“Lovely hotel”
Review of Hotel Vanilla

Hotel Vanilla
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A reallly lovely hotel in an excellent location for access to all of Gothenburg. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The beds wonderfully comfortable. I wished I could bring the bed home with me. This was the best breakfast we had in all of our 10 days (5 hotels) in Sweden. The little cafe is also excellent, and as a hotel guest you get a good reduction if you eat there. The only possible issues are 1) if you cannot manage steep, slippery spiral stairs this would be an issue as there is no lift. Although the staff immediately helped my sister, who is not so fit, with her bags up the stairs. This is of course mentioned in the hotel information. 2) our room faced the narrow road the hotel fronts onto and the "view" was not exactly pleasant (rooftop of odd building opposite), this did not bother us as but some people find this important, the curtains were very thin and did not entirely cover the window so when it gets light, and because the sun is out for almost 24 hours, this could wake you if you are affected by light. Similarly, with the windows open as it was hot, the road noise in the morning did wake us up - not traffic as such but deliveries and bin lorries etc. The hotel asks for feedback and we mentioned the curtains so they may have changed them. It was only a small issue to us. Having said that this is a really lovely hotel, the best we stayed in in Sweden, with a really nice atmosphere. Gothenburg is also a delightful place with loads to see and do. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Make sure you visit Haga, the old town, and eat at En Deli Haga for an amazing mediterranean style lunch or snack at a reasonable price. http://www.goteborg.com/en/s/View/Eat-View-Cafes/En_Deli_Haga_566158.

Room Tip: ask not to face the road if you are a light sleeper affected by light and noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We very recently spent two nights at the Hotel Vanilla, and our overall experience was excellent. Had the 'snafu' not occurred, it would have been easy to give this hotel a 5 star rating. The location is excellent, and comfort and cleanliness are superior to most hotels in this category. However, all was not perfect, and based on prior reviews, that is what we were expecting.
Because we had an 10 AM flight out of Gothenburg on a very busy Sunday morning at the airport thanks to Gothia Cup 2014, we had arranged for a 7:30 AM taxi pickup. Breakfast on weekends does not begin until 8 AM so we asked twice about the possibility of an early opening of the cafe' or a bagged small breakfast to take with us. Our first inquiry was when we checked in on Friday and the second was on Saturday morning before we set out for the day. Both times we were assured that the matter would be dealt with, and that we would have something for breakfast one way or the other.
When Sunday morning arrived with no breakfast notification and no bagged meal in our room as promised, we were left hungry and above all wanting coffee. While we were waiting for our taxi, a young woman arrived to work in the cafe'. In fact, we opened the door for her so she could bring in her bicycle. She turned on lights in the cafe' and set to work, with the interior door to the cafe' opened. When my husband went to inquire if perhaps we could get a cup of coffee, she said "No, we are not open until 8." Clearly, she had not been informed about us at all.
Prior to this, we had left an evaluation at Reception along with our keys, and I had mentioned the lack of breakfast in that evaluation.
We can happily report that before we arrived home much, much later that evening, we had received an e-mail apology from the hotel. We were most appreciative of that recognition of our early morning dilemma.
This review is only being written to alert others to the need for VERY clear communication about breakfast if checkout is scheduled prior to weekend breakfast hours. Otherwise, we recommend the Hotel Vanilla without reservation. As mentioned before, the price is right, the location excellent, and the level of comfort superior to that of most 3 star hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bianca M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location - close to shops and sights but still quiet. Good breakfast. Nice courtyard to sit in. Helpful reception - nothing was too much for them. All in all - good value. Would definitely be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for three nights when visiting friends in Gothenburg. I have stayed in Gothenburg before and wanted somewhere less ‘clinical’ more ‘homely’, I found it.

It is central (15 minutes’ walk to anywhere in the city). Located I the older part of the city everything is on your door step (10 minutes’ walk from Central Train Station).

The rooms are simple and compact yet of high ‘Nordic Spec’ and Nordic style. The bathroom was large with top end amenities and spa products (take a moment to figures out that there is under floor heating and heated towel rail (that you need to switch on). As well as the shower which was great once I took the trouble to figure it out.

The staff over the three days we not consistent – however the service was – top notch and welcoming.

Breakfast in the café on the ground floor was again simple yet delightful and full range – included in the room it made the stay excellent value.

The Wi-Fi is free and was without a hitch.

The one thing that made my stay memorable was the bed and bedding. I spend my life in hotels and apartments – I am used to different beds and cope well with soft to hard. This bed was the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in. the quality of the linen – pillows and duvet meant that you were wrapped in a cocoon of comfy-ness. One morning having got up – I just had to go back to bed for an hour – priceless!

For the bed alone I will be coming back here.

Room Tip: Looking at the rooms - none seem to have a view worth much. There is no lift and my room was on the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2014

First, the hotel can be a little hard to find, especially when arriving by car, since Gothenburg has a lot of one way streets and generally is a confusing city to drive around. The hotel has a few parking spots on property, these can be reserved in advance. We had not, as we though it was first come, first served, but were lucky enough to get the one space that not not been reserved. The location is super central, and really one of the hotel´s best quality!

When entering the hotel you have to ring the door bell as the doors are closed at all times. After checking inn your room key will give you access to the front door.

Front desk staff was nice enough, but nothing more.

Rooms are of good size, very very clean (I lost my camera lid under the bed, and it was not as much as a hair to see), light scandinavian decor. The bathroom could use an upgrade, though.

The only thing we were not that satisfied with was the breakfast, served in the onsite cafe. The quality of the food was just not good enough. The juice for instance, was from concentrate mixed with luke warm tap water and supplied with some ice cubes. For years I have not experienced hotels not serving proper OJ and apple juice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A lovely small hotel in the center of town. We were able to walk and explore the city and come back to clean and comfortable rooms. Immaculate bathrooms. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The breakfasts in the cafe were generous with a wide array food that was freshly prepared and delicious. Only drawback was nighttime noise from the street in our room that was at the front of the hotel

Room Tip: Rooms at the back likely to be quieter
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I don't remember when was the last time I gave a 5* in a review.

Anyway, the biggest point is.
- charming
- comfortable
- clean
- quiet, yet right at the heart of town
- friendly staff
- delicious food at cafe and long opening hours + 25% discount for hotel guests
- amenities provided is high spa quality (I remember seeing it only at British Airways business class)
- Less than 5 mins walk to trams and airport bus
- in the neighbourhood where most of the best restaurants in Goteborg are
- Unbelievable price 1500 SEK for two nights--booked rather early.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo