“Worse than my college dorm room”
Review of Scandic Crown

Scandic Crown
Ranked #35 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Worse than my college dorm room”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I was in Gothenburg for 4 nights. Within 30 mins of being in my room, I booked a room at a different hotel down the street for nights 3 and 4.
The room's furniture and bathroom was worse than my college dorm room 20 years ago. Pretty much just a particle board (with white plastic topper) desk attached along the wall.
The bathroom is a little square with a see through plexiglass wall separating the toilet from the shower area. The shower is not enclosed so water goes all over the place and you have the pleasure of having to stand on wet floor once out of the shower while tending to any other bathroom needs.
The breakfast buffet was ok.

I'd stay here if I was on a tight personal budget, but if you're traveling on business and expensing the room, or don't mind spending a little more, do yourself a favor and skip this one.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank MikeWinAustin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I really liked the central restaurant area with the skylight over the center. This was a nice place to eat, but also to hang out with coffee - I ended up working here a few times as I liked the ambience better than my own room.

The room was nice with a comfortable extra lounge chair. The outdoorsy wallpaper was very nice and did a good job in lightening up the room.

I had a room directly across from the elevator, which did occasionally get a bit noisy.

My preferred Gothenburg hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here when I was in town for business and I was happily surprised. The room was big, nice and clean -nothing special but a good standard room. The staff everywhere at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The location is central but in a quiet corner so there was no noise at all during the night. My bed was also very comfortable. The breakfast is superb! Everything possible is organic and there is even several gluten free bread options. The little snacks at the front desk are also very tasty, nice and inexpensive (a variety of choises: fruits, cakes and coffee etc.) I usually have stayed in the other Scandic hotel since it closer to the place I go to Gotherburg for, but my experience was so nice that I am considering going back here when next time in the city. Too bad I was too busy to try the gym and the spa. Maybe next time.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Arrived late to a reserved 'superior room'. Registration was prompt and courteous, Internet is free and the elevators modern.
Entering the 'superior room' felt like I time-warped:
- Two single (very narrow) beds pushed next to each other to form a larger bed
- A Murphy bed in the closet, taking up all available closet space
- No real soaps in the bathroom - just large, industrial, containers of liquid soap and shampoos
The mattress was extra-lumpy and the bed kept sliding on the wood-veneer floor. The tiny blanket (one single-size blanket for each single bed) barely covered the bed.
In the morning, was pleasantly surprised by the large buffet of tasty food. True, the oatmeal and the eggs were cold, but this is a cold country. The selection of meats, cheeses and pastry was very good and the breads were wonderful.
Show up for breakfast if you can, but don't spend the night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you must, take something above a 'superior room' as the superior is...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels

Stockholm
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel is located near the central railwaystation in the city center. My room was of good size but not in good condition. The sofa was rather dirty and the TV was old fashioned. I found three ice machines in the hotel, not one of them worked. Breakfast was OK and included in the price.
As a Scandic 2nd floor member I am normally offered a free newspaper at check in. Not this time, and when I asked why, I was told that they only give papers to guests who are asking for it.

1 Thank EvaStockholm
stuttgart
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hotel is ok actually. My expectancy level was higher. Staff is friendly. Rooms are ok but little bit outdated. Sportsfacility is a broomcloset.Breakfast was ok. Everything is ok but nothing exceeds expectations. It is a hotel with ok price/quality but not a hotel where you go if you want to feel special.

Elisabeth T, Chef at Scandic Crown, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at Scandic Crown. I also would like to thank you for taking time to give feedback from your stay, it means a lot to us.

Most welcome back to us next time you visit the Westcoast of Sweden.

Best regards,
Elisabeth
Hotel Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Gothenburg is an expensive place, and this hotel was no exception. I expected so much more! This is not a great hotel for rest and business travel and I usually absolutely love Scandinavian hotels.

Check in was great, the attendant looked up my Scandic Friends info for me and said she applied the discounts. Nice! I get my room key, and am directed to the elevator nearest my room. The room key device does not work, I trek to the other elevators, the device there doesn't work. I go to the desk, and they explain how to use the key (I know how to use the key). They send me back to the elevator. The key still doesn't work. They accuse me of storing my key next to my phone...it never left my hand since check in...which now seems sooo long ago. They use their key to get me to my room.

I get to the room, unpack, and look for an ice bucket. Knobs are missing from the "minibar" cabinet. I jam my finger only to find there is no minibar, or ice bucket. I got to the front desk, they direct me to the bar. The bar attendant is missing. No one there for 20 min (and she saw me coming). Ice buckets are not available, since guests steal them. I get two cups with ice, when what I really need is a bucket with a liner to make an icepack. I go back to the front desk, and a new attendant is there. I ask for a bag...and in her best snobby voice I get a lecture (the one reserved for us wasteful Americans) explaining that they don't use plastic items in Scandinavia.

She says this over the two plastic cups I was given, while overlooking a cup of plastic pens. I remark in amazement, that they do a really good job of making non-plastic bags look like plastic. Particularly the ones in the waste cans in the rooms. All of a sudden there are plastic bags in Scandinavia and I am given one. I head back to my room, and can't get either set of elevators to work again.

The bed was not comfortable because the sheets kept coming up off the mattress. The room did get cool though.

There was a bright point. I went to the bar for dinner. It was very good...shrimp sandwich and mushroom soup. Lots of children running back and forth, so I was not able to get work done (internet in room did not work).

Breakfast was ok...I can't believe a place in Sweden does not serve salmon at breakfast. Cheap! And the number of fruit flies buzzing kept me away from many of the other items. I ended up grabbing breakfast in the train station instead.

At check out, I found my discount had not been added to my reservation.

I can see where this may be a great place for those with kids, but amenities for business travellers are lacking.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank alm5150
Elisabeth T, Chef at Scandic Crown, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time by giving us your feedback from your visit here at Scandic Crown.

I am truly sorry that we did not meet the level of standards when it comes to all points that you are mentioning in your feedback. This is not ok by all means.

Despite all the troubles you did exeperince I would like to welcome you back to Scandic Hotels. Once again, I am so sorry for all inconveince this must have caused you.

Best regards,