“Charmingly functional hotel in excellent location”

Hotel Royal Gothenburg
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 11 September 2010

The hotel is perfectly located on the edge of the center of the old city within easy walking distance of shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. It is also just two blocks from the central station, tram lines, and airport bus stops. The hotel is oddly old-fashioned. It is the only modern city-center hotel I have ever stayed in where you leave your room key with the desk clerk, like in old movies.

Note that the rooms are not air conditioned.

Note also that the "single" rooms are truly tiny, with barely space to turn around, and that they allot you only *1* towel (and don't necessarily have extras available on request).

The staff were pleasant and of course available 24 hours a day to let you have your key so you can get into your room. The hotel is strangely both charming and functional at the same time, and the location really is perfect. No problems, but certainly not luxury.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Gothenburg

Reviewed 11 September 2010

This hotel is absolutely lovely. Well situated only 2 blocks from Train Station, in a perfectly situated corner in a quiet area with excellent access to all of the sights. We were treated like old friends when we arrived, and given a flat-out beautiful room. An octogonal room with large bathroom, gorgeous furnishings and terrific bathroom. We were in heaven. After check-in we were able to walk down to the Opera House, tour Maritimen, make our way to Haga, back through university and parks, feeling safe and secure. The hotel staff made every effort to make us feel like valued guests and I can not WAIT to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Couldn't have asked for more. Beautiful old hotel, excellent location bang in the centre of Gothenburg but nicely tucked away in a quiet street, easy walk to everything, excellent service - has that family-run feel where everyone working there wants you to have a great stay - love the Swedes. If i had to pick holes, our door handle came loose one day, but they promptly sorted it.
Book it!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Hotel Royal is about as central as you can get in Gothenburg, it is also very friendly and full of charm. It is family run and you can really tell, not as modern as most chain hotels, and the beds are not as comfortable as some, but it makes up for any short comings by being a genuinely nice place to be, I would definitely stay here again when visiting Gothenburg.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Royal in Gothenburg for a week in August (2010) for a conference and with my son. It was an excellent stay and I highly recommend to anyone. The hotel is beautiful-the oldest in Goteburg. I really cannot say enough nice things about the staff. Each and everyone was beyond friendly. They were helpful in a hundred ways, and always eager to please. The breakfast was excellent each morning...fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese, and traditional swedish fare. The location is ideal...very close to the train station and to all the main central city sites. The park running along the canal is a lovely spot for relaxing as well. Our room was a little small, but my son and I had no problem with it. Very clean, nice bathroom and shower, a work desk, and plenty of closet space. He and I took a sojourn to Stockholm (which of course is also lovely) but were so happy to return to our comfortable and friendly Hotel Royal. The internet access was very fast and free; there is a nice garden patio out back to relax (and smoke), and a quiet library/lounge area.

I haven't stayed anywhere else in Goteburg, but probably wouldn't now and feel terribly lucky to have selected Hotel Royal for this trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2010

It's been a while since our stay, but haven't gotten to write a review yet. This is by far one of the coziest hotels I have ever stayed in stayed in. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the reseptionist. He showed us around the hotel and told us everything we needed to know on our little "tour." He even asked us if we were smoking so that he could show us the charming backyard decorated for christmas and where we could find blankets to take outside with us. The entire hotel was by the way decorated so nicely for christmas with candlelights and an incredible smell of christmas! Got the holiday spirit right away!
Our room was HUGE! We had booked a superiour room, and was pleasantly surprised by the size and the decor. The room was almost too big! The bathroom was delicate and very clean. So was the rest of the hotel and the room.
The staff was amazing, helping out with everything we needed.
Breakfast was really good and there were plenty of space in the breakfast area. The last day we were even invited to "St. Lucia" celebration (a scandinavian tradition) in the breakfastroom were we listned to the choire sing and were served sweet buns.
Location is superb! You can't come any closer to main attractions, but since hotel is situated in a quiet street noice is not at all an issue!
This is my one and only hotel choice in Gothenburg, and if you are looking for personal service and an intimate amtosphere this is the place for you too!
Will be back in desember!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed for almost a week at the Hotel Royal. The staff are unfailingly cheerful and helpful. The hotel has, as free extras, wifi (also cable tv) and, in the afternoon, endlessly replenished delicious homemade cake. And the hotel is located within walking distance of most attractions. I gave the room (as distinct from the hotel as a whole) a three star rating rather than a higher one because my room was very small and lacked a fridge; I think the other rooms also lack a fridge. But, really, this hardly mattered. I was not in my room much of the time and was eating out frequently. My room overlooked a courtyard which was quiet; some of the other rooms overlook a street and I am not sure, accordingly, how quiet those rooms are. But my experience of Hotel Royal was first rate overall and, as a seasoned traveller, I recommend it enthusiastically.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business