“Average hotel: Some goods and some bads”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“Average hotel: Some goods and some bads”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Good:
- Excellent location for a family holiday with visits to main attractions such as Liseberg and Universeum (10min walk to both), also a short walk to the more central parts of Gothenburg.
- Smooth check-in and check-out and we got a room right away even though we were very early.
- Surprisingly spacious clean room with comfortable bed
- Great breakfast buffet with most things you could wish for.
- Easy access to free and speedy WiFi

The Bad:
- A gap around the door made the room very noisy...made worse by the fact that we were right next to the elevators and ice machine. Also, the shower drain in the bathroom made a lot of noise seemingly when people above used bathroom or their shower.
- Horrible dinner at the hotel. Been a long time since we've had such dry, overcooked, and tasteless meal. Paid full-price even though one steak was inedible.
- Boring view from the room
- Advertised children's playroom was a corner under the stairs with some worn toys

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank stickan84
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by tahnking you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. It seems like you have had some mixed feelings about your stay. I am very happy about the positive things you had to say about your stay with us. Regarding the more negative points I am going to forward them to the relevant department. If you are ever passing through Gothenburg again please don't hesitate to come by and have chat with us.
Have a nice day!

Malin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

As always great room, good breakfast, helpful staff... So a good place to stay overall

But why is the Wifi connection always so bad and 3G is non existent

But love the sms checkout system that Scandic hotels offer, quick

Please fix it

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us and that you find the online checkout service to be a success. Regarding the wifi I am happy to tell you that the wifi has been upgrades and is now faster and has more hot sports.
I hope to see you again soon.
Have a nice day!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have visited this hotel twice, in business, the second time on a conference. It’s actually quite an ordinary hotel, centrally located on Gothenburg. The rooms are OK, the breakfast is OK, the lunch is OK, the location is OK (quite good if travelling with children, not far from Liseberg and Universeum) and the service is OK. The parking is a bit expensive, especially if you have to park in the garage. What really impressed me was the pause buffet for the conference guests, with plenty of cakes, fruit, desserts and even some tapas. I have never seen anything like it at other conference hotels, so it was a great surprise. I did like the size of the double rooms (in the back), but the single rooms are a bit small.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your timw to write a review about your stay with us. It pleases me to hear that you enjoyed your day at our conference center and that you got a lot of goodies to eat. I am however sorry to hear that we did not exceed the expactations you had regarding to hotel side of the business. We will certainly take action and try to do better next time.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you again.
Have a wonderful day!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

There is not that much to say about those Scandic hotels. Generally they do the job. But you never seem to remember anything about after you have left. Opalen is no exception. Service is good. Breakfast too. Location is good if you are going to visit the exhibition area for example.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm sorry that you feel that we exceed the expectations that you had regarding your stay with us. The concept of Scandic is that you should always feel at home and beable to find your way wherever and whenever you stay at a Scandic Hotel. I can understand how this can make it seem that nothing really sticks out in a positive way. I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you again and maybe also have a chance to change your mind.
I hope you have a wonderful day!

Moss, Norway
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed in a Superior room. This room has a great view of the City. The location is good. The tram goes just outside the hotel, but we chose to walk. Just 10-15 minutes to the centre with shops etc.

Room Tip: If you upgrade to a superior room you get a great view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bjørnar H
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello,

Tank you very much for taking your time to write a review about us here on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and got a beautiful room on an upper floor. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
Have a wonderful day and please don't be a stranger!

Kolding, Denmark
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night and had a room on the 12th floor. The room was clean an quiet. The staff was polite and very helpful. They have a parking garage which is easy accessable. All in all a good hotel. Next time I return to Gothenburg U would stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write about your stay with us. It makes me and my collegues very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you would like to come back.
Please don't be a stranger, hope to see you soon!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I could easily say that this is the place to be at in gothenburg.
Never fails to hit target for me. I have many guests who visit gothenburg on business trips and this scandic is the only place I book for them. Great staff, Friendly faces all the time, A nice a decent bar, good service, clean, and everything you need to rest your head with comfort.
They have a little gym which is great for people who only stay a day or two.
I will continue to book scandic opalen for sure !!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review about us here on TripAdvisor. I do not know what to say except for thank you so very much for your kind words and excellent word of mouth reputation you are giving is. You have truly made our day so much brighter and nicer even though the rain is pouring down outside. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon, please donät be a stranger.
Have a wonderful day!