“One of my best hotel experiences”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halmstad, Sweden
“One of my best hotel experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have spent many nights in hundreds of hotels all around the world. Me and my husband recently came back from a long trip to NYC, LA and Maui. So we were not keen on travelling again and booked Opalen because of the location. I became a member and received 500 SEK rebate for two nights. I also have learned not to book the smallest and the cheapest rooms. Those rooms are soooo small. So we booked the 20m2 room and payed only 1000 SEK a night (weekend). It is a good price in central Gothenburg. And it included the breakfast! The biggest breakfast ever. Our room was on the 13th floor with a amazing view over Gothenburg. And the staff is great. We definitely come back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible for the views. The hotel has 13 floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us at Scandic Opalen. I am extremely happy that you had a nice stay with us and that you got to stay in a room you liked as well. It's important that you are not afraid of heights when staying as high up as you did.
I don't know what else to say except thank you, thank you and thank you again for your nice words. I relly do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
I hope to see you soon and please don't be a stranger.

Malin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Arrived at 5:30, less than 1 minute wait to check-in. Stayed in a room in the newer, built-on the floors at the top. Stunning views!
The room was really good, close to a new feeling (except for a few spots on one of armchairs). Well cleaned (but not perfect).

It was a little tricky to watch television, because the same remote worked for both TVs. When you press a button, often both TVs respond...)

Pleasant relax with a sauna and a small gym.

Breakfast was really good with plenty to choose from. (A bit of diluted juice though.)

I will definitely consider staying at this hotel the next time I visit Gothenburg.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to write about your stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed wour stay with us and that you even would like to come back to us. It's always nice to get a feeling that we are doing it right and that our guests are happy with us. Interersting point regarding your remote it is suppose to be two different so that this is not gonna happend but I suppose nobody or nothing is perfect.
I sure hope to see you again.
Have a good day!

Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Nice Modern Hotel near the city center. I was in an upgraded superior corner room on the top floor with a magnificent view of the city. The Front Desk staff was very friendly and accommodating with any of my requests. Hot and cold international breakfast was served in the morning with plenty of options to choose. Very close to the Tram station which is a close ride to the city center if you don't want to walk. Several restaurants and a couple of grocery stores nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Hello,
I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to write about your stay. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and that you were treated well by the staff at the front desk. We all do really enjoy helping our guests especially if they have a tricky job or question for us. I hope that you will come back and visit our hotel and our beautiful city again.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

The place is very nice, 10 min walk to the city center. It is a very big corner building. Rooms are a bit small and bathroom is a bit old fashioned. The hotel has a gym, pool with massaging water jets and sauna, very nice to get relaxed. The staff is very nice and helpful. Breakfast is amazing and very international! The restaurant is nice and a bit chic I'd say. It is very well furnished and it has many sofas where you can have a drink with friends looking out to the street. The hotel has a playing space for children, very nice for families.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Myself and the rest of our staff would like to thank you for your kind words about us. We try to do our best and achieve axcellence. I do hope that you will come back and stay with us the next time you visit our beautiful city. At least come by and say hello, don't be a stranger.
Have a wonderful week!

South Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Rooms are extremely small and quite basic - ended up paying extra for an upgrade due to being unhappy with what we were first given.

Food wasn't served late in the "bar" area even though it was a weekend, so that was disappointing. We had been out to a concert and were hungry afterwards. They also didn't open the "flow through area" to allow for the influx of patrons to the bar this particular night.

Location is OK, probably could chose better, but was perfect for going to the Scandinavium.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. Criticism bot positive and concstructiv is crucial for us. I am sorry to hear that wo could not live up to the expectations you had on your stay this time. However I am happy to hear that you could find some golden moments and things you enjoyed here. I do hope that you will come to Gothenburg again and if you do please come by and say hello.
I wish you a wonderful 2014.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a typical Scandic hotel - not too good or too bad. Just like the Swedish expression "lagom". My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in November 2013 in a spacious Superior Extra room (were upgraded - thank you very much) on the 12th floor with stunning views of parts of the city. The hotel location is OK - not the very best but in a fairly quiet location. 600 meters to nearest airport shuttle, 100 meters to tram stop. The breakfast is typical "Scandinavian", with everything from fresh fruit to scrambled eggs and herring (no fresh croissants, though).

Room Tip: Choose Superior rooms if you want more space.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not more then ok, we do strive for excellence but sometimes it's a hit and miss even for us. I do hope that you had some golden moments during your stay and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Linkoping, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

When we came, the room was not ready. OK that can happen, we were a bit early, so that was really not a problem. The receptionist said we could come back in an hour, and it would be ready. We left our luggage, went out for some sightseeing, came back after three hours, the room was not ready yet. We waited for another ten minutes before it was done. We were three in the room, there were only one towel and one bathrobe. There was no phone number to the reception in the room, so I had to google the hotel and call in from my cell phone and ask for more towels and bathrobes. They fixed it immediately.

The spa area was a jacuzzi only. There was no possibility to lock the lockers (you had to have money with you, which I did not). Anyway, the stuff was still there when I was back.

The beds in the hotel were one of the better I had slept in. Very good.

The room was clean, but there were stains on the furniture. Not that it was badly cleaned, just stains that were not possible to remove. It still gives the room a more shaggy look. This should be easy to fix.

Room Tip: The panorama rooms at the top are really nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us here at Scandic Opalen. I am very sorry to hear that you had to wait for so long before receiving your room and of course there should be enough towels and robes for all people that are staying in the room. I am very sorry that we couldn't live up to the expectations you had but I am very happy to hear that you slept well.
I hope that you will come back to Gothenburg and we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Have a wonderful week!