I traveled to Gothenburg every week during the past many months for business, and I have been staying in a few hotels around the central area just to experience the differences. I gave Rica a four star rating due to the fact that it's really clean, cozy, comfy, functioning and quiet (although my room was right infront of the elevator and on the 3 floor facing the railroad). Yes you could hear the trains passing by, but absolutely not loud or anything close to that, and the traffic is normally quite calm and quiet during the night, and the walls are rather thick in Nordic countries, so as the carpet in this hotel, all these help to reduce the noise. I am a light sleeper by nature, but none of these really bothered my stay. Breakfast was awesome to my standard, apart from those basic/standard selections, they also serve different smoothies, fresh fruit, bacon, omelette, gravlax and other local delicacies. The location of this hotel is roughly 500 - 700m from the central railway station or the nearest tram strop, which is convenient enough. If you are coming here for the first time, you might find the location a bit unpromising, because it is quite in the "backstreet" area, facing the railway, rather dark and quiet.. but it is safe. There are also residential in the same neighborhood, which also explain the quietness as well.
Why I mentioned about not worth the price is because: Rica costs nearly double comparing to some of the centrally located hotels, e.g. Clarion, Scandic, Grand... etc.. In Rica you get:
bathrobe, slippers, sewing kit and some toiletries in additional, otherwise everything else such as breakfast, quality of the bed, pillows, service level are rather similar...So, its up to you how you want to spend your money, or set your value. :)
So, to be honest I only stay here for two reasons:
1) when all the hotels in the central area are fully booked, or
2) when I miss this Thai restaurant (Niyom Thai) across the street on Färgaregatan 4. This is a small restaurant operated by a Thai family, not really fancy or promising from the outside when you walk pass by, because its more like a fast-food setting, you won't see many eaters either, because most people come here for take-away. You could get a meal with soft drink for 80 sek, very tasty and feels very "homecook"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Scandic No. 25 is centrally located in Gothenburg with the city's major shopping amenities, many restaurants and a rich cultural life, all within easy reach. Liseberg amusement park and the fashionable avenue Avenyn are just around the corner, and the hotel's proximity to Gothenburg Central Station makes it easy for you to go on excursions to the coast and the archipelago. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Scandic No. 25 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rica Hotel Gothenburg
- Rica Motel Gothenburg