“Surprisingly nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 25 Gothenburg B&B and Inns
Delft, The Netherlands
“Surprisingly nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Before staying at Le Mat B&B in Gothenborg at the beginning of September 2013, I had never stayed in any B&B during my business trips or trips for pleasure. I made the choice of this B&B because of its location (right in the city centre), in addition to being the cheapest hotel arranged by the conference organizer. I checked in at midnight. Thomas opened two rooms to let me make a choice. I was not prepared at all when I was asked to leave my e-mail address so that Le Mat B&B could contact me in case I would leave anything behind after check out. Then, Thomas showed me the dinning room and told me to take some fruits to my room. He brought a bottle of water to me, although tap water is drinkable in Sweden. I felt touched. (On the executive floor of 4 or 5 star hotels, a basket of fruits and two bottles of water are usually prepared for the new guest, but there is a lack of personal touch.)

King-size bed and linen were very comfortable. Spacious bathrooms and toilets were conveniently located on the other side of the corridor. Orange umbrellas (brand: Ikea) were placed at the entrance for guests to use. Breakfast was quite simple, but service was nice.

All in all, I was nicely surprised. I strongly recommend this B&B, considering its location and exceptional service.

Room Tip: double with a king-size bed
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

So starting out, this place seems a bit pricey, however Sweden (and Goteborg in particular) seemed to be quite expensive in general.

That aside, the place is great - really nice and comfy bed and linen, you even get a bath robe and slippers so you can throw it on to go to the bathrooms. The bathrooms are good, clean and large. There are few with just toilet and handbasin in case all the showers ones are in use, however we never had to wait. The breakfast was tasty and varied - a small note is that when we went at the start of the breakfast period (7am) they were only just putting the stuff out so if you are needing to get away early in the day it may pay to check the day before.

We arrived four hours before check in to drop our bags, but they had a room available so let us check in early!

Location wise it is great, close to the 'Avelyn' and can walk to the old area of town and the train station easily. You can access the building at any time of day with your swipe token thing.

Room Tip: Our room was on the road side, and there was just a little noise, but it had opening windows, sounds...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Windsor, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Considering this was Sweden, it was reasonably cheap and also reasonable value. It was basic but functional, modern and clean. The only big negative for me was that we were given a room on the right hand side of the corridor without a window. Since we arrived on a fine summer's evening (temp about 20C) it was very stuffy and warm in there. The receptionist provided us with a fan which we kept on all night, but it did detract from the enjoyment of our stay.
The bathrooms were shared, but were clean and you were provided with dressing gowns to get there modestly !
The breakfast was continental, with cereals, meats, cheeses and yoghurts. It was not exceptional, but acceptable.
The staff were very friendly and keen and helped out with finding places to eat and transport options etc.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 28/29 on the right hand side of the corridor as there are no windows.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

You sleep well in the wonderful big beds, in the morning you find a marvellous breakfast and very nice people, they help you to find everything you need, you come back "home" in the evening and if you feel alone there is always a nice person telling you some story! What do you want more? That's hospitality! I forgot, the prices are very good and I am really happy that they didn't ruin the rooms with horrible small bathrooms. The bathrooms are big and confortable and outside the room! I believe it's a good idea! And on your bed in your room you find a beautiful whote bathrobe! A SPECIAL PLACE!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Renate G
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

After staying at Le Mat for one night recently, I can easily list many positives. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. For example, upon arrival, they walked my husband and I around the B&B to make sure we knew where everything was. Our room was quite large, clean, and bright with a great view of a park across the street where there happened to be a soccer tournament taking place. Le Mat is located just off the main shopping street and within walking distance of numerous restaurants (I recommend choosing one in the Haga area). Also, the breakfast buffet was delicious and had a wide variety of options.
The one thing that I would say could have improved our stay would be black-out curtains. As I mentioned, our room was quite bright, and while lovely during the day, the thin curtains didn't do a great job of blocking out the Swedish night (where it stays light in the summer until quite late).
This being said, Le Mat is an excellent B&B, and if my husband and I ever travel back to Goteborg, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kathleen H
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

The comfiest bed I've slept in outside a four star, and staff who could not help enough. Made a short stay a holiday!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business