did a brilliant job under very tough circumstances. Ours tried hard to keep up and let us know what was going on, and the free Plopps were very gratefully received ;)

In spite of all this, I liked Smaka and would definitely give it another chance. I think I'd probably try to eat much earlier in the evening in the hope of getting in before it got too busy. I'd also add that it was better value than a lot of other restaurants we either tried or looked at.

1  Thank mizgeorge
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went on our last evening in Gothenburg and wanted to choose wisely, which we did using 'trip advisor' and booked via the site with English translation. The directions were correct from our hotel though the timings were not, unless we had sprinted. Anyway, it was a friendly, cosy restaurant and was concerned about the tables very close together but it was fine. We started with sharing the selection platter which had elk, pig cheek and venison etc., and it was very tasty choice. Main course for me was the Swedish balls which were very tasty and for my husband the venison which was so beautifully tender. We finished with husband having sorbet and i, the raspberry souffle with liquorise which was made to order and so worth the wait because it was divine. We had a fabulous meal and evening and I would thoroughly recommend a visit because you certainly wont be disappointed.Fabulous!

1  Thank Ward5_13