“Lovely hotel, really well located”

Elite Plaza Hotel Goteborg
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights around Easter this year.

Really great stay, helpful staff and the room was lovely with a nice big bathroom.

Sauna and gym were both small but nice and really clean- they were more than happy to heat the sauna up on request.

Breakfast was also good- a mix of everything available.

I'd certainly stay here again, it's so close to the town centre it's easy to get everywhere.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Elite Plaza Hotel Goteborg

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The room I had had recently been renovated and was comfortable, but BEWARE there is a discotheque on the backside of the hotel which will keep you up weekends and end of the week late - best to be avoided by specifically requesting a room elsewhere in the hotel. At the FRONT of the hotel you have the tram lines which will keep you awake early. So not the best unless you're lucky with the room choice! Management gave me a different room in the middle of the night, but it's disappointing all the same and I'll stay elsewhere next time

Room Tip: See review - stay away from the back (disco) and front (trams) and go for the internal rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Beautiful hotel. I was lucky to get upgraded as well. Comfortable bed, flatscreen TV, minibar, free mineral water. Excellent breakfast. Perfect location.
The only negative thing was that the room was very warm, which made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I arrived at the hotel as a weary traveler with a backpack on my back. I was nervous because the reception desk was very fancy and I was very early (10:00 am). I was more than pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of the receptionists. They kindly took my information and then offered to let me check in early. It was such VIP treatment for a worn-out looking character such as myself. The room was glorious. The entry was fabulous, with artwork hanging everywhere. I especially liked the Christo drawings. The wifi was a bit weak, but in a hotel as nice as this you shouldn't spend time staring at a screen. There was street construction around the hotel which would make things difficult if you had a car. The breakfast was an incredible array of fresh and cooked items. I ate in the restaurant the next day and it was delicious. Again, the Elite Plaza's customer service was first class!

Room Tip: chose a room depending on where the street construction is not.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at this property from the 19th to the 22nd of March '14.

Arrived at the hotel at 23.00hrs only to be told that one instead of two rooms had been booked for us. I presented a hotel voucher which clearly stated that 2 units were booked however, the receptionist / night manager insisted that only one room was available as the hotel was full and that we were not entitled for a second room. After 30 minutes of arguing, the receptionist advised that the situation was what it was and he could do nothing else for us. We took the initiative to call the emergency number of our tour operator abroad from one of our mobile phones and after the tour operator spoke to the receptionist from our mobile phone, we were all of a sudden given the second room with no further ado. Unfortunately it took nearly another 45 minutes on our mobile phone at an overseas cost to finally get sorted! No apologies from the receptionist for the hotel manager during our stay for what seems to be a mistake made by the hotel.

I booked two superior twin rooms for single use as I know that usually single city hotel rooms are tiny and indeed, the superior twin room I was allocated was not large either. I do understand however that room sizes vary at this property. Besides the size of the room, the decor of the superior room was nice, and all amenities one would expect were present. Two things which I did not like were the heating which for my taste was too cold and the fact that there was no shower tray which takes some getting used to till one stops flooding the bathroom floor with water. The sink in the bathroom was clogged something I believe the maids should have reported prior to new guests checking in. I advised reception about the heating and the sink. A heater was sent up immediately and the sink was unblocked. So immediate action was taken which I appreciated.

A tram service runs through most of the night which can be a bit noisy if you have a window to the front of the hotel

The breakfast offered the basic items with a small choice of cold cuts and hot items. Coffee is self service from a machine. Waitresses in the breakfast room where very nice and friendly.

The bar is small but cosy and the bar staff very friendly.

Our pick up from the hotel was at 04.14hrs. We were not offered any tea / coffee prior to leaving which would have been appreciated especially since no tea/coffee making facilities are offered in the room. If this was available then it was not offered to us.....

Location was great. Only a few walking minutes from the center and five minutes by taxi from the exhibition center.

Positives:

Restaurant morning staff very friendly and helpful.
Bar staff very friendly and helpful.
Requests dealt with efficiently.
Location very central.

Negatives:

Reception staff not too friendly and this is the only department which would not let me say that the service in the hotel in general is excellent.
Room was cold.
No shower tray in bathroom.
No early breakfast / tea or coffee for early departures.
A tram service runs through most of the night.

Room Tip: A tram service runs through most of the night which can be a bit noisy if you have a window to the f...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

My 1st time staying in an Elite Hotel. Room was fantastic. Bed was established sleep I have had in a long time. Room had true blackout curtains. Room temp great for sleeping not to hot not to cold and not dry. Awesome breakfast and supper staff. I shall return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank intheair8888
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I only moved over to this hotel as the Post was full for the last night of my stay, but as Gothenburg's only 5 star, I still had high hopes even though it is not the normal style of hotel I'd chose for a city break preferring slightly more character.

Check in was swift in the reception area which was nicely laid out, but the staff were not over friendly and welcoming. The building was formerly a bank so the layout is slightly unconventional, but still nice enough.

However, what ended up being the real disappointment was the size of the room. I did book a single, but this was one of the smallest singles I have seen for a long time and whilst it was very clean and tidy, by modern standards it was just too small in my view. Of course as long as it is priced properly it should still be a reasonable option.

Breakfast at 10am on a Sunday was really busy and arguably the room was barely big enough to cater for the number of people. Yes, there was a good selection of food, but it felt cramped and just didn't quite work for me. At least the staff quota was good so tables could be turned around quickly, but because it was a little hectic, you really didn't feel like staying long.

Other than that, I was only there for a night so can't comment on other facilities although I am not sure it had any leisure / work out rooms.

To sum up, this has probably been one of Gothenburg's best for many years, but time and the competition has really caught up and I think a re-think of strategy is needed going forwards. It has a good team of staff, but this is a tough market and I would put my money elsewhere for now.

Room Tip: Be aware that the single rooms are very small indeed, however the doubles are perfectly good (I did...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends