“overpriced for quality”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days and had a room on the upper floors.
The view is nice but you cannot open any window. There is no possiblity to get any fresh air into the room as there exists no air-conditioning only a central "ventilation system" . We received a fan from the front desk but the room nevertheless got very sticky.
We could only sleep until 5.30 am because the hotel guests staying in the room above us were getting up and you hear every single step because of the wooden floor.
I would not choose this hotel again for this price!!!

Room Tip: choose a room in which you can open a window as there is no air conditioning!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we could not live up to the expectations you had regarding your stay. I understand that it would be nice to open a window and we do need to have a look at what we can do instead to make things better for our guests. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
I wish you a wonderful summer!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for one night during the Gothenburg Basketball tournament which happened to be the same weekend as the Sunburst DJ festival so the hotel was full of kids, their parents and young adults. I hadn't booked a room as I was initially going to stay with my son at one of the school residences, however, at the last minute I decided to book this hotel. The check in was smooth, the room was "normal" nice which to e means clean and spacious. The service staff were friendly and the price was reasonable. Nothing fancy about this hotel but a good place for the money. I did eat at the restaurant and had a tasty hamburger that they served. The wait staff there were very attentive and friendly. The breakfast buffet (although crowded) was kept fully stocked and the food was fresh and good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. It pleases me to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the food.
I do hope that ewill have the pleasure of welcoming you again, don't be a stranger.
Have a wionderful summer!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Plus: Breakfast. The view.

Minus: I lived in Göteborg for 7 years and I never imagined this modern-appearance hotel is such a disappointment. As soon as the elevator door opened at our floor it immediately felt 1990. Old blue carpet with stains, matched very well with pink-striped wall. The room was very small on top with very bad space arrangement. The bathroom door opened towards the desk area and blocked the seat. Tiles in the bathroom were damaged. This hotel can be okay if the room rate was not 1000 sek. I think I have seen much better Scandic than this one.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie L
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and view when staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointment about other parts of the hotel. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again and thus maybe giving us a chance to change your mind about us. Don't be a stranger. Have a nice day!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are visiting Gothenburg attractions (amusement park Liseberg, Svenska mässan or Scandinavium) this is a mid priced hotel that will offer good acomodations during your stay. Nothing to fancy but most of what an ordinary person will ask for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you found your stay with us satisfying. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again and that you will find it four star next time.
Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Good:
- Excellent location for a family holiday with visits to main attractions such as Liseberg and Universeum (10min walk to both), also a short walk to the more central parts of Gothenburg.
- Smooth check-in and check-out and we got a room right away even though we were very early.
- Surprisingly spacious clean room with comfortable bed
- Great breakfast buffet with most things you could wish for.
- Easy access to free and speedy WiFi

The Bad:
- A gap around the door made the room very noisy...made worse by the fact that we were right next to the elevators and ice machine. Also, the shower drain in the bathroom made a lot of noise seemingly when people above used bathroom or their shower.
- Horrible dinner at the hotel. Been a long time since we've had such dry, overcooked, and tasteless meal. Paid full-price even though one steak was inedible.
- Boring view from the room
- Advertised children's playroom was a corner under the stairs with some worn toys

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stickan84
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello,

I would like to start by tahnking you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. It seems like you have had some mixed feelings about your stay. I am very happy about the positive things you had to say about your stay with us. Regarding the more negative points I am going to forward them to the relevant department. If you are ever passing through Gothenburg again please don't hesitate to come by and have chat with us.
Have a nice day!

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

As always great room, good breakfast, helpful staff... So a good place to stay overall

But why is the Wifi connection always so bad and 3G is non existent

But love the sms checkout system that Scandic hotels offer, quick

Please fix it

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us and that you find the online checkout service to be a success. Regarding the wifi I am happy to tell you that the wifi has been upgrades and is now faster and has more hot sports.
I hope to see you again soon.
Have a nice day!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have visited this hotel twice, in business, the second time on a conference. It’s actually quite an ordinary hotel, centrally located on Gothenburg. The rooms are OK, the breakfast is OK, the lunch is OK, the location is OK (quite good if travelling with children, not far from Liseberg and Universeum) and the service is OK. The parking is a bit expensive, especially if you have to park in the garage. What really impressed me was the pause buffet for the conference guests, with plenty of cakes, fruit, desserts and even some tapas. I have never seen anything like it at other conference hotels, so it was a great surprise. I did like the size of the double rooms (in the back), but the single rooms are a bit small.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hello,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking your timw to write a review about your stay with us. It pleases me to hear that you enjoyed your day at our conference center and that you got a lot of goodies to eat. I am however sorry to hear that we did not exceed the expactations you had regarding to hotel side of the business. We will certainly take action and try to do better next time.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you again.
Have a wonderful day!