“3.5 stars. Dropped from 5.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Royal Gothenburg

Hotel Royal Gothenburg
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Gothenburg
Oslo, Norway
“3.5 stars. Dropped from 5.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

We visited Hotel Royal last december and were so happy to have found this hotel. Everything was PERFECT and the hotel had such a wonderful atmosphere. Got the christmas feeling right away!
This year though.... When we wanted to check in the guy at the reception just looked at us. No welcome, no smile, no nothing. Last year we were greeted as old friends.
We were told the room was not ready for us although we arrived 15 minutes after check in time. Had to wait about an hour. No apologie what so ever. The staff wasn't at all like last year when they recognised you and had your key ready when you came back from shopping, dinner etc, and chatted with us when we passed by as guest in their own home.
The room was nice and very, very clean. The beds are amazing! Hosekeeping is excellent, and the housekeepers were really friendly. Room was spotless every day.
Breakfast was good, but it was too crowded. White tablecloths looks elegant, but not with jam, coffe and orange juice smeared over them. Replace them when dirty or take them off! The tables didn't get cleaned fast enough so we ate with the company of leftovers, cups, glasses and plates every day.
I had great trouble rating the hotel this time, because I was so happy with it last year and not too happy with it this year. I don't know why it has dropped it's standards, but I suspect it has something too do with a lot more guests. The main problem is that the homey feeling and atmosphere is gone, and this is a big deal as the atmosphere is what makes this hotel special. It doesn't have a minibar, roomservice, restaurant or other features you would expect from a hotel that charges 1700 SEK a night, but that didn't matter when the amosphere was there. I'm willing too think that we were just unlucky this time and give the hotel 4 stars, but I'm not sure this hotel will be my only choice next year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

I loved this hotel, it's only five minutes walk from Central Station, perfectly located for getting about, and in an area that feels safe. The service was excellent, the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and professional. There is complimentary tea, coffee, mini pastries in the lobby, and a lovely lounge/bar area (there's no bar but you can buy drinks at reception), it's got such a relaxed feel and is lovely and warm. The breakfasts, typical of Sweden, are astonishingly good, and there are newspapers available too (I think just Swedish but didn't look for others). The rooms were gorgeous and clean although a single room is quite small - but I didn't mind. The hotel in general does have a lovely extravagant old feel and I didn't notice any Ikea furniture ;-)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgina P
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

We are used to staying at the major chains so it's always interesting when we venture off to an independent hotel like this. The hotel was in great condition, the room was clean and of a good size.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We met the owner and learned about the history of the hotel (such as the mural painted at the end of the top floor hallway was by a customer that couldn't pay his bill). They have a grand staircase which is picture worthy in itself.

There is no parking at the hotel, but the public parking lot is right across the street.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

As an American with not too much experience traveling abroad, I was looking for a hotel that was clean, safe, charming & Swedish, and a good value, with breakfast included. I really chose well with the Hotel Royal. It is a very charming building. Easily accessible to the train station, and my room was almost perfect. The room overlooked the cute courtyard of the hotel, and yes, it was compact, but very functional and not too small. It was quiet and pleasant staying in this hotel. I did stub my toe once or twice on the bathroom threshold that is a little awkward, I think other reviewers also mentioned this. But, that's really minor in my book, it was cleaned every day and had a comfortable single bed.

Best of all really were the hotel staff. They were so friendly, and nice, and the lady that first checked me in made sure I was aware of all Gothenburg had to offer. I got two restaurant recommendations that turned out to be the highlight meals of the trip. Not to mention the fantastic breakfast buffet they serve. The breakfast rooms are full of comfortable seating and all of the food was fresh. I was so pleased to have so many choices for breakfast - including fresh, tropical fruit! Finally, the homemade cake every afternoon was such a nice touch. I would love to return and bring my family, and I will be sure to stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

Staying at the Hotel Royal is like taking a walk back into history yet enjoying all the amenities of a modern hotel. The resortation and modernization of this hotel is truly remarkable. We would have liked to have taken our room home with us. It was a large room with a sleeping area as well as a spacious living room area. The bathroom was huge and modern. The room was decorated beautifully and you can tell that much thought had gone into making each room unique.

The location to every point of interest in the town is perfect. You can walk everywhere and if you get tired can hop on a bus or tram and be dropped off less than a block from the hotel. It is about a three minute walk to the central station so there is no need to get a cab or public transportaion when you are coming to or leaving town.

The breakfast area is elegant with a definite old world flavor. There is a great variety of food and the food is excellent tasting and also healthful. You get a regular key for your room which in this day of plastic is unique and refreshing.

This is more than just a hotel. It is an experience and shows what can happen when people decide to restore a great older building rather than tearing it down and building a chain hotel which looks like every other one of it's kind all over the world

I give this hotel an A+ and it is in the top five percent of all hotels that I have stayed in all parts of the world. I absolutely loved it!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanishBob
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

The hotel is perfectly located on the edge of the center of the old city within easy walking distance of shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. It is also just two blocks from the central station, tram lines, and airport bus stops. The hotel is oddly old-fashioned. It is the only modern city-center hotel I have ever stayed in where you leave your room key with the desk clerk, like in old movies.

Note that the rooms are not air conditioned.

Note also that the "single" rooms are truly tiny, with barely space to turn around, and that they allot you only *1* towel (and don't necessarily have extras available on request).

The staff were pleasant and of course available 24 hours a day to let you have your key so you can get into your room. The hotel is strangely both charming and functional at the same time, and the location really is perfect. No problems, but certainly not luxury.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

This hotel is absolutely lovely. Well situated only 2 blocks from Train Station, in a perfectly situated corner in a quiet area with excellent access to all of the sights. We were treated like old friends when we arrived, and given a flat-out beautiful room. An octogonal room with large bathroom, gorgeous furnishings and terrific bathroom. We were in heaven. After check-in we were able to walk down to the Opera House, tour Maritimen, make our way to Haga, back through university and parks, feeling safe and secure. The hotel staff made every effort to make us feel like valued guests and I can not WAIT to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business