“Double turned into a single”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Nothing like spending $180.00 US for a hostel-like room that only has a single bed and a pull-out couch. The room was not entirely clean, a used wet towel left in the room, along with a dirty glass. Seems that we got bumped because of the handball tournament, although we had booked and payed for a double room 6 months prior to our trip. We still had to pay for an upgrade for the second night. That room was an improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Guy O
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.
I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as good as you had hoped it to be. I am especially sorry that your room was not clean. I will certainly pass this on to both our housekeeping department and our hotel manager.
I hope the rest of your summer is great and that you will return to Gothenburg again.

Malin W

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed at the Scandic Hotel Opalen for a weekend this July. The location is excellent with Liseberg, Ullevi and Avenyn within walking distance.
The room was quite small but nice and the bed was really comfortable, the only negative thing about the room was that the trash bin hadn't been cleaned for a while by the looks of it.
Breakfast was good with the standard offerings. All in all it was a very good stay and the staff was really friendly and service minded.
I forgot the charger to my iPad in the room when we checked out but two days later i received a package in the mail with the charger without even having to call the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Hello and thank you very much for your response and kind words. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so sorry about the bin, I will tell our housekeeping department to pay extra attention to the bins so they won't forget them.
I hope your summer is good and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Scandic Opalen is a great hotel located in Gothenberg Sweden. Traveled as Erick Matsanza. There is access to Road and Railway transport, I did the walking most of the time. From where I was staying there was a great view through the window, The staff friendly and helpful.

It was just wow! Need I say the ambiance, still memorable todate. Bicycles available to ride around the city, There is a cinema close if you are a movie lover. Great location, great treatment by the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful response. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it means a lot to all in the staff that you found them friendly and helpfull. I hope you will come back to Gothenburg and that you will come and see us again. Have a beautiful summer!

Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the scandic opalen whilst on a business trip, found the staff to be very friendly and polite. View from my room on the 12th floor was amazing . Wifi was a bit hit and miss in the reception area but fine in the room. Would definitely recommend if you are visiting Gothenburg.

• Stayed: April 2013
Malin W, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Hello and thank you for taking your time to write a review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your constructive criticism
regarding our wifi, we will do our best so it will work better in the lobbyarea in the future.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to us and our beautiful city soon. Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the Scandic Opalen for 6 nights. We were on the 8 floor. We had two double beds which were pretty comfortable. The room had hardwood floors. The room was pretty small but comfortable. The bathroom did not have a tub but the shower was nice and big. We stayed in late July which is one of their warmest months. The room did not have AC but did have an adjustment on the wall for air circulation. The room was not as cool as we would have liked it to be. We ended up buying a small table top fan which did the job. We had to put the fan together and needed a screw driver, which we didn't have, so I went down the the front desk and explained my situation so they sent up their maintenance man to put together the fan. Which I thought was very nice of them!
The breakfast they have is included in the price. IT IS AMAZING!! VERY GOOD! They even had the world famous Swedish pancakes, which were gone in a very short time.
The hotel is situated in a convenient location, close to restaurants,transportation and entertainment.
Scandic Opalen is a nice hotel with great customer service and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi, I just wanted to take some time to thank you for your review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us even though the rooms were a little bit on the
warm side. We will definently take this under deep consideration. It is nice to hear that you got to see Gothenburg under a sunny day, it's when it's the most beautiful but
unfotunately I have to say as a native we don't get to see it to often. There's a reason why Gothenburg is affectionately called "Little London". I hope you will have a reason
to come back and visit us and try our pancakes again. Enjoy you summer!

Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

The front desk does not provide adapters. The adapters are at SEK59 a piece. Very strange, first time experience for me. Even hostels lend adapters, but not at this hotel. **this is why I rate their value 2

Comfy bed, not too soft / hard. Soooo quiet, sleep like crazy.

A neat 'spa' is available downstairs. Even has a sunbed. Jacuzzi, sauna and a small gym.

Lovely buffet breakfast. Lots of Swedish 'biscuits', tons of tea to choose from, modest cold cut selection. Pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Room was good size, clean and reasonably priced, breakfast was fine with a varied choice. There is a tram stop outside the hotel but the walk to the centre is only 10-15 minutes.The hotel is close to Liseberg Amusement Park, Ullevis Stadium & Universeum. Ideal base for a stay in Gothenberg.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends