“4 star hotel or youth hostel?”
Review of Gothia Towers

Gothia Towers
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Germany
“4 star hotel or youth hostel?”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed at the Gothia Towers hotel over Easter, and were extremely disappointed. That to start off with, but let me mention a few positive things. The hotel is very centrally located, the rooms were small but okay and clean. The wifi was free of charge and very easy to access. We arrrived quite early, and were checked in and given a room immediately.

Now to the cons. I actually thought, that the Gothia Towers was a four star business hotel. Understandaybly the hotel must try to get it's rooms filled on the weekend, but doing this with hoards of teenage football players? This in itself would have been okay, if one would have tried to separate the guests from the "youth hostel" crowd. This unfortunately did not happen. On the Saturday morning we woke up to loud, and I mean LOUD!! music from the room next door. I called reception, and they sorted everything out. The music was accompanied by a not so rhythmic yet constant banging of doors down the whole corridor. We were on the 13th floor - in this case it was an unlucky number. I spoke to one of the receptionists, who kindly offered that we could change rooms, but as she told me that they would be checking out the next day, I told her we wouldn't bother. This was a lie! They only checked out 2 days later. When we returned to our room that night, there were youngsters lounging around or running around the hallway in their underpants, empty bottles and cups were strewn all over the place. The night was quiet until the next morning. We were once again torn out of our sleep, as some guy in the room above us started bouncing his ball on the floor at 7:30 in the morning. I can appreciate, that every now and again one can experience problems in a hotel with some guest perhaps turning his TV to loud or kids running about in the morning. However, the hotel must know, that accommodating such a large number of teenagers is going to cause problems, especially if you don't put them on a separate floor, or away from the other guests.

The breakfast was a real disappointment! I thought I had ended up in some cheap canteen, and that in a 4 star hotel. Many empty tables were cluttered with used plates, cutlery and glasses, and the whole atmosphere was just terrible. The quality of the food was poor and not arranged nicely in any way. The choice was limited, and the srambled egg was probably the most unappetising I have ever seen.

As we were travelling with our 12 year old son, we had a pull-out sleeping chair made up in the room. Now please believe me, when I say that the mattress on this chair had a maximum thickness of approx. 3-4 cms. It was impossible to sleep on, so I put the mattress topper of my bed onto his. Housekeeping were either not interested or just not attentive enough, and didn't bother to bring a new topper for my bed. On 2 days, they made up our sons bed with my topper on it, and on the other 2 days, they put the topper back onto my bed.

I will not return! I have seldom felt so badly and uncaringly treated as in this hotel, where one gets the feeling that they take your money, offer you a bed and food, and that's it. No more, no less.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed at Gothia Towers for three nights at Easter.
Tip1: Check out the hotels' own website before booking. They had a good offer for the holidays, better than on hotels.com and such. Hotel was quick and easy to communicate with on mail.
Tip2: Park at Focus. Parking is expensive in Gothenburg, and Gothia has reserved parking at Focus, 200 metres from the hotel. 125 kroners p 24h, I think. Parking was included in our room. In the basement of Focus is a huge ICA with everything you can imagine in a grocery store (exepct from real beer, of course... This is Sweden). Here we bought all our groceries, and sandwiches and delicious Brämhults juice for our trip home.
We had a Sky Room. Recommended! The wiew was spectacular for the 19th floor, we looked straight down on Liseberg. What it is like to sleep at the lower levels, with a very busy four lane street outside, I don't know.
Bar at 23rd floor is a must (even if you don't stay at the hotel) with its glass elevator and 360 degree wiew! Very convenient to have such a great bar at the hotel, so that the final drink is close to home.
Location: Very good. 5 minutes easy walk to the Avenyen, and just across the street from Liseberg.
Never tried the restaurants. Menu not tempting at 23rd floor, huge line at italian place on street level.
Breakfast was a real disappointment! I don't know what was in those "scrambled eggs", bacon was bad, and glasses for juice were warm out of the dishwasher.
Outside: We tried several restaurants just strolling down the Avenyen and looking to our sides, all good. Noteworthy was "Kometen", a retro restaurant with trad swedish food and fantastic atmosphere. We paid about 650 SEK for two meaty and big main courses, two beers, water and coffee and punch (trad liqueur) at the end.
We had a good stay at Gothia Towers. But... When returning to Gothenburg, we will probably choose the Elite Park Avenue Hotel unless Gothia offers some special bargain.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gunnar2000
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I booked Gothia Towers via one of the hotel booking sites and got a fairly good deal, but it seems the hotel personnel did not like it. When checking in at the reception, we did not get a single smile, nor we got answers to our questions regarding dinner places and things to see. When I asked if I could get air miles for staying at Gothia Towers, the receptionist said "You paid too little money". Unbelievable!

Besides, the room was small and the window faced a wall. Everything looked very simple and with no style. I do not think this hotel deserves to be rated high on TripAdvisor and I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Stockholm
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Booked a Sky room on the hotel website and got upgraded at check-in to Sky Executive room with welcome drink, breakfast at the 23rd (top) floor and free media package.

The room (other than being located on the higher floor) is the same layout and probably same size as the normal rooms.

I had a open face shrimp sandwich at the Heaven 23 resturant on, great meal and a great view. I also had a nightcap here around 11 o'clock, the place was very crowded.

Breakfast was very good and checkout a breeze. This is the best choice if you're working or visiting the exhibition hall. This, of course, makes it a bit on the expensive side.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Sören
Coatbridge
Reviewed 22 March 2010

With it being such a big hotel (over 700 rooms) you might expect that the customer service would suffer but it was excellent. Check in was quick and friendly. We booked via Thomas Cook for a standard room and paid £200 for three nights which is considerably cheaper than if booked through the hotel. Room was fairly large with a good view. Rooms have an iron and board, hairdryer, trouser press, kettle ect and there is free interenet (you have to pay for wifi).

Staff through out the hotel, bars and restaurants were all very friendly and helpful.

Situation is good for getting about. It is a 10 minute walk to the Avenue and there is a tram/bus stop directly across from the hotel. There area also has plenty of restaurants, bars, cafes and coffee shops.

Due to the Pound being so poor against the Kronor It is fairly expensive working out at roughly 10 sek to £1. This means that it is around an average of £5 for a 40cl of beer, £6.50 for a small glass of wine and £2.50 for a coffee.

I would return to Gothia Towers but only if I got a similair deal.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2010

The rooms could be larger, but other than that it's an outstanding place to stay. And the restaurant at the top, Heaven23, is amazing!

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Perfect hotel with many facilities. Totally recommended.

Stayed August 2008, travelled on business