“Decent hotel, good location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #42 of 68 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orange, California
“Decent hotel, good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location with plenty around. Lots of things to do, restaurants and shops near by. Their breakfast was decent but was a complete mad house on the weekends. And I did have one hotel worker trying to clean an area during breakfast physically pull me backwards and then push me out of her way. Just caught me a little off guard. Rooms are nice however kind of awkward floor plans. Air conditioner never did anything no matter you did with it. All in all it was a fine hotel, no big problems.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you had a good time in our beautiful city. I am very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience in our breakfast. I am definently going to let the breafast manager know about this so they know what to work on.

I hope to see you again and wish you a great week.

Malin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I could not have asked for better service, this was a perfect stay.
• Early morning calls from a real person, not a machine
• Special dietary needs for breakfast (I am diabetic) provided with a smile and after the first morning without me having to ask
• Cheese plate for the evening meal rather than a sweet dessert although it’s not on the menu (see above)
• Concert ticket organised and paid for
A great experience – thank you
Nigel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear Nigel,

Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful review I am so happy and overwhelmed you have truly made not only my day but my year, or even our year.
I hope to see you soon!

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel one weekend. The standard room was quite small with two beds (140 cm) together. The carpet in the hallway was filthy and has probably not been changed since this hotel was built some 30 years ago. The first room I got had a TV with no sound, when I called the reception about this I got a feeling that they knew about this problem. However I got another room on the same floor. The location is OK with walking distance to Liseberg, Universeum and Allen the main street of Gothenburg. The breakfast was standard Scandic breakfast with pancakes and meetballs they buy as a finished product and heat up before serving.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us.
I am very sorry that we couldn't live up to the expectations you had. Thank you also for your constructiv criticism, it is very important for us to get feedback so we know what we have to work on. I hope that you will come back and give Gothenburg a second chance.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Malin W

Travellers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels

Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel was well located for seeing the central parts of Gothenburg, Liseberg, Universeum, Avenyn by taking public transports or a longer walk. We had a good view of Ullevi that is close by. The economy room was small for two people but enough for a few nights. Breakfast was good and we might stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors is newer and larger. Economy rooms is older and not located higher than f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you had a nice stay. I do hope that you will come back to Gothenburg and visit us again.
Have a wonderful week!

Waldorf, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed in one of the smallest (Economy) rooms. For one person, it was absolutely plenty of room. For 2, it wouldn't work. (Only a twin bed.) location was good, easy walking distance to everything. Good food in the area (Jameson's Pub has great food and lots of beer to choose from! Swedish and otherwise.) breakfast is good, but be us to double check the hours for weekday vs weekend. They did not have Swedish pancakes either day, which made me very sad. But lots of fruit, yummy pastries, great coffee and all the other "usually" as well as traditional Scandinavian breakfast food. Easy to get from the airport - take the Flygbus to Korsvqgen and you have only about a 10 minute walk to the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest relation at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hello,
I would like to first of all thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words and hints about where to go eat in our neighbourhood. I am glad you liked our breakfast eventhough it was without pancakes this time.
Please don't be a stranger when and if you come back to us.
Have a great week!

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I loved this hotel. I had a single room, that was quite spacious. The location was great to get to Ullevi for a concert. It is close the public transport and in walking distance to Avenyn (shop, restaurants). The room was clean and very nice. Breakfast was good and overall I really enjoyed to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hi, thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. It means a lot! I am so very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time in Gothenburg. I hope you will come back to Gotheburg and visit us again, please don't be a stranger if you do return.
Have a great week!

Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had a really nice stay at Opalen with my family, two nights in august. Well located, easy access to parking, Liseberg, Universeum, avenyn and other sites. The room was not perfectly cleaned, dust under the bed, on the vent in the bathroom etc.

I like the breakfast at Scandic- generally, but the scrambled eggs, seriously, is it really made from eggs? I was not super impressed by the childrens breakfast either. But overall, really good. We did not have dinner at the restaurant, but it looked really nice, and with a meny I liked!

We had a room at the top floor, a superior plus room, well worth the money. By the looks of it, the rooms on the "old floors" are not that great.

Would recomend it to others going to Gothenburg!

Room Tip: Really, go for the top floors, or not at all! We had 1326, top floor. Really perfect!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for taking your time to write a response about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that the breakfast wasn't as good as you would have hoped it to be. I will let the breakfast staff know about your comments.

I am glad to hear that you were happy about your room and that you enjoyed your stay in Gothenburg. Have a wonderful week and enjoy the last days of summer!