“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Wingham, Australia
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Convenient location. Lovely large room - well appointed. Friendly staff, good breakfast and delicious complimentary cake and coffee available in guest lounge. An excellent, stylish, boutique hotel - recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is an older hotel but well maintained and charming. The rooms were updated, and were larger than I expected. The staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly. I felt like the service was more personal and friendly than hotel chains I've stayed at in Norway and Sweden. They even offered umbrellas to borrow because of the rain.The price was reasonable. The breakfast buffet offered a large variety of food. The hotel is just minutes from the train station, and near one of the main streets where there are lots of shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington, Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 30 June 2013

An excellent hotel. Unique styling, superb and friendly staff, excellent breakfast, and delicious home-made cake and coffee for 'Fika' (Swedish coffee, cake and sociability...) at any time! It's four stars, but unique - family-owned and not at all like the run of the mill chains.

Room Tip: Can be a little noisy on the street side, although it's a quiet street.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The reception staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly and very apologetic about the bad weather! My room was a single, it wasn't a huge room but it was comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathroom was clean and the shower was great. Breakfast was very nice with lots of choices and in a comfortable dining area. I loved the cake and hot drinks in the afternoon, much appreciated on cold rainy days. The location of the hotel was perfect, a short easy walk to the train station and shops. I really enjoyed my stay in this friendly hotel and city and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Let me start with the positive aspects: the helpful and friendly staff and the excellent central location.
The not so nice: impossibly small rooms ( the smallest I've ever come across and I'm a seasoned traveler). I had absolutely nowhere to open my suitcase on except on the bed: if I left it on the floor I would keep tripping on it, so ridiculously tiny was the room. The bathroom is even worse: no shelving whatsoever, no space to put your stuff and of course no amenities: just a small bar of soap and one small bottle of shampoo. I wouldn't complain if I was in a youth hostel but this is a room that cost me 1495 SEK , 165 euros!!!!!!!!. Not even in Paris would they dare pull that stunt on you, this is a blatant rip off! When I complained they told me I have booked a superior room and that was its price: boy am I lucky I didn't book a standard then, surely they would have pulled out a collapsible bed and shoved me in a closet under the stairs!

Room Tip: Ask exactly what type of room they give you and check to see this is really what you are getting.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LisaK_511
London
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel was not our usual type (our usual preference is for modern, boutique-style properties) but we chose this on the basis of other reviews, price and location. We were not disappointed. In fact I probably drove my partner mad constantly saying how great it was. Our first impression was disappointment as the hotel doesn't look great from the outside (apart from the entrance way) but don't let first impressions put you off. This is a very old hotel and the owners have done such a great job of keeping the decor and style of all the common areas in keeping with the age of the property whilst making it totally contemporary at the same time. It even has ipads (as well as a computer) for guest use! The two lounges and the small outdoor terrace are charming and comfortable. Our room was a superior which was sufficiently spacious although the bathroom was a little small. To re-iterate all that has been said before - free tea/coffee/cake is a lovely touch and staff are exceptional. The breakfast was the best we had in Sweden - great choice, constant replenishment, staff constantly on hand to keep the breakfast area clean and tidy. I'm very surprised that one contributor had such a poor breakfast experience. The breakfast room was lovely (although unfortunately looks out on building works at the moment - not the hotel's fault obviously). It is obvious the owners of this hotel are trying to give guests a unique and special stay and they are succeeding. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Because of the current building works outside of the hotel ask for a room facing the internal courty...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I just loved this hotel. The man behind the desk who has worked there for many years made me feel special and a valuable guest. Here was I in a compact single room for one night. The hotel was fully booked for the night and it would have been so easy for him to write me off as low value but he didn't. The other staff were equally helpful.
Great location for train travellers.
The room was small but, quiet, very comfortable and had everything required. Placement of furnishings meant it did not feel cramped. Good wifi. Good breakfast. The afternoon tea provided was a nice touch. Even a singing wake up call. I won't be back, however, I wish I had found many more hotels like this on my lengthy trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo