“Well located close to many attractions”

Hotel Royal Gothenburg
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Besides the excellent location, the rooms are comfortable and the linens are clean. The breakfast is very good. The people at the reception is friendly. There a parking lot nearby, but it's very pricey. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Gothenburg

Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and i were visiting Sweden and we both wanted to stay at a hotel that was less commercial and more soulful and "scandinavian". Hotel Royal proved to be that place.

The minute you walk into this place, you will feel at home. The place is tastefully decorated, warm and inviting. The rooms are pleasant with light colors and elegant furniture.

The breakfast area is funky and modern. The afternoon coffee and cake so pleasant.

Staff were helpful and friendly too.

I will definitely stay here again..!

Room Tip: Choose the bigger rooms as the regular rooms can be really small
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location and does have a lot of "charm" on the inside. That being said, we didn't feel that it lived up to its hype on tripadvisor. While it was clean and neat, we felt the bathrooms could definitely use a makeover. Also, I wish there was a restaurant on site for lunch/dinner. The breakfast buffet, however, was nice.

Wifi coverage was great and we appreciated being able to use more than one device at a time on the wifi network. The staff was very friendly as well. All in all, it was a "nice" hotel but for such high reviews and rankings on tripadvisor, we were expecting more.

1  Thank Jody1009
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We very much enjoyed our 3 nights here. The front entrance from the street does not look so exciting, but character of hotel appears as you walk through the doors, as its the oldest hotel in Gothenburg. The reception staff were very friendly. We booked a superior double and had very pleasant room on 4th floor. The breakfasts were tasty, and they also provide free coffee/tea in main foyer with afternoon cake that was very tasty, and iced cucumber water. The staff gave good tips for local restaurants. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: The superior doubles were great. However, if you come alone and want a cheaper option, the singles r...
1  Thank Louise B
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I liked, small boutique style hotel. Good service with good location. Room was nice and clean. Perfect breakfast. Only minus is for water pressure. I did have to wait for while before shower works. I will go again to this hotel.

1  Thank Kaakko
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Very friendly hotel staff and nice breakfast buffet! The ambiance of the hotel is just amazing! You can tell the decoration and interior has history but at the same time, it is fresh and very clean. It is not a usual generic big chain hotel but it is absolute up to the standard. If you come in the summer, there is a patio where you can sit and bath in the sun with a cup of coffee. Small room but has everything you need. Great location in the midst of Nordstan, where there is many good restaurants, cafes and shops. Super close to public transportation. It is a little bit hard to find parking here but there is a P/Huset in front of the hotel. Parts of it was under renovation while I visited so it was not a good parking facility. Over all, an amazing stay and I will definitely come here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kat C
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I will admit that I booked our recent stay at the Hotel Royal based in large part on the fact that it was so highly rated on this site. That, and I love staying at non-chain hotels while on vacation. This hotel did not disappoint, to say the least.

It may be hard to tell from the outside, but the minute you walk in the front doors of this hotel, you can tell that it is something special. The lobby is uniquely shaped and the main stairs practically gush historical. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly; they even walked us to the elevator and held the elevator door for us while we lugged our suitcases onto it. That alone says something: I feel like most hotel staff will just vacantly point you in the right direction of the elevator, then leave you to fend for yourself.

The room was beautiful and had a strong antique charm to it, the only thing that added a modern touch was the TV. We had rented a Superior Double, which I would highly recommend for the few extra kroner it costs because the room was one of the largest we've had in Europe and featured three large windows overlooking the streets. Breakfast was included in the room rate as well.

Overall, I had no complaints about this hotel whatsoever, they satisfied my every need and the location was in a very easy walking distance of the central station, yet far enough away to not feel dangerous at night. It is also a very close walk to "The Avenue" or the main shopping and dining street there.

I would highly recommend staying here and would happily book here again myself if my travels take me back through Gothenburg.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple