“A good, low cost option in Gothenburg. Easy tram ride to the centre.”
Review of Kville Hotel

Kville Hotel
Ranked #64 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I booked some flights to Gothenburg for a quick city break, only realising after I'd booked that it was the weekend of the gothenburg half-marathon and hotels were pretty much sold out in the centre.

I booked this place through Hostelworld, as it seemed to be easily accessible from the centre by tram and was also close to the docks area on the north side of the river which is being regenerated.

I had an early flight from London, so arrived into the Central station area by 10am. I looked at the directions from the hotel website detailing the tram numbers that go past their stop and noticed it wasn't actually that far so decided to walk as it was lovely weather. It took me about 25 minutes to walk over the bridge and get to the hotel, good to know if I got stuck out in town late at night.

I stopped for a bite to eat near the hotel, so actually arrived there just after 12pm hoping to leave my bag and come back to check-in later. Luckily my room was ready so I was shown straight to it. Although it's a hostel/hotel the interior decor is fine (and currently being refreshed) and it doesn't have a cheap feel. I could only get an 'economy' room which meant I didn't have an en-suite bathroom and had to walk down the corridor to use the showers.

The room was quite compact and was a corner room which meant it had plenty of light but as you're on the ground floor people walking past can see right inside. this means you keep the curtains closed, although they're quite thin so it's still quite light inside. There is a good size flat screen tv in the room, along with a mini fridge for storing drinks and a good size wadrobe and drawers.

The shower rooms were a walk down the corridor, and there are 6 separate showers and all were kept nice and clean in the busy times in the mornings.

The breakfast is included and consists of some cereals, along with some breads and cold meat along with coffee or tea. Certainly plenty to set you up for the morning. The tea/coffee machine is on throughout the day, so you can go in and help yourself whenever you want.

There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel, and I had no problems with it and the speed was good. Staff were helpful and gave me a good basic plan of things to see for a first timer in Gothenburg. There's a good value Thai restaurant around teh corner and also an Italian place on the same block that's also quite cheap.

Overall I'd have no problem staying here again, a good value choice and not too far from the centre.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Blackheathbloke

Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. I might say that I think this is more a hostel then a hotel.
The room is small but clean. But they don't clean the rooms so the second day I had to ask for a fresh towel but I got it without any problem.
If you want to check in after 6 pm you get a code for the front door and a code for a box where you can find the key of the room. That was a problem cause they forgot to put the key in so I had to call and we waited for about 15 mins and they called me back with a code from another box where the key was.
Breakfast was good but the first day they told us it was just until 9.30 and at 9.15 someone was already busy putting cereals away.
Showers and toilets are down the hall but clean.
There is no washingtable in the room.
There's free wifi and a pc for use but very old and slow.
The breakfastroom can also be used if you want to eat something and there are 2 microwaves for use. There's a supermarket down the road so you can buy something and eat it in the hotel. Only a few plates and cutlery.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adavidanne
Reviewed 2 September 2012

If you stay for a week-end, you'd better buy the 3days Göteborg pass ; it seems quite expensive, but when you get it museums and transports (bus, tram...) are free, so all things considered, it's a good plan actually. You can buy it to the information point in the central station in Göteborg.

The Kville hotel is not in the town center but you can take a bus to the Vågmästere Platsen bus stop which is very close to the Kville Hotel (go across the street, under the bridge, then take on the left . So it takes about 10 minutes (5 in the bus, 5 walking) to go there from the central station.

In front of the hotel, there is a shop (open from 8 or 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.), very convenient!
There are some restaurants around the Kville Hotel : one indian, one swedish - but it was closed at that time for holidays (by the way, swedish restaurants are not so many in the second biggest city of Sweden, I was quite surprised! I went to Smaka with a swedish guy I've met in the Hotel, I strongly recommend it!) and a pub where you can play pool and snooker too!

The hotel was very clean (bedrooms, shower rooms, WC...), safe and located in a quiet place. Service was ok too. Good breakfast! You can get wifi for free and there are two computers you can access too with an internet connexion. I recommend this place if you travel by yoursel or with some friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Francois D
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I went to Gothenburg, and stayed in Kville for a night...
Pros:
One, good value for money... i booked through hostelworld, and the rates were competitive.
Two, great pantry... they keep cookies and some other food items kept there for munching, and quality of that was thoroughly amazing :)
Three, the staff is helpful, and the rooms and washrooms were really clean.
Four, the assortment of food that they offer in b'fast is wonderful... also, the items are very tasty and sufficient to keep your day going :)

Cons:
One, the location of this place is quite out of the way of mass transport... even after getting down at the nearest bus stop, one will have to walk quite a bit to reach this place (given its remote location).
Two, the washroom locations are quite awkward... i had to walk down quite a bit, even crossing the public reception area, to reach the shower.
Four, they close the kitchen except during a narrow time-frame, and the equipment/s are not available for inmates' cooking... this is quite opposite to the norms in other such facilities.
Five, rooms are cramped.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This place definitely falls into the "you get what you pay for" category. It is simple and basic, but our room was very clean, it is an easy trip into the city centre by tram or ferry, and - most importantly from our perspective - the front of house staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

We were staying in Gothenburg for only 24 hours and upon arrival the guy at the front desk gave us a range of recommendations of how to best spend an afternoon in the city. We took his recommendations and they were all excellent. The breakfast wasn't luxurious but for the price were paying we could have expected a lot worse.

Overall a nice cozy place in Gothenburg that I would highly recommend to those travelling on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Friend and I stayed here a couple of nights, the room was comfortable and the breakfast good. It is only about a ten minutes tram ride to the centre but we just walked it while we were there. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice little budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Good: friendly staff, acceptable breakfast (just about), free wifi, nice reception area with sofas.

Bad: dust mites. I am allergic to dust mite detritus, but usually don't have a problem in hotels and hostels. This place had me scratching so bad I had to move to somewhere else. Getting fresh sheets and not using a duvet made no difference. There was also no hot water for two days of my stay, which was apparently the fault of city maintenance, but either way is unacceptable. Dorms are very small.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends