“Nice hotel but noisey on Saturday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandic No. 25

Scandic No. 25
Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but noisey on Saturday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel makes a great first impression with a smart lobby and the rooms though small are well equipped. They don't however have any tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms which was annoying. An empty fridge was a good addition though. The hotel was busy during our stay but breakfast was always very well stocked with the nice addition of pancakes. The breakfast was a great start to the day.

Our room looked onto the railway line but we never had a problem with noise. We did however have a problem with very loud music from the lobby. We had been out enjoying a drink in the bar terrace earlier in the night but went to bed as we had an early checkout. The bar was eventually brought into the lobby with exceptionally loud music. My partner went down to lobby to see how loud it was there and then made a complaint about the volume. The volume was never turned down though and we complained again by phone (still nothing happened) until 1am when the bar closed. If this is a regular occurrence then I would avoid staying here at the weekend if you want a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Try get a room higher up - we were on the first floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My first impressions of the hotel were good with the lobby and breakfast area/restaurant area well presented and clean. The room was pretty basic but none the less comfortable and clean. The hotel is situated close to the railway and tram lines but I wouldn't say that they were a problem with noise. What we did have a problem with was the very loud music that was played at reception on saturday night right through to the early hours. Twice we complained for the music to be turned down as we had an early check out on the sunday morning but still the music played at the same noise level. In summary a decent hotel on weekdays but avoid at weekends if you want to get some sleep.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This could have been a average 3 star hotel located in a backstreet leaving you untouched, BUT the first impression was a surprisingly warm welcoming reception area and service and the last impression was a sumptuous breakfast with good stuff like homemade musli, fruit sallad and pancakes. The room was small but clean and well maintained. The bathroom seemed very newly renovated and was stylish. The bed was good and even though I had the window open, I could hear no noice. It was dark when we arrived, and I could see nothing from my window. Looking out in the morning I stared straight in to a several meters tall bright yellow fence. As a coincidence it was a sunny morning with blue sky, so it was like looking at a Swedish flag!

The location is great in central Gothenburg.
I really recommend this hotel and will choose this for coming trips to Gothenburg.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Familyon2r
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at Rica Hotel no. 25 for two nights (single bedroom). The welcoming and service at front desk was really good. The room was clean and fresh and newly renovated. The bathroom has a luxurious feeling to it.
The breakfast is really good, pancakes, scramble eggs, croissants, etc – i.e a very nice selection of food in general. The atmosphere at breakfast is very welcoming with a warm and cozy interior.

The door at the hotel room locks itself after 30 seconds, so please be aware that you can't close the door and then press the door handle to see if it's locked, since the door will open. After a call to the front desk, I found out that the solution is to either wait 30 seconds for the door to lock, or use your key card to the room and lock the door immediately when you leave your room.

The location is quite close to the central station, although if you want to stay close to the attractions in Gothenburg (avenyn, Liseberg etc), then you'll find other hotels with much better locations.

Would I stay here again? If Rica could offer a gym, then I would say definitely "YES".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in the perfect location in Gothenburg. It is 5 minute walk from the Central Station (where airport bus leaves/arrives from) and walking distance to most of Gothenburg's fabulous sites. The rooms were fine, clean and simple with a good sized shower in the ensuite. The best thing about this hotel is the wonderful breakfast - ranging from traditional continental, hot food, pancakes, desserts, fruit station, cereals, granola, freshly squeezed juices and much more. Perfect start to a day walking around the city. The waiting staff were also incredibly nice and attentive. Will definitely recommend to friends and family

Stayed April 2014
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I care about breakfast, and I really enjoy it when I get a delicious hotel breakfast. This hotel served me the best breakfast I have gotten so far in Sweden. I just loved it. I loved the service, the freshly prepared dishes, the quality of the food, the fruit salad, the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, etc. Yum! I also had a lovely decorated room on the top floor. The window was facing the railway, and I could hear the trains from my room, but it didn’t actually bother me when going to sleep. Only thing I missed in my room was a writing desk to do some work in the evening. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the railway station.

I would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nemi_42
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Usually when traveling in Norden I have tended to frequent Scandic based on the fact I know what to expect and the breakfast is usually excellent. But after getting an offer in the mail for a room at almost half the normal price it seemed crazy not to try something a bit better.

Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations. The check-in girl was friendly and efficient and everything was as expected with the booking. On arriving we found the lobby to be cozy with a live fire and well decorated in the spirt of christmas. We had driven from Malmö and arrived quite late in the evening - to find a brew of hot glögg and peppakakor was really a nice touch.

The room is small, but fully equipped with everything from a flat screen TV to a minibar. Our room had a fantastic view over Göteborg Central station - which brings me to my next point - location. This hotel is located just behind the station, a perfect location in other words. We drove up, and parking was a bit of a hassle for which you have two options: pay the hotel 225k per 24hrs for garage parking or you can try your luck on the street where the prices vary from 2kr/hour to 30kr/hour depending on where you park and the time/day. If you can avoid taking the car and take the train this hotel has even more appeal.

Bed was extremely comfortable and despite the vicinity to Göteborg C, we heard no noise from outside. The bathroom has a fantastic big shower (spacious with good pressure) but a few small gripes here: the shower doors didn't close properly resulting in water on the floor .. and while I give kudos for hotel not using disposable soap/shampoo containers, the wall-mounted dispensers were kinda useless.

The breakfast exceeded Scandic quality and the fresh pancakes were a special treat as well as freshly made smoothies in shot glasses The dining area is very cozy in a rustic kind of way but perhaps a little small on the verge of being crowded - but hey, I like my space, especially in the morning. But this was a minor. The breakfast was A-grade.

Staff throughout were friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I heard that Scandic have now purchased Rica Hotels - lets hope they don't Scandify this too much and keep some of the charm.

Room Tip: Higher floor gives great views of Göteborg
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple