This is a good hotel if you're ok about not being smack in the centre of the city. Once you understand the bus system then it's fine.
It's not the best setting, you overlook an out of town shopping centre - and below is a all-night petrol station. But the rooms are ok, the bathrooms are nice and it's clean. The best thing about it is the fantastic breakfast buffet - and take good advantage of it too! When you see the prices you have to pay for everything then you'll understand why. We probably ate far too much for breakfast but found it could last us through to evening, with possibly a snack midday.
Once you arrive at the airport - Landvetter in our case, you need to get the Airport bus. You can't pay by cash on there. You need to get a ticket or pay by credit card with the driver. It's 80 SEK single into the city and you'll get off at the end of the line at Central Station. You then need to cross the road - you'll see a big 5 on the side of a shopping centre - walk through and when you see an Information Desk - walk forward and buy a bus ticket from the Pressbryn (I think that's how you spell it) it's a newsagents. Then go back to the Information Desk and turn left to the outside. You will see two bus stops with shelters - then go further down and you'll see two benches - this is where you'll wait to get the Gron Express - this is the bus you'll need to get to the stop for the hotel - you need Backadalsmotet. It's out of town - but when you sort this out you'll be able to get around. It took us a while as the hotel website says the bus goes from Central Stations - it doesn't!!!!
The hotel itself is clean, the staff seem quite pleasant and it's quite modern. The corridors have seen some wear but I think it was well worth what we paid.
Gothenburg itself was a nice city, very clean and the people very helpful and chatty.
We managed to find the only pub in Gothenburg - next to the big market hall. 7 ans I think it was called. It's not the best place if you're a veggie - although there are a couple of good places in Haga if you're down at that end of the city.
I'd recommend this place - certainly if you've got a car, but for me I'd want to be in the centre if I went back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seven-story Hotel on the island of Hisingen, 5 km north of town center via Highway E6. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Scandic Hotels, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Scandic Backadal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Scandic Backadal Gothenburg
- Scandic Backadal Hotel Gothenburg