“Good location”

Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
UK
“Good location”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is right in the centre of town on the main street. I was there for a business conference so it was well located.

The first room I went into smelled of sewage so I had to change room. The other rooms were OK. In general the rooms and hotel is looking a little tired and overall needs a full refurbish.

One big positive is the breakfast. A very good varied buffet and nice restaurant. They also cater for Gluten and Lactose intolerant people! I also emailed in advance with some items I would like due to dietary restrictions and was delighted to see they had everything I needed. Thanks!! :-)

Facilities -> Gym and Spa area are free to use:

The gym was actually quite reasonably sized. I'm used to hotel gyms being smaller but this one had good equipment and was a good size. I was the only one in there when I went in and would have liked to be able to adjust the music a little louder. Would also be good to have a TV in there on the wall, so if no one in there you can just watch the TV while you workout.

The spa area looked OK but only had 1 steam room, 1 sauna and 1 small pool that was out of order. The area was quite small overall. I was quite disappointed as this is one of the reasons I picked this hotel. Another annoyance is that you have to book a time to use the spa in advance as only 10 people can be in there at any time apparently! So you need to know in advance when you want to use it which obviously is difficult to be sure of!

Room Tip: The higher up the better view I think. I had a view towards Gothia Towers which was quite nice as a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Le Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Having stayed at another hotel on my last visit to Gothenburg, I was delighted with this one because it was warm, comfortable and clean. Sound-proofing in the room was was excellent. There was everything I needed for a good night's sleep. The location is great with bars, cafes, restaurants and clubs nearby...however, I relied on the hotel restaurant as this was a working trip. Limited menu and everything was nice except the dreadful white fried bread upon which was served the beautiful prawn salad...yuk...it should have been dark rye. Breakfasts very good with lots of choice and various diets catered for. I didn't use the health club but did take a look and it seemed OK, although the "relax pool" is just a shallow plunge pool and not for swimming. I couldn't fault the service; the staff were very prompt to respond (leaking sink, laundry, enquiry about the bill etc.) and very pleasant too. I hope to stay here again when I next visit Gothenburg.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Grenoble, France
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed there for business reason.
Hotel location is just wonderful to enjoy Gothenburg after work. Close to all the bars and places to hang out.
Room was silent, bed comfortable, even and iron board was available without having to request for it at the lobby.
Breakfast was the classical continental one, fresh and tasty.
I recommend for an efficient business trip!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Well located hotel in the centre of Gothenburg, very clean but the rooms are limited. Breakfast is exceptionally good as you would expect in any reasonable Swedish hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are priced fairly. Probably the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank SRB07
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2014

have stayed here several times over the years, the hotel keeps improving, physically and in terms of service. Room size is good for sweden/europe, and mattresses are not the usual soft ones so often found here. Good choice of tv cable channels (that is, for English language programs and movie channels). B'fast buffet only average. Service makes a difference here. Lots to see and do around the hotel, but it is a walk from the main shopping difference (not more than 15 mins; in the winter, it seems like 30…) Gothenburg is a large city in terms of size, so be sure you are in the right area if you are there for business.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Shropshire
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I had a good room in this hotel - with a comfortable bed, a kettle, an ironing board and a hair dryer (none of which should be taken as a given in Sweden). Nice bathroom, good shower. Free wifi with a decent speed to it.

There was a nice selection of food at breakfast. It was extremely busy, but I found a table with no problem. I also ate here at lunchtime with colleagues - the food was delicious. The only time I struggled was with room service. I was told by both reception and, when I telephoned by the restaurant, that the menu was on the TV. I looked all around and couldn't find it. I even tried the web ... and even Facebook! But no - I gave up and ate the chocolate in the minibar for two nights, and then they forgot to restock it on the last day so I did without. Do watch your bill - they were about to charge me for a wine from the minibar that I didn't take, but removed it without question when I pointed it out.

Somehow this place had a bit of a bland feel about it to me. Hard to put my finger on why, but it did. It was a perfectly OK place to stay for business (except I really would have liked some room service!) but I wouldn't stay here for a holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Upplands-Vasby, Sweden
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I'm sorry to say that I was so disappointed of this hotel. I'm a regular Elite customer and I really love their hotels, especially Elite Marina Tower in Stockholm, and I have stayed in many of them.
This was the first time in this hotel though, and it did not live up to ordinary Elite standard.
I had booked a DeLuxe room to have some space, which I like, and also because there was an executive lounge for breakfast which is usually more quiet.
My room was quite small, the TV was strangely placed and I did not have a make-up mirror (which is a must for me), no shower just a tub. So I upgraded to a junior suite.
But when I got there the beds were awful. They were so low and so dated it was like lying in a hammock. Both beds were just the same. I couldn't sleep well that night, woke up all the time so by morning I was so tired. I was in Gothenburg to attend an education and it’s very hard to do that when you haven’t slept well. Before leaving I told them in the reception, and they said I would have another room when I returned. I also asked for a room closer to the elevator (that is I have trouble walking due to rheumatism) because the suite I had was at the end of the corridor the furthest away from the elevator.
Upon returning I had another suite, as far from the elevator as the previous one. The same saggy beds and the TV entertainment system didn't work despite the repairman trying to fix it.
By that time I was so tired and I didn't want to make more fuss so I just went to bed and had yet another bad night.
In the morning I went to the executive lounge for breakfast and it was there and then it sealed the deal. Bad sour ham! Luckily I smelled it before putting on my sandwich. That is so not the way to serve breakfast in a 4-star hotel!
The staff was very nice and tried to do as much as they could so I give them top rating regarding service, but it's not easy to give service when they don't have the goods.
I'm sorry to say I will not be staying at this hotel again, at least not until they get new beds.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business