“charming and comfortable, a lovely hotel”

Hotel Royal Gothenburg
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Hotel Royal is about as central as you can get in Gothenburg, it is also very friendly and full of charm. It is family run and you can really tell, not as modern as most chain hotels, and the beds are not as comfortable as some, but it makes up for any short comings by being a genuinely nice place to be, I would definitely stay here again when visiting Gothenburg.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Royal in Gothenburg for a week in August (2010) for a conference and with my son. It was an excellent stay and I highly recommend to anyone. The hotel is beautiful-the oldest in Goteburg. I really cannot say enough nice things about the staff. Each and everyone was beyond friendly. They were helpful in a hundred ways, and always eager to please. The breakfast was excellent each morning...fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese, and traditional swedish fare. The location is ideal...very close to the train station and to all the main central city sites. The park running along the canal is a lovely spot for relaxing as well. Our room was a little small, but my son and I had no problem with it. Very clean, nice bathroom and shower, a work desk, and plenty of closet space. He and I took a sojourn to Stockholm (which of course is also lovely) but were so happy to return to our comfortable and friendly Hotel Royal. The internet access was very fast and free; there is a nice garden patio out back to relax (and smoke), and a quiet library/lounge area.

I haven't stayed anywhere else in Goteburg, but probably wouldn't now and feel terribly lucky to have selected Hotel Royal for this trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2010

It's been a while since our stay, but haven't gotten to write a review yet. This is by far one of the coziest hotels I have ever stayed in stayed in. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the reseptionist. He showed us around the hotel and told us everything we needed to know on our little "tour." He even asked us if we were smoking so that he could show us the charming backyard decorated for christmas and where we could find blankets to take outside with us. The entire hotel was by the way decorated so nicely for christmas with candlelights and an incredible smell of christmas! Got the holiday spirit right away!
Our room was HUGE! We had booked a superiour room, and was pleasantly surprised by the size and the decor. The room was almost too big! The bathroom was delicate and very clean. So was the rest of the hotel and the room.
The staff was amazing, helping out with everything we needed.
Breakfast was really good and there were plenty of space in the breakfast area. The last day we were even invited to "St. Lucia" celebration (a scandinavian tradition) in the breakfastroom were we listned to the choire sing and were served sweet buns.
Location is superb! You can't come any closer to main attractions, but since hotel is situated in a quiet street noice is not at all an issue!
This is my one and only hotel choice in Gothenburg, and if you are looking for personal service and an intimate amtosphere this is the place for you too!
Will be back in desember!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed for almost a week at the Hotel Royal. The staff are unfailingly cheerful and helpful. The hotel has, as free extras, wifi (also cable tv) and, in the afternoon, endlessly replenished delicious homemade cake. And the hotel is located within walking distance of most attractions. I gave the room (as distinct from the hotel as a whole) a three star rating rather than a higher one because my room was very small and lacked a fridge; I think the other rooms also lack a fridge. But, really, this hardly mattered. I was not in my room much of the time and was eating out frequently. My room overlooked a courtyard which was quiet; some of the other rooms overlook a street and I am not sure, accordingly, how quiet those rooms are. But my experience of Hotel Royal was first rate overall and, as a seasoned traveller, I recommend it enthusiastically.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed 2 families here. We can not complain for anything, just friendly and splended in all matters.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Excellent service both before and during our stay. Had a few questions in advance and my e-mail was answered right away. We arrived earlier than we had thought but our rooms were ready - what a relief and again a sign of true service spirited hotel! The beds were super, the room was quiet even though it was on the street side of the hotel. Everything was perfectly clean. All staff was very professional- to a point that we did't use the Göteborg tourist info at all - instead asked from the reception. If I am really pushing it I can think just one thing that needs improving- and this is just a question of personal taste ( or some serious nitpicking from my part ;.) There was no black tea for breakfast- which was fabulous in all other respects. There was a wide selection of seasoned teas but no plain simple black breakfast tea at all. Other than that I couldn't not hope for more from a hotel. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My wife and I travelled to Gothenburg for a short break and stayed in the Royal Hotel for four nights. The hotel has a very central location for all shopping, entertainment and bars. Our room was located on the first floor and was decorated in a stylish and classical manner. The room was very comfortable, clean and warm with little noise.

It makes such a change to stay in a family owned hotel which has its own individual character, a much more enjoyable experience than staying in a sterile chain owned hotel. I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and North America and I can honestly say that, I have rarely meet such friendly and helpful staff from the reception staff to the housemaid. A special mention of John - Erik and Tina at reception for whom nothing was too much trouble, giving assistance and advice freely but always with a smile.

Gothenburg is a lovely compact, safe and clean city, with very friendly people. I am already looking forward to my next trip to this gem of a city.

Mr Stevens - Prestwick Scotland